First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I've got a question I would like to pose to all those employed folks out there in radio land, for the benefit of all those who haven't graduated yet.

Given what you've learned since you've been out of school and working, has your Major/Career choice been worth it?

I would especially like to hear from all you folks with soft science, and humanities degrees.
    I had a double major in accounting and computer science. Years later, I thought about an MBA from a top 10 MBA school but decided to get a masters in computer science instead. After several years in industry, I ultimately ended up in consulting.

Overall, I think the degrees were a good choice - especially the masters degree because when I did that, I focused my studies on the area where I ended up doing consulting and it gave me an edge in knowledge at exactly the right time. I never used the accounting degree or CPA at all but getting a degree in business and having that basic foundation, has I think been helpful. I think I'm pretty good at consulting, enjoy it and financially it has been rewarding, so it's pretty much worked out.

The two things I wish I'd learned more about in college were how to write and better discipline in how to think. I think some liberal arts programs are better at that stuff. I ended up learning those things on the job.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    My dear, I have no degree. I have no job, either. I was a SAHM for many long years, got divorced, and had to find a way to make a living to support myself and my kids. I'm one of those infamous poor people hard at work milking the system. It's paying off, too. I'll be done with school next May and already going on to UW to finish up with a bachelor's in health informatics. I really want to go into telemedicine...really bad. But I think some personal issues are going to limit my horizons to abstracting registries. That's okay because I can work from home doing this.

If I had it over, I would have stayed my tail in school and finished getting my degree in cytogenetics instead of staying at home with my child to please my ex. Even now, I wish I could do epidemiology but there are life choices and circumstances that limit possibilities. It pinches to know that I've (foolishly) thrown so much away but I'm too pragmatic to cry over that for long.
    One thing I've learned is that life can surprise you in the most wonderful of ways, if you are open to receiving it. And things that may seem disconnected at first, will reveal themselves to be perfectly aligned to lead you to where you eventually needed/ wanted to go.

Don't give up. Keep sight of Epidemiology if that is what you truly desire. It's a great field. You never know.

I studied civil engineering... it was pretty good, worked for several years in that field but it wasn't a great mesh with my personality and lifestyle goals... just started a Dr of Physical Therapy program and this one seems already like a better fit.

Was it "worth it"?

Can't say. I don't think I'd re-do things differently. That career gave me a lot of insight/perspective and I don't think I'd have been up for a Dr degree at age like 22 or whatnot.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I studied civil engineering... it was pretty good, worked for several years in that field but it wasn't a great mesh with my personality and lifestyle goals... just started a Dr of Physical Therapy program and this one seems already like a better fit.

Was it "worth it"?

Can't say. I don't think I'd re-do things differently. That career gave me a lot of insight/perspective and I don't think I'd have been up for a Dr degree at age like 22 or whatnot.
    Can't imagine you as a civil engineer, not because you're not capable because you are, but that it's such a cold, clinical, nitpicky occupation for you.

MBTI
    INTJ

Don't go to law school, yo.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I'm mostly just here to listen, since I don't consider myself into my "career" phase. I'm enjoying reading; thank you to everyone who's sharing.

As for what I can speak to...

Essentially, my winding path has brought unexpected blessings. My future is bright and I am happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar
    That's what I've heard lately. I have quite a handful of friends and relatives who are in it now. Most of the ones I know well have parents or other close family who are in law, so at least they have a taste of what they're getting into. They say the same about med school too, and that's the track my brother's on. My feelings on it right now - on any advanced schooling program, really - are don't go unless you know the realities of the profession and you know you won't be as happy doing anything else. At least for my brother, I think he's exactly the right type of person to be a fantastic doctor, and science is both a talent and passion for him, so I'm trying to help make that a reality for him. As for others... well, maybe they'll have a more winding road too, but I hope they end up happy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I do work, I get paid, and now I own the eighth generation. I don't see how my current career path would give me or anyone else dissatisfaction.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Wurddd

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

My unsolicited advice: get an undergraduate degree, but don't get a graduate degree unless 1) you absolutely need it to advance in your career path AND you've thoroughly researched that path and know you want it or 2) you need the degree for licensure.

If you're smart, you can qualify yourself based on your experience and your portfolio/resume. You can build up all of those either by freelancing or by working your way up, or better yet, by taking jobs at startups where you can use the company to explore and build your resume by assuming multiple roles. Most of what you need to know you can learn through the internet, magazines and trade publications, and books (sometimes). Most higher ed programs aren't going to give you practical knowledge; they're going to feed you theory that's almost entirely useless once you get out there and start working. Magazines and blogs are a much better way to stay current and build confidence.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

No.

A professional career isn't for everyone.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.