• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why isn't "affirmative action" based on socioeconomic status instead of race?

Mole

Permabanned
On one hand, there is such an advantage to being white that I understand why affirmative action exists as it does.

On the other hand, I always believe that socio-economic class is the strongest, most serious form of discrimination and disenfranchisement.

So, I kind of see it both ways.

In theory a proper system would coordinate a whole bunch of different factors about a person to create a sort of rating. The problem is that making a working policy out of theory can sometimes be very difficult.

Yes, I entirely agree with you. If we had a national programme of giving regular employment to the economically impoverished, we would improve our society enormously.