• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What jobs have you had?

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Not sure my particular difficulties with it would be anything you would also encounter, so I will refrain, if you don't mind, because I don't want to discourage you. I'll just say it wasn't for me.:)
Fair dues. I just always wonder because everyone is always telling what a terrible job it is to teach, but it seems like it would be enjoyable from the outside in. The only thing I notice is that school boards and school administrations seem awful.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Soap maker?! How cool! How did you land that gig?

I had a little cottage-industry thing going. I did bath teas and other little odd toiletries, too.

I was a serious crunchy hippie back then! :D

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had a little cottage-industry thing going. I did bath teas and other little odd toiletries, too.

I was a serious crunchy hippie back then! :D

Love it! I wanna live a crunchy hippie life with tea and home made soap for a while! That sounds like a nice time.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Just finished creating the business plan they asked me to draw up at my first interview.

And I've gone over the documents they gave me.

Looking forward to my second interview with Waddell & Reed tomorrow.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Fair dues. I just always wonder because everyone is always telling what a terrible job it is to teach, but it seems like it would be enjoyable from the outside in. The only thing I notice is that school boards and school administrations seem awful.

Yes... I know a pretty good amount of teachers - my mom, my boyfriend, quite a number of good friends, and many of my mom's coworkers - and I have interned in a school like I mentioned, so I hope you don't mind if I throw a list of pros and cons out there for consideration.

The cons I have heard most are that it is poorly paid (following that, you spend a fair amount of essentially unpaid time working and that you often have to provide your own resources if you want to go the extra mile); there is administrative bullshit in particular from the high levels, like you mentioned - but most teachers I know seem to be on very positive terms with their immediate supervisors - and sometimes from parents; there's not always much upward mobility depending on your preferences and position; you will have to deal with administering discipline to a certain extent, which some are not fond of but others find second nature; there can be testing pressure (just another form of administrative bullshit, imo). Though, the more strong teachers there are, the better the fight against the high levels.

The pros I have heard most are that you get to spend your whole day doing something fun and fulfilling; the profession is well-established, fairly well regulated, and there are jobs basically everywhere; you're off at least holidays if not also all of summer; you can make a huge difference in many kids' lives; you're essentially getting a big hand in shaping the future; you have lots of day-to-day variety; you often get very good benefits; at least where I live, once you have your license, you can just take another qualifying test and you can teach a new subject or age group, so there's good lateral movement.

I can safely say that most of the teachers I know are really wonderful people and their careers generally seem to amplify that... some kind of inner strength that being a guiding light to others really brings out. I think that as long as you find the role appealing, have a good level of tolerance for the fight against upper-level administrivia, and can deal with the relatively low salary, it's a great career choice.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Yes... I know a pretty good amount of teachers - my mom, my boyfriend, quite a number of good friends, and many of my mom's coworkers - and I have interned in a school like I mentioned, so I hope you don't mind if I throw a list of pros and cons out there for consideration.

The cons I have heard most are that it is poorly paid (following that, you spend a fair amount of essentially unpaid time working and that you often have to provide your own resources if you want to go the extra mile); there is administrative bullshit in particular from the high levels, like you mentioned - but most teachers I know seem to be on very positive terms with their immediate supervisors - and sometimes from parents; there's not always much upward mobility depending on your preferences and position; you will have to deal with administering discipline to a certain extent, which some are not fond of but others find second nature; there can be testing pressure (just another form of administrative bullshit, imo). Though, the more strong teachers there are, the better the fight against the high levels.

The pros I have heard most are that you get to spend your whole day doing something fun and fulfilling; the profession is well-established, fairly well regulated, and there are jobs basically everywhere; you're off at least holidays if not also all of summer; you can make a huge difference in many kids' lives; you're essentially getting a big hand in shaping the future; you have lots of day-to-day variety; you often get very good benefits; at least where I live, once you have your license, you can just take another qualifying test and you can teach a new subject or age group, so there's good lateral movement.

I can safely say that most of the teachers I know are really wonderful people and their careers generally seem to amplify that... some kind of inner strength that being a guiding light to others really brings out. I think that as long as you find the role appealing, have a good level of tolerance for the fight against upper-level administrivia, and can deal with the relatively low salary, it's a great career choice.
Thanks skylights! You're the best.

Yeah, salary is something that I have heard is a major con of teaching - at least, the salary in comparison with the number of hours worked. Interestingly though, in some places, like DC or NYC, the entry-level salary for teachers is around 50k (so far as I can tell from looking up programs like NYC Teaching Fellows and DC Teaching Fellows). Of course cost of living in those places is absurdly high, but I know lot of people who took entry-level jobs in the same places for 30-35k - people who went into creative industries. Even my friends who decided to work for consulting companies or be business analysts for major credit card companies aren't making more than 60k-ish right out of college. It always seemed to me that a lack of respect for one's profession was the major con of teaching.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Had my second interview with Waddell & Reed today.

She loved my business plan, and the interview went very well.

My third interview is scheduled for next Tues, in the early afternoon.

Things are looking good :cheers:

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Had my second interview with Waddell & Reed today.

She loved my business plan, and the interview went very well.

My third interview is scheduled for next Tues, in the early afternoon.

Good luck!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Yeah, salary is something that I have heard is a major con of teaching - at least, the salary in comparison with the number of hours worked. Interestingly though, in some places, like DC or NYC, the entry-level salary for teachers is around 50k (so far as I can tell from looking up programs like NYC Teaching Fellows and DC Teaching Fellows). Of course cost of living in those places is absurdly high, but I know lot of people who took entry-level jobs in the same places for 30-35k - people who went into creative industries. Even my friends who decided to work for consulting companies or be business analysts for major credit card companies aren't making more than 60k-ish right out of college. It always seemed to me that a lack of respect for one's profession was the major con of teaching.

It's funny that you say that because I started typing "well-respected" in my pros before, but it's sort of complicated... it's like most average people respect teachers' profession - it's very culturally entrenched, like doctor or lawyer, but for whatever reason, that doesn't translate into good pay.

Wonderful! :D

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
It's funny that you say that because I started typing "well-respected" in my pros before, but it's sort of complicated... it's like most average people respect teachers' profession - it's very culturally entrenched, like doctor or lawyer, but for whatever reason, that doesn't translate into good pay.
Oh really? I'm happy to hear that. For whatever reason, in the circles I run in, teaching isn't seen as a respectable option. I'm happy to hear that the norm is different elsewhere, as it boggles my mind!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Wonderful! :D

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Pics or it didn't happen! :D

oops, never mind, just saw the sp-first ;)

Good...saves me one perfectly good "Hell nooooo!" :D

That's been a good long time ago, too. I don't look like that no more...:(

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Had my third interview with Waddell & Reed yesterday afternoon.

That went well and she liked my answers to her questions, and the questions I had about the company.

I will be getting a phone call regarding an offer before 5pm today. I'm crossing the shit out of my fingers.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Had my third interview with Waddell & Reed yesterday afternoon.

That went well and she liked my answers to her questions, and the questions I had about the company.

I will be getting a phone call regarding an offer before 5pm today. I'm crossing the shit out of my fingers.

Crossing mine for you! Good luck!

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
JUST GOT THE CALL.....

THEY OFFERED ME THE JOB AS A FINANCIAL ADVISOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
JUST GOT THE CALL.....

THEY OFFERED ME THE JOB AS A FINANCIAL ADVISOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SAY YES! Congrats, dude! You're gonna advise the shit outta their finances.