123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

Default Goals are for losers

I enjoyed Scott Adams' take on success in the article he wrote recently, specifically:

To put it bluntly, goals are for losers. That's literally true most of the time. For example, if your goal is to lose 10 pounds, you will spend every moment until you reach the goal—if you reach it at all—feeling as if you were short of your goal. In other words, goal-oriented people exist in a state of nearly continuous failure that they hope will be temporary.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...html?mod=topix
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

I agree. Philosophies and mantras are much more powerful, because they follow and guide everything you do. Goals and New Years Resolutions either get tossed out, ignored, or aren't what you get in the end.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    yupp

I gave up on goals and long term plans.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

The one thing I'm wondering right now is how to break into the drug trade. Not because I do drugs or even care about them, but because there's money to be made in that field. Anyone have any pointers that doesn't involve going to school to work at CVS?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I agree that, for guiding life, philosophies and mantras are strong and powerful tools in comparison to goals.

But I don't agree with the OP's quote at all otherwise. A goal is something to strive for. If you have a goal to finish school, it is a temporary and set concrete thing to look at. You aren't a loser while you're actively working towards something. A kid learning to play football isn't a loser because he's practicing to become better even if he wouldn't win any games right now. That mentality is so... pretentious. "Oh, you made a goal to lose 10 lbs? I don't have any weight to lose. *sips tea, calls security to drag the fat-ass out of there.*" If you have anything to challenge yourself, and you are actively striving for something, I'm sorry, but that sounds like a damn goal to me.

You say: I follow the mantras of Buddha.
    I say: You have a goal to live your life like a Buddhist.

Sounds the same to me. Grammar doesn't change the amount of effort you put towards something. You can have a philosophy on something, but you can also say just as easily you have a goal to live your life within a certain philosophy. I just don't see the difference.

Where people mess up on goals is HOW they word them. "I'm going to lose 10 lbs." Great. That's a wish though, really, in different words. "I'm going to stick to this work out & diet plan in this book here in the attempt to lose 10 lbs in the next 2 months." Now, that, is a goal. It has set, definite parameters, with a definable start point, end point, and feasible means of accomplishment.

Yes, people are flimsy with goals and resolutions a lot of the time.. that tends to happen in general though. They say they aren't liars and then tell white lies, that's humanity. I don't think that people misusing a hammer makes a hammer less efficient at the job of driving nails though.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Well, okay. Maybe that's true but consider these 3 things:

a) some people get bored not having goals. They will take the emotional hit in spite of
    b) some people naturally have massive egos that need to be self-balanced
    c) some goals are survival-based and are undertaken mostly for survival.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Only those with no willpower think goals are stupid and unachievable.

I'm inclined to believe that the person who spends all their time with no goals doing nothing is a loser.

This guy is an idiot.

/Fi

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    I agree. Philosophies and mantras are much more powerful, because they follow and guide everything you do. Goals and New Years Resolutions either get tossed out, ignored, or aren't what you get in the end.
    There is something to this in that, if you keep failing to meet your stated goals, something is missing. Your goals may be unrealistic, or even not things that are truly meaningful to you, so you have no motivation to pursue them. You may lack the self-discipline or the specific skills to meet your goals. Either way, some soul-searching is in order, and perhaps some study/practice. @bologna mentioned somewhere about adjusting your inner perspective by imagining yourself as the kind of person who does whatever accomplishment is embodied in your goals. You progress, then, not by looking at some distant target, but by comparing your small decisions in the moment with such a person. (I hope I am restating this correctly.) This seems useful, but mostly in getting yourself out of a rut of perpetual failure and disappointment. Once you become that person who can do whatever, it is time to decide what to do with your newfound attitude, confidence, and skills. This is where more traditional goal-setting can productively come back into play.

From my own perspective, goals give me something to focus on, keep me accountable to myself, and break up my dreams into manageable pieces, which I can then realize one by one.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I do pretty well with goals actually.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

"A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at." - Bruce Lee