First 1234 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post

At one of my current jobs, there is a plan to make everyone into a customer adviser whose job it is to prowl the shop floor offering help to anyone who 'appears' to need it.
    I actually hate it when employees of some store do this. I know they have to, but it just makes me feel uncomfortable, and I'm likely to actually leave quicker. If I 'look confused" I'm usually not, I'm just thinking instead of immediately buying something on impulse. I don't appreciate being interrupted or called out on that.. and I actually feel a little insulted that they think I "look lost". Then I remind myself that they'll get reprimanded if they don't do it.

The trouble with both of those is that they are inherently irrational and so we end up with workplaces that benefit certain styles of people and reject others, under the delusion that the issue lies with those it does not benefit, instead of perceiving just how that entrenched system falls short of people who are different.
    It's odd, in that I realized that, where I work, I will never be penalized for making mistakes, no matter how obvious, and instead, I can be penalized for not having a pleasant enough attitude. Very odd.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I actually hate it when employees of some store do this. I know they have to, but it just makes me feel uncomfortable, and I'm likely to actually leave quicker. If I 'look confused" I'm usually not, I'm just thinking instead of immediately buying something on impulse. I don't appreciate being interrupted or called out on that.. and I actually feel a little insulted that they think I "look lost". Then I remind myself that they'll get reprimanded if they don't do it.
    Conversely if you did need help would you ask for it? And if you didn't ask for help but needed it would you be upset that no one offered to help you?

They need to ask customers if they need help because many people who genuinely do need assistance won't ask for it and will be upset at the "poor customer service".

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Conversely if you did need help would you ask for it? And if you didn't ask for help but needed it would you be upset that no one offered to help you?
    I would, actually. I have no problem with going up to someone and asking questions.

And I wouldn't be upset that no one offered to help me. If I couldn't figure something out, and didn't bother to ask anyone for help, that's my own damn fault.

They need to ask customers if they need help because many people who genuinely do need assistance won't ask for it and will be upset at the "poor customer service".
    Well, I would have no problem calling those people "entitled." If you're not smart enough to go up to someone and ask them a question, you don't deserve help. Adults shouldn't be expected to be treated like children. I get the companies will cater to this because of profits, but I don't think it's healthy for society.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

I would, actually. I have no problem with going up to someone and asking questions.
    I actually hate it when employees of some store customers do this. I know they have to, but it just makes me feel uncomfortable, ... I don't appreciate being interrupted ... Then I remind myself that they'll I'll get reprimanded if they I don't do it.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

And? I don't consider it to be a shocking revelation that I hate my job. I already know that.

I don't understand. I think if you swap out someone's words, it doesn't count as a contradiction.

Being asked questions isn't one of my issues with my job, though. Answering questions and babysitting are two entirely different things.

Visit my Johari:

And? I don't consider it to be a shocking revelation that I hate my job. I already know that.

I don't understand. I think if you swap out someone's words, it doesn't count as a contradiction.
    I was trying to point out that there's nothing inherently more annoying or rude about a salesperson asking you if you need help than there is a customer asking a salesperson for help. But then they get paid to be helpful.

What you said struck a chord with me because I used to feel the same way when I was younger, that's all. Eventually I got over myself and accepted that someone talking to me isn't a horrible thing.

It's entirely different from some sleazy salesperson trying to push a product or service on you. That I would gripe about. I find it far more annoying that Best Buy has a policy that its employees don't receive a sales commission yet they do have incentives (I'm not sure whether it's a commission or a quota) to try to sell you "service plans" and "accessories".

I think my overarching point is that there's nothing inherently unpleasant about this sort of low-level employee-customer interaction, so it shouldn't be conflated with the difficulties that higher-level 'institutional' problems may pose on introverts in a workplace.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I was trying to point out that there's nothing inherently more annoying or rude about a salesperson asking you if you need help than there is a customer asking a salesperson for help. But then they get paid to be helpful.
    There isn't, not really. It's just my own personal irritation.

What you said struck a chord with me because I used to feel the same way when I was younger, that's all. Eventually I got over myself and accepted that someone talking to me isn't a horrible thing.
    There's also the fear that I'll snap rudely at them, and then they'll be offended, and then I'll feel bad, but all I wanted to do was be left alone.

I think my overarching point is that there's nothing inherently unpleasant about this sort of low-level employee-customer interaction, so it shouldn't be conflated with the difficulties that higher-level 'institutional' problems may pose on introverts in a workplace.
    Not in the workplace, no, but in general. There's the expectation that I act happy that someone bothered me when I actually wanted to be left alone. The basic problem is that people don't understand the concept that someone might prefer to be left alone when, say, shopping for groceries, and that definitely seems related to a lack of understanding of introversion.

Visit my Johari:

That has very little to do with being introverted.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Why not? How could it be anything other than a manifestation of introversion? What would it have to do with?

You yourself said that you hated being pressured by salespeople. Who do you think is more likely to find that kind of thing objectionable? Introverts, or extroverts? I'm sure there are exceptions, but surely there is a relationship to introversion.

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    ISTP

This problem has a simple solution:

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietComf.../dp/B00D42A16E

Works like a charm.
    "My sister puts up a front so people won't know how vulnerable she really is. Me? I put up a front so people won't know how vulnerable I'm not." - Dexter