User Tag List

12 Last

Default I only received a 3.0 for my degree ..

Hi,
    I am a smart person but because of motivation issues, mental illness and family problems, I only chalked a 3.0 for my degree. I feel bad. For a few months up until recently, I had dreams that I was bad in school again. Right now, I am resisting temptation to sigh-up for another undergraduate degree. Though low, I'm sure my CGPA can get me into a decent Master's program. Studies aside, I have chalked up a good resume in journalism and activism, so I'm trying to cheer myself with this. Anyone has regrets like mine? I hope that as I go through a Master's, I will feel more accomplished and that the regret lessens.

Permabanned

Hey, I only managed a 3.0 as well...

Not the end of the world, I don't think...and even if it is, at least you have company...

In the working world no one cares.

Forgive me if that sounds harsh. Reality is that outside of academia your academic performance is not important whatsoever.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    In the working world no one cares.

Forgive me if that sounds harsh. Reality is that outside of academia your academic performance is not important whatsoever.
    This^^

Yea, after the first 2 years, experience is all that matters. Get the graduate degree out of the way if you are confident that you won't experience the same problems while trying to complete that degree. Network, and start shopping yourself around from now, so that eventually you'll be able to land yourself a job. Also, it's a 3.0, so it's not that bad. That is the usual cutoff (or maybe it's a 2.8) for most companies. Maybe you won't be able to get into elite companies right away, but screw them-- after 2 years of good work elsewhere, they'll pay top dollar for you.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Well i think it is an achievement to finish it at all in difficult circumstances. I managed less than one year of my intensive undergrad degree due to issues with childcare and personal circumstances. So really you could turn that cup around to being half full just with the knowledge that you did well to stick it out.

I have been thinking of going back for the last five years... I regularly research the available degree's, timescales, modules etc. At the moment i am looking at an open degree with the OU.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by momoness View Post
    Hi,
    I am a smart person but because of motivation issues, mental illness and family problems, I only chalked a 3.0 for my degree. I feel bad. For a few months up until recently, I had dreams that I was bad in school again. Right now, I am resisting temptation to sigh-up for another undergraduate degree. Though low, I'm sure my CGPA can get me into a decent Master's program. Studies aside, I have chalked up a good resume in journalism and activism, so I'm trying to cheer myself with this. Anyone has regrets like mine? I hope that as I go through a Master's, I will feel more accomplished and that the regret lessens.

I think this could be helped by having success, or even-non-failure, in non-academic arenas.

For me, this mean having a job and supporting myself. Ultimately, you need tangible proof that your talents can be used for something other than getting good grades. I also think Master's programs might actually value someone who has a lot of real-world experience.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get my Master's again eventually, but I had the distinct sense that it wasn't what I needed to do with my life right after school. Just because you feel like you're "supposed" to get a Master's degree doesn't mean you have to.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Hey, I only managed a 3.0 as well...

Not the end of the world, I don't think...and even if it is, at least you have company...
    Plus one. I think you can deal with being normal.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Glycerine

Besides having a high GPA means shit if you don't do anything with it. Success is a lot more about intelligence, resourcefulness, and connections anyways.

Although my GPA was relatively high, I wish I had more ambition and passion to pursue whatever the heck I want to do instead of BSing undergrad.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

It's true, it doesn't matter in the real world. I got over a 3.0 but in a field I don't want to pursue, and I would totally trade you for your 3.0 in a field you want to go into. Your degree is useful, and that's what matters most. It opens the doors you want it to open. If you can get into grad school, you can always ace that, if it makes you feel good, but ultimately, unless you're going into academia, your grades aren't going to matter nearly as much as your experience and your skills. So chin up