• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is money more important to you than what you're doing or vice versa?

Job you loved vs Job you hate but earned more money

• Total voters

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm wondering this. Pretend that you don't need money, just pretend, Would you take a job that earns a ton of money, but disliked. Or a job that earned a little money but loved?

edit: To clarify: Money is no concern in this situation.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't think I care for it anymore. Then again, I'm delusional.

I don't care about money that much, of course I've never had to do with out. I'm sure if I had to, I'd feel differently. I live off very little a month, parents help me out a little, but I'd rather have a job I enjoy than a job that I was earning tons of money.I suppose if I had grown up poor I'd feel differently. It could also be the fact I'm an NF

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm assuming I still need to work to have this money. Because if I didn't need to work, I'd be doing volunteer missions of some sort. Or being lazy.

It depends entirely on the job vs suiting my needs. What I've always wanted out of life requires money (traveling.. You don't need much, but to do it right you do need it.) and so if I found a job that allows me to do that, I'd work it whether the actual job sucked or not.

If traveling had to be done on my personal time, I'd take a crappy entry-level job that I could disappear from for weeks on end without people whining about it vs a good job that required me to be there reliably.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm assuming I still need to work to have this money. Because if I didn't need to work, I'd be doing volunteer missions of some sort. Or being lazy.

It depends entirely on the job vs suiting my needs. What I've always wanted out of life requires money (traveling.. You don't need much, but to do it right you do need it.) and so if I found a job that allows me to do that, I'd work it whether the actual job sucked or not.

If traveling had to be done on my personal time, I'd take a crappy entry-level job that I could disappear from for weeks on end without people whining about it vs a good job that required me to be there reliably.

I guess I should have made it clearer. Money isn't a concern in this situation, you have at least the basics covered, and are able to do whatever you want. Now you can't afford 72 siberian tigers (let's be reasonable)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm doing a new volunteer job which I absolutely love. And even though I'm earning no money, it's worth it to me. I'm gaining skills and I'm helping people learn english. I help adult students who don't speak english and it's great. I love it. Once I get more experience, I'm interested in going after a paid job as a classroom aide in adult continuing education classes. I don't want to teach a bunch of people at once. But I am good with one on one.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I guess I should have made it clearer. Money isn't a concern in this situation, you have at least the basics covered, and are able to do whatever you want. Now you can't afford 72 siberian tigers (let's be reasonable)

No tigers?! Do not want. >:c

Kk. In that case :D I think yeah, I'd stick to a crappy entry-level job that I didn't totally hate but I didn't love enough to dedicate real actual time to either.

I'm doing a new volunteer job which I absolutely love. And even though I'm earning no money, it's worth it to me. I'm gaining skills and I'm helping people learn english. I help adult students who don't speak english and it's great. I love it. Once I get more experience, I'm interested in going after a paid job as a classroom aide in adult continuing education classes. I don't want to teach a bunch of people at once. But I am good with one on one.

:heart:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm wondering this. Pretend that you don't need money, just pretend, Would you take a job that earns a ton of money, but disliked. Or a job that earned a little money but loved?

edit: To clarify: Money is no concern in this situation.

Well of course I'd do the job that I love. If money is irrelevant then why would you take a job that you liked less?

ygolo

My termites win
There is a balance to be struck.

Enjoying my work is very important for me but so is feeding myself and supporting a family in the future.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
There is a balance to be struck.

Enjoying my work is very important for me but so is feeding myself and supporting a family in the future.

Money is not an issue in this scenerio, you are taken care of

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate work no matter what, it's because I don't like being obligated to do something, so I'll probably never find a job that I will actually enjoy, but I settle for one I tolerate...and pays well.

And let me just say that running one's own business is an even bigger headache.

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
This has been a very serious question for me lately. It is one I keep going over & over in my head. Maybe it is because I reached my mid-thirties, because I recently lost a parent unexpectedly, or because I'm so completely stressed out at work, but it is an ever present thought. I know if I am going to make a career change then I need to do it now. There are lots of pros and cons to either choice.

I make pretty darn good $$$$ but I am definitely yearning for a change. I want to be fairly happy and not exhausted all the time like I am now. I want to use my inherent "NF-ery" to make a difference in people's lives. I get to do that some now but not like I want to deep down. Anyway, what holds me back is not all of the stuff I get to buy but instead deep, burning guilt. My family got used to a comfier life financially....it's better than we have ever had. If I quit my job, we could still make it OK on my husband's salary for a while. However, the coolest new gadgets, electronics, clothes, shoes etc. that they get does seem to make them pretty happy. I always struggle with "taking that away" by making less money. It feels like it would be very selfish to do that & that I should just keep going-doing what I'm doing-until I can't handle it even one more day.

I struggle between not acting like a martyr or being selfish. I despise both things from a values standpoint. I get confused by all of it internally quite a bit & always wonder what the truth really is. What is the best long term choice? I hate being in a state of indecision but it is where I am at.

I took the long way to answer this question with a long story and no real answer....sorry:(

Qre:us

You can be making a lot of money doing a job that you theoretically love, but other peripheral factors to the job can make it a zero sum game, sometimes

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
If I didn't need money I wouldn't have a job at all.
^ This. I don't love jobs. So I'd either not work at all or do it only for "extra money" (and even then, only sporadically).

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

That's awesome prplz. Maybe you could afford to patent the socks idea!

The answers in this thread have provided some evidence on my view of work and money. Essentially we are born into it and then trapped by it. Even those at the top struggle with this, perhaps even more so, as they delude themselves into thinking more will help.

Then they wake up to find there is no way out and they are stuck in the very systems they champion as much a victim as anyone else.

W

WhoCares

Would have been an actual decision if money was a concern. But as it stands, a no brainer.