• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The science of introverts and the workplace

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why not? How could it be anything other than a manifestation of introversion? What would it have to do with?

It could also correlate with social anxiety... I read "introvert" literature and often tend to relate because I tend to be socially anxious, though an extravert. I really don't like people putting me on the spot.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was trying to point out that there's nothing inherently more annoying or rude about a salesperson asking you if you need help than there is a customer asking a salesperson for help. But then they get paid to be helpful.
The two situations are not at all equivalent. The salesperson's inquiry may not be rude, but it can be unwelcome and intrusive. If the salesperson finds customer inquiries inherently unwelcome and intrusive, he/she is in the wrong line of work. It is their job to respond to the customer, not the other way around.

It does relate to introversion, and possibly other functions as well. I dislike most casual interactions, hate being interrupted, and hate being asked the same stupid questions over and over by people who cannot be bothered to read available information or put 2 and 2 together. That being said, when I have held retail jobs (and I have), I understood responding effectively to customers was part of the job, and oriented my work habits and mindset to support it. I was always complimented for my politeness and patience with customers. That's the difference between choice and preference, as well as between salesperson and customer.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It could also correlate with social anxiety... I read "introvert" literature and often tend to relate because I tend to be socially anxious, though an extravert. I really don't like people putting me on the spot.

I don't think it's entirely social anxiety.... I also have a dislike for unwelcome distractions.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think it's entirely social anxiety.... I also have a dislike for unwelcome distractions.

No, I am sure you are right that the primarily correlation is introversion and that it is not entirely correlated with social anxiety. I was not meaning to contest that. But I do think these points can also correlate with other attributes than introversion.

I just wanted to note that much of this literature also is applicable to people with social anxiety. I might be an "extravert" but I am in the club of those who would like more introvert culture in the workplace. :)

People IRL generally think I am introverted and I do not contradict that because I would prefer a more introverted world anyway.

The current typical corporate culture seems to driven by those who benefit from it, and is a self-perpetuating thing. Those of us who do not like it so much gravitate away from it and therefore do not benefit from it, but as this body of literature suggests, I think there would be much benefit from welcoming other types of relation.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The current typical corporate culture seems to driven by those who benefit from it, and is a self-perpetuating thing. Those of us who do not like it so much gravitate away from it and therefore do not benefit from it, but as this body of literature suggests, I think there would be much benefit from welcoming other types of relation.

I suppose that is a valid point, that this stuff can apply to people with social anxiety who are not introverted. So maybe it shouldn't just refer to introverts in the article/book.

baccheion

Well, I definitely think an open plan workplace is stupid, and that sitting people too close to each other is also a bad idea. Separate from that, I find it very difficult to function in such environments. I don't know why all these engineering startups (engineering is notorious for introverts) are employing these stupid things to force people to talk to each other or to save money, or whatever stupid reason they have for doing it. All you are doing is increasing stress, tension, misery, and workplace dissatisfaction. The idea should be to move away from the typical office environment and the typical etiquette/bullshit that everyone complains about and that Dilbert made it's name bringing to light to something that makes more sense. But instead they make the same problems worse, then claim that what they are doing fixes these problems.

Collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration. These idiots can take anything that's fairly straightforward, or that makes sense, and butcher it until it's just more of the same old thing. Collaboration, done well, can be a good thing, but then, as always, they find a way to shove it down everyone's throat until it becomes a source of pain and completely watered down and meaningless.

I also hate the forced socialization of modern engineering graduates. It seems they are being forced to be more social (do it or fail miserably), and are getting dumber for not being able to focus on learning. It's like they are trying to wire out introversion, or make introverts even more miserable or strained in everyday life. This is bullshit.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I suppose that is a valid point, that this stuff can apply to people with social anxiety who are not introverted. So maybe it shouldn't just refer to introverts in the article/book.

Well I would appreciate if the literature were more welcoming to me as a non-introvert... I'm not even good at playing at business-style extraversion. It's so much fakery and showmanship... but I agree with all the content anyway, so logically it's moot. I support it regardless. But it would be nice. :)

CapLawyer said:
The idea should be to move away from the typical office environment and the typical etiquette/bullshit that everyone complains about and that Dilbert made it's name bringing to light to something that makes more sense. But instead they make the same problems worse, then claim that what they are doing fixes these problems.

Collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration, collaboration. These idiots can take anything that's fairly straightforward, or that makes sense, and butcher it until it's just more of the same old thing. Collaboration, done well, can be a good thing, but then, as always, they find a way to shove it down everyone's throat until it becomes a source of pain and completely watered down and meaningless.

Yes you are so right. And I was talking to my coworker the other day, about how it is all so bizarrely backwards. Like the example of our system if you get hurt at work. You would think at a proper workplace, they would be worried about you and want to take care of your medical expenses. At my workplace, if you get hurt, they try to minimize the wound so you can get back to work and they make you answer questions about whether you were doing what you were supposed to be doing and whether you were wearing the right clothing, so they don't have to be responsible if they can find a loophole. Then they make you take a drug test, which is not unreasonable, but it is cruel to someone who is already down and out. And it shows how much they would like to avoid liability if possible. So HR ends up working against you, which is the exact opposite of what HR should be.

But that is not extraversion related. But it is the same thing. Taking something and inverting it to the same wrong pattern. Taking the letter of the law and inverting the spirit. Taking the good points of extraversion, like open communication, and forcing it into some bizarre rule-bound, forced, arbitrary checkmark on a list. Creating a waste of time that is counterproductive and creates a barrier to good collaboration.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I also hate the forced socialization of modern engineering graduates. It seems they are being forced to be more social (do it or fail miserably), and are getting dumber for not being able to focus on learning. It's like they are trying to wire out introversion, or make introverts even more miserable or strained in everyday life. This is bullshit.
+1000. Doing things by committee can take much longer to produce a result that is mediocre at best, trying to offend no one while including everyone. Bah. And you are quite correct about distracting those in technical fields from the meat of their work, and their strengths. (Are you in engineering?)

Yes you are so right. And I was talking to my coworker the other day, about how it is all so bizarrely backwards. Like the example of our system if you get hurt at work. You would think at a proper workplace, they would be worried about you and want to take care of your medical expenses. At my workplace, if you get hurt, they try to minimize the wound so you can get back to work and they make you answer questions about whether you were doing what you were supposed to be doing and whether you were wearing the right clothing, so they don't have to be responsible if they can find a loophole. Then they make you take a drug test, which is not unreasonable, but it is cruel to someone who is already down and out. And it shows how much they would like to avoid liability if possible. So HR ends up working against you, which is the exact opposite of what HR should be.
Most safety regulations have far less to do with keeping people safe than with sparing the organization lawsuits.

Misplaced priorities all round.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
644517_10151615805308179_1596207955_n.jpg

W

WhoCares

I work for a company dominated by (it was company policy for at least a decade to specfically hire) extroverted party people. The result? 6 billions emails a week on how they are recognising our brilliant people but a complete and total inability to get even the basics right. Our logistics dept hasnt a clue how to find its own arse with two hands let alone deliver a product to the customer. There is an inordinate amount of focus on focus groups, conference calls and getting the right PR in the newspapers. In the meantime the company goes from one crisis management weekend to the next. Guess they thought introverts interfered with the feel good factor in the office, too bad no-ones actually focused on the day to day operation of the business. :doh: i give it about 9 months before it folds.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
hmm.. I think introverts can be a boon, though it depends on the MBTI type.

INTPs and INTJs can do well in generating ideas, reasoning out strategies, and tend to be teflon-like. they don't give a shit about being liked, but about getting things done. IMHO, a good manager should have either at his or her side, as s/he would always have somebody to generate/vet ideas.

Introverts may not make small talk, but then this depends I guess on how other co-workers respond and their needs, and the industry and corporate culture. I personally am not one for small talk and endless chit chat, but then to be fair I'm there to work, not hang out. I generally hang out more and am far more open when i'm at a party or bar.