User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default I have a plan to get a job

since I can't seem to get one the traditional way, I've decided to volunteer for the city in hopes that if I work hard that will turn into a paid job. But probably won't but it's worth a shot. I'm taking the applications in monday (there's 5 of them) do you think this is worth a shot?

I don't make good first impressions, but I do work hard and do everything that is asked of me when volunteering. So I figure if I can prove to someone that I can do the work and skip the first impression part I'm more likely to get a job.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Sounds worth it to me! Nothing like a good reference to land a job. Sounds like working for a while as a volunteer, proving yourself as a hard worker, and then using whoever is supervising you as a connection To a paid job is a great plan for you. Good luck!
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

It really can't hurt. I think it's a good idea.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

FigerPuppet

Volunteering is better than no job, but don't count on transitioning into a paid position. This is not 1) an internship, or 2) in the private sector. Look at it as something to bolster your resumé. Anyone will choose someone who has spent their unemployment volunteering over someone who hasn't, if their other qualifications are equal. You must continue searching for paying job.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Volunteering is better than no job, but don't count on transitioning into a paid position. This is not 1) an internship, or 2) in the private sector. Look at it as something to bolster your resumé. Anyone will choose someone who has spent their unemployment volunteering over someone who hasn't, if their other qualifications are equal. You must continue searching for paying job.
    It depends entirely on what kind of job you volunteered for. No one is going to pay alot of attention to work spent at a soup kitchen.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

If you don't have specialized training, experience or education, volunteering can be a good way to network. People that run charitable programs can be good for helping you get on at the businesses of people they know or where people they know work and they can be good for references on job applications if you don't already have people for that lined up. Even at the crap jobs around here, you usually have to know someone to get hired.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Thread title sounds like a song lyric.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

That's how my mom got her job! At the very least, you'll be volunteering, which has value in itself!
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

good luck!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    since I can't seem to get one the traditional way, I've decided to volunteer for the city in hopes that if I work hard that will turn into a paid job. But probably won't but it's worth a shot. I'm taking the applications in monday (there's 5 of them) do you think this is worth a shot?

I don't make good first impressions, but I do work hard and do everything that is asked of me when volunteering. So I figure if I can prove to someone that I can do the work and skip the first impression part I'm more likely to get a job.
    Interships are a good idea too. Also, do you have a criminal record? That could hurt you too.