User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Default Graduate Degrees

Internet friends, I'm curious - what graduate degrees do you think have a good bang for their buck these days? It seems like the market for JDs is shot in all but a few areas, like...real estate. I think getting an MD is still a pretty risk-averse option because adcoms do a decent job of weeding out people who are unlikely to want or be able to finish the long road. (Although I am hearing that more and more students are having trouble being placed into residencies after med school, but the rates are still low compared to say, law school grads who can't find full-time legal jobs.) I hear mixed things about MBA programs. Two fields I hear consistently good things about are computer science and engineering - that the degrees lead to jobs easily and that graduate degrees are worth it. Throw in your two cents - I have been a student for so long, and I'm a newbie to the big bad world of work. I'd love to hear what your experiences have been and what your perceptions are!
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

MBTI
    ISTP

I read an article the other day which noted that half of STEM jobs are filled by people who don't have STEM degrees. Here it is: The STEM Crisis Is a Myth.

Given that my degrees are in psychology and I have a job as a computer programmer, this is actually me now. You have to know your way around a computer to pull it off, of course.

Also, if you want to pull down some serious $, a masters in CS will do the trick.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by mingularity View Post
    I read an article the other day which noted that half of STEM jobs are filled by people who don't have STEM degrees. Here it is: The STEM Crisis Is a Myth.

Given that my degrees are in psychology and I have a job as a computer programmer, this is actually me now. You have to know your way around a computer to pull it off, of course.

Also, if you want to pull down some serious $, a masters in CS will do the trick.
    Wow, that is a cool story! How in the world did you get a CS job with a psychology degree? Yes, I've heard that about CS degrees!

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    Wow, that is a cool story! How in the world did you get a CS job with a psychology degree? Yes, I've heard that about CS degrees!
    I read http://slashdot.org every day for 10 years?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by mingularity View Post
    I read http://slashdot.org every day for 10 years?
    No shit!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

CS jobs seem to be as much if not more about skills as degrees. There are professional certifications you can get that don't depend on major at all, just knowledge and passing tests, and sometimes experience.

One benefit of most STEM graduate degrees is that you don't have to pay for them - the school pays you, as a research or teaching assistant. The pay is paltry, but enough to live on and better than finishing with even more student debt. STEM degrees are still in high demand, especially with government and their contractors where U.S. citizenship is often required.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Sorry for asking but - do you think you can equally pull off all of the listed careers easily? (I could never be a programmer or surgeon, for example)
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Sorry for asking but - do you think you can equally pull off all of the listed careers easily? (I could never be a programmer or surgeon, for example)
    Me personally or people in general? I'm not asking about this to apply it to myself as career advice, I was just asking because I'm curious about the state of high education in general right now.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    CS jobs seem to be as much if not more about skills as degrees. There are professional certifications you can get that don't depend on major at all, just knowledge and passing tests, and sometimes experience.

One benefit of most STEM graduate degrees is that you don't have to pay for them - the school pays you, as a research or teaching assistant. The pay is paltry, but enough to live on and better than finishing with even more student debt. STEM degrees are still in high demand, especially with government and their contractors where U.S. citizenship is often required.
    Really? Of course PhDs are funded, but I don't know of any funded terminal master's degree programs. I'd love to hear if you have specific examples.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Internet friends, I'm curious - what graduate degrees do you think have a good bang for their buck these days? It seems like the market for JDs is shot in all but a few areas, like...real estate. I think getting an MD is still a pretty risk-averse option because adcoms do a decent job of weeding out people who are unlikely to want or be able to finish the long road. (Although I am hearing that more and more students are having trouble being placed into residencies after med school, but the rates are still low compared to say, law school grads who can't find full-time legal jobs.) I hear mixed things about MBA programs. Two fields I hear consistently good things about are computer science and engineering - that the degrees lead to jobs easily and that graduate degrees are worth it. Throw in your two cents - I have been a student for so long, and I'm a newbie to the big bad world of work. I'd love to hear what your experiences have been and what your perceptions are!
    I'd hold off on the medical field if I were you. Obama care might fuck that up. For instance, I know two hospitals in my town that are already cutting jobs because the new Obama care laws are going to lose them money and they need to make budget cuts. Computer science jobs are good, and if you really want a SUPER SAFE degree, then go Electrical Engineering. You can do so much with that degree. You may want to enroll in a graduate certificate program before taking that road though. Graduate certificate programs help to ease you from one program into another, and you may want this with EE because it has a lot of pre-requisites: Up to calculus 3, physics 2, linear algebra, differental equations, stats, and I think chemistry.