MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    No.

A professional career isn't for everyone.
    This.

I dont regret the studies Ive done though and there are two other degrees im contemplating getting, just for. Fun and out of interest.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

More or less. I was lucky enough to "choose" my career out of my interests (economics, then later changed to mathematical finance). I was unlucky enough to "start" my career during one of the worst recessions that ever hit my home country in the last 30 years, so I've had to move to find a suitable job.

I'm never fully satisfied with my decisions or with my current situation so it's hard for me to give an objective evaluation. If I try to look at my life from the outside, I have a fairly well paid job (without much security, but with employable skills), in a well respected institution, where I have to solve really complex problems but I'm given complete freedom on how to go about it, have no fixed office hours and really nice and smart colleagues.
    Sometimes the complexity of the problems is too much for me and I long for a simpler job in the nature but then I might get bored so...
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

I got a degree in Computer Engineering. Perfect career choice, no regrets. The only downside is that I was too well-rounded and well-experienced coming out of college (started programming when I was 13-14), and so there was a lot of jealousy by management and they worked to box me in and hold me back (the usual shit). The politics of the workplace aside, I'm a natural born programmer. I was born to do it. These days, I think it's about time for me to branch out on my own so I don't have to deal with the BS and have it hold me back. Whatever ability or potential I have, I need to maximize it's impact on the world around me (obviously not in a humanitarian way). I need to start innovating, inventing, contributing, etc.. and not a lot of that was happening on the job.

Knowing what I know now, I'd probably have tried to start my career off at a better company, or worked more aggressively toward becoming an entrepreneur, but no matter how many ways I spin it, my hands were tied. I needed at least a few years of company experience before I'd be ready. That said, I mainly wanted the experience to see how things run in an office and to build a network of contacts. I suppose I've done the former, but due to the low quality of the employees around me and how much time my job took, I didn't develop that network as I had planned.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Don't go to law school, yo.
    Somewhat this....

Although, I've benefited greatly from the things I've learned there (how to approach problems etc..).

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

other thought here... study a foreign language... the way that it makes you think differently than you usually do is definitely a benefit that's too rarely touted! Also, experience in practicing that language on native speakers can give you some serious sympathy (and awesome points!) with those who speak english as a second language...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    other thought here... study a foreign language... the way that it makes you think differently than you usually do is definitely a benefit that's too rarely touted! Also, experience in practicing that language on native speakers can give you some serious sympathy (and awesome points!) with those who speak english as a second language...
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

So if English is your 2nd language, what do I do, learn a 3rd language? ... I bet it will have to be one that windows supports

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I do think my career choice has been worth it.

Although the crooked path my life has taken, has been stressful to say the least, the result is that I'm a more well rounded person than I would have been had I just gone to Poli Sci grad school and called it a day.

I don't know what I would do given the chance to go back and do it all over again.

Finance seems like a good fit and I'm very excited for it.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    So if English is your 2nd language, what do I do, learn a 3rd language? ... I bet it will have to be one that windows supports
    learning english counts as learning a second language if it IS a second language

not that I wouldn't advocate throwing in a third... even though my third is SIGNIFICANTLY better spoken than written
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    learning english counts as learning a second language if it IS a second language

not that I wouldn't advocate throwing in a third... even though my third is SIGNIFICANTLY better spoken than written
    Hmm... I guess I should try a Latin based language, Portuguese. I tried, but I suck at it. Sucks when nobody talks back to you.