• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I only received a 3.0 for my degree ..

momoness

Hi,
I am a smart person but because of motivation issues, mental illness and family problems, I only chalked a 3.0 for my degree. I feel bad. For a few months up until recently, I had dreams that I was bad in school again. Right now, I am resisting temptation to sigh-up for another undergraduate degree. Though low, I'm sure my CGPA can get me into a decent Master's program. Studies aside, I have chalked up a good resume in journalism and activism, so I'm trying to cheer myself with this. Anyone has regrets like mine? I hope that as I go through a Master's, I will feel more accomplished and that the regret lessens.

:(

xisnotx

Permabanned
Hey, I only managed a 3.0 as well...

Not the end of the world, I don't think...and even if it is, at least you have company...

93JC

In the working world no one cares.

Forgive me if that sounds harsh. Reality is that outside of academia your academic performance is not important whatsoever.

baccheion

Yea, after the first 2 years, experience is all that matters. Get the graduate degree out of the way if you are confident that you won't experience the same problems while trying to complete that degree. Network, and start shopping yourself around from now, so that eventually you'll be able to land yourself a job. Also, it's a 3.0, so it's not that bad. That is the usual cutoff (or maybe it's a 2.8) for most companies. Maybe you won't be able to get into elite companies right away, but screw them-- after 2 years of good work elsewhere, they'll pay top dollar for you.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well i think it is an achievement to finish it at all in difficult circumstances. I managed less than one year of my intensive undergrad degree due to issues with childcare and personal circumstances. So really you could turn that cup around to being half full just with the knowledge that you did well to stick it out. :hug:

I have been thinking of going back for the last five years... I regularly research the available degree's, timescales, modules etc. At the moment i am looking at an open degree with the OU. :smile:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hi,
I am a smart person but because of motivation issues, mental illness and family problems, I only chalked a 3.0 for my degree. I feel bad. For a few months up until recently, I had dreams that I was bad in school again. Right now, I am resisting temptation to sigh-up for another undergraduate degree. Though low, I'm sure my CGPA can get me into a decent Master's program. Studies aside, I have chalked up a good resume in journalism and activism, so I'm trying to cheer myself with this. Anyone has regrets like mine? I hope that as I go through a Master's, I will feel more accomplished and that the regret lessens.

:(

I think this could be helped by having success, or even-non-failure, in non-academic arenas.

For me, this mean having a job and supporting myself. Ultimately, you need tangible proof that your talents can be used for something other than getting good grades. I also think Master's programs might actually value someone who has a lot of real-world experience.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get my Master's again eventually, but I had the distinct sense that it wasn't what I needed to do with my life right after school. Just because you feel like you're "supposed" to get a Master's degree doesn't mean you have to.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey, I only managed a 3.0 as well...

Not the end of the world, I don't think...and even if it is, at least you have company...
Plus one. I think you can deal with being normal. :yes:

G

Glycerine

Besides having a high GPA means shit if you don't do anything with it. Success is a lot more about intelligence, resourcefulness, and connections anyways.

Although my GPA was relatively high, I wish I had more ambition and passion to pursue whatever the heck I want to do instead of BSing undergrad.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's true, it doesn't matter in the real world. I got over a 3.0 but in a field I don't want to pursue, and I would totally trade you for your 3.0 in a field you want to go into. Your degree is useful, and that's what matters most. It opens the doors you want it to open. If you can get into grad school, you can always ace that, if it makes you feel good, but ultimately, unless you're going into academia, your grades aren't going to matter nearly as much as your experience and your skills. So chin up :)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, I got a good GPA, and then proceeded to be a childcare provider for the next ten years. Nothing I've done since has hinged on my GPA.

As for grad school (since I understand GPA does factor into that), I think if you do well on whatever entrance exams you have to take for your chosen graduate field, many programs will be willing to overlook your GPA (which isn't even all that bad).

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
In a lot of fields, GPA doesn't matter at all. In many fields, getting a 3.0 is the cut off. I think engineering programs want above a 3.5 and medicine wants around a 3.75. But aside from those, your options are wide open. The problem is that the economy is really bad and in a lot of places, any open position is flooded with applications. That's not a problem with your GPA, though. Rest easy. What's done is done, and you should just focus on moving forward. You have a college degree, which many people don't. And your grades, whilst they aren't top-notch, are okay. That's also something you have going for you. Good luck!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In a lot of fields, GPA doesn't matter at all. In many fields, getting a 3.0 is the cut off. I think engineering programs want above a 3.5 and medicine wants around a 3.75. But aside from those, your options are wide open. The problem is that the economy is really bad and in a lot of places, any open position is flooded with applications. That's not a problem with your GPA, though. Rest easy. What's done is done, and you should just focus on moving forward. You have a college degree, which many people don't. And your grades, whilst they aren't top-notch, are okay. That's also something you have going for you. Good luck!

It looks like even for engineering, at least, you can get by with above a 3.0, actually. Probably for medicine, too.