User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I learn well seeing things visually, learning theory, and writing things down. So if those elements are present, I do fine. Typically traditional learning has been fine, though admittedly much of my detailed learning occurs right before an exam when I actually read the texts and make my own notes.

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    I tend to participate a lot in class just to keep myself actively engaged. I also must be doodling or have some kind of like side-project i can turn to if my concentration is starting to fade. Study-wise, I'm a crammer, but I usually retain a lot from lectures just from sitting in the room, so I'm generally just cramming the little facts and details and am pretty good at catching the overall ideas.
    Same here, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo
    If you prompt yourself to teach others what you've learned, then everything ought to click.
    My dad's taught me and my brother that, the "med school" way - see one, do one, teach one.

@prplchknz, there are theories out there that everyone does better learning experientially/hands-on, which I tend to believe.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I'm trying to think of anything I learned from school that has stuck with me beyond basic reading, writing and numeracy skills.

I remember my headteacher at the teaching unit, (I got kicked out of secondary school in my first year and was sent to a place for people with behavioural issues), teaching us this mnemonic phrase in order to show us how to memorise certain sentences.

However I have completely forgotten the word or the sentences and I did so immediately after the class, despite him claiming we would never forget it after this. I actually paid a lot of attention too.

I never...ever studied for anything....ever. I did try a few times, but no method ever demonstrated, trained in, explained, or self taught seemed to cause a retention of information.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I definitely do. Doing other things outside of the classroom helps a lot--but I am seriously struggling with online classes. I have two of them now, have taken them in the past, and I hate them every time. I just do. I always memorize and mind-dump the material. (It doesn't help I'm not passionate about the subjects I study online--I just need them for the things I do want.)

The best for me:
    - Read the book before class
    - Go to class and ask questions when what I understood is different from what the teacher is now explaining
    - Play after class. (If it's anatomy and physiology I play games and look at bone pieces. If it's math I play math games. If it's science stuff I look at videos and flash cards.)
    - Do my homework the next day and look up the things I guessed on the homework for.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I'm trying to think of anything I learned from school that has stuck with me beyond basic reading, writing and numeracy skills.

I remember my headteacher at the teaching unit, (I got kicked out of secondary school in my first year and was sent to a place for people with behavioural issues), teaching us this mnemonic phrase in order to show us how to memorise certain sentences.

However I have completely forgotten the word or the sentences and I did so immediately after the class, despite him claiming we would never forget it after this. I actually paid a lot of attention too.

I never...ever studied for anything....ever. I did try a few times, but no method ever demonstrated, trained in, explained, or self taught seemed to cause a retention of information.
    I would say just by this post you were also not passionate about anything you were being taught or attempting to listen to. Maybe you knew you needed it for whatever reason--but you didn't truly enjoy the subject of its components.

I never studied for history, but I had so much fun in the lectures and learned so much so quickly I never needed to.. It clicked with me. I only needed to memorize a few dates as I was bad with those. In comparison, I studied a lot for trigonometry which was the first math class I ever encountered that turned out to be difficult for me, and I couldn't tell you how to do any of it like 1 week after class.

When it comes to studying, you have to study what you like or you'll never retain it. I'm enjoying studying French--and I definitely forget much more than I retain during my studying, but it is a new word or two here and there each day.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

WALMART

I bend the classroom to my will for understanding.

As @nicolita mentioned, participation was (is) always my strongest suit in terms of understanding. Once my sister dated a class mate coincidentally, he said I got "very into" the class.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I would say just by this post you were also not passionate about anything you were being taught or attempting to listen to. Maybe you knew you needed it for whatever reason--but you didn't truly enjoy the subject of its components.

I never studied for history, but I had so much fun in the lectures and learned so much so quickly I never needed to.. It clicked with me. I only needed to memorize a few dates as I was bad with those. In comparison, I studied a lot for trigonometry which was the first math class I ever encountered that turned out to be difficult for me, and I couldn't tell you how to do any of it like 1 week after class.

When it comes to studying, you have to study what you like or you'll never retain it. I'm enjoying studying French--and I definitely forget much more than I retain during my studying, but it is a new word or two here and there each day.
    Well I agree.

I did think of adding to my post that it's about interest. You could say that for most people, but I think motivations differ. Some might memorise better because they are taught it is important and so they think it is.

Others for a specific goal. And then there are those where it has to hold some interest in order to be retained. I could probably try to practice and memorise the periodic table every day, but I doubt it would stick unless I had some burgeoning interest in it already.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Depends on what it is. If it's a topic that's more theoretical that doesn't require as much hands-on practice, then yes. For some things, there is no substitute for real hands-on experience. Like Driver's Ed, you can learn the rules of the road by reading the Drivers Manual and sitting in a classroom but it's a whole different thing to actually be driving the car on the road.

It also depends on my interest in the topic and the quality of the teaching. I feel asleep during most of my history classes- partially to blame on poor teachers.

Overall, I learn better though by reading it on my own and being allowed to try things out for myself.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Well I agree.

I did think of adding to my post that it's about interest. You could say that for most people, but I think motivations differ. Some might memorise better because they are taught it is important and so they think it is.

Others for a specific goal. And then there are those where it has to hold some interest in order to be retained. I could probably try to practice and memorise the periodic table every day, but I doubt it would stick unless I had some burgeoning interest in it already.
    I think it does require both interest and at least one other factor of motivation to learn something and actually retain it.

For example, I am highly interested in Japanese culture, and read about it all the time.. I couldn't tell you half the stuff I read because I have zero motivation factors pushing me to retain the information. I read it, enjoy it in that moment, sometimes I remember it, most of the time I don't.

In comparison. I am interested in learning French, something I have been looking at for a much shorter time than my Japanese example, but I have already retained a lot of information--because I have the motivating factor of going to a French speaking meet-up group, and they force me to talk there which sort of forces me to actually try to memorize what I am practicing.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I can perform successfully in one, but outside that, don't retain very well unless I am sincerely concerned with the topic. Unfortunately, being taught about something by somebody else easily can kill my interest in that something, singlehandedly. The silver lining is that I know clearly and specifically where my real aptitudes lie because my interest in them survived education. If all it takes is authority to knock down a passion, it wasn't a passion to begin with.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

You aren't, IMO, supposed to retain most of the information you learn in a class. You're building neural pathways and frameworks, etc. You kind of get the scaffolding, then if and when you need the specific information again, you have an easier time finding it and retaining it for use. If you don't use the information in some way, there isn't any reason for your brain to keep it where it can be easily accessed. Bits and pieces will be floating around, but that's all.
    Last edited by cafe; 11-04-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: mistype
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers