User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Default So I'm getting a B.A. in Pastoral Ministry...

This degree would seem to give me the singular distinction of being somebody's associate pastor...if I can find them. Meanwhile, I don't want to leave my city, other than a job, I've built a good life in SacTown; I'm just afraid that's what it will take.

I'm slowly looking into the possibility of opening up my own church, crowd-funding it, and getting it moving.

I can't pursue my MDiv until I start getting paid. So this is my first awkward point.
    Love is the point.

Quote Originally Posted by TopherRed View Post
    This degree would seem to give me the singular distinction of being somebody's associate pastor...if I can find them. Meanwhile, I don't want to leave my city, other than a job, I've built a good life in SacTown; I'm just afraid that's what it will take.

I'm slowly looking into the possibility of opening up my own church, crowd-funding it, and getting it moving.

I can't pursue my MDiv until I start getting paid. So this is my first awkward point.
    I've often wondered what pastoral care meant.

On one hand it might mean nourishing the psyche. Or it might mean teaching theology. Or it might mean organising the parish. Or it might mean inculcating belief in children. Or it might mean officiating at marriages, baptisms and funerals.

But the words 'pastoral care' are such fine sounding words, they make me suspicious.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

That's pretty close to my husband's degree. He's a truck driver.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    That's pretty close to my husband's degree. He's a truck driver.
    Thanks cafe, that's a lovely sentiment. I've often thought of having mobile church where you bring the alter and the sound system with you. You've given me hope to go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I've often wondered what pastoral care meant.

On one hand it might mean nourishing the psyche. Or it might mean teaching theology. Or it might mean organising the parish. Or it might mean inculcating belief in children. Or it might mean officiating at marriages, baptisms and funerals.

But the words 'pastoral care' are such fine sounding words, they make me suspicious.
    I have a feeling a lot of things do, sir. That said, everything you described is in that job description. It's such a broad field because head pastors hire people whimsically according to who they need for any given purpose. Unfortunately, that leads to a lack of job security. I can tell you that I am a theology minor. That weddings, baptisms and funerals have a handbook that I didn't need a university education for. That I'm not in the Children's ministry and indeed that is it's own field. That I have received instruction on how a church is organized and will be getting more next semester. I do nourish the psyche. I generally see my training as teaching me how to bridge the gap between people and love. Since God is love (1 John 4:8), that makes things a little easier.

What I do is part theology, part business, part government and part psychology. And if you ask me which of the four is the most important, I'll tell you that the last one is, because getting to a place of loving God and loving one another is my primary mission. The rest are just icing.
    Love is the point.

Quote Originally Posted by TopherRed View Post
    I have a feeling a lot of things do, sir.
    Quite so, sir. For while you are a believer, I am a sceptic.

I am struck though by the American use of 'sir'. On one hand it is flattering, but on the other, 'sir' is a struggle to be polite in face of temptation.

Interestingly 'sir' is not an Americanism we have adopted in Oz. We have even abolished knighthoods from our Honours List.

So 'sir' seems to us, not only polite, but delightfully old fashioned.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Quite so, sir. For while you are a believer, I am a sceptic.

I am struck though by the American use of 'sir'. On one hand it is flattering, but on the other, 'sir' is a struggle to be polite in face of temptation.

Interestingly 'sir' is not an Americanism we have adopted in Oz. We have even abolished knighthoods from our Honours List.

So 'sir' seems to us, not only polite, but delightfully old fashioned.
    Passion is passion. Apathy is the opposite of love, and you as a self-described "skeptic" cannot by definition be "apathetic". At the very least we're agreed to be passionate, albeit in opposite orientations regarding the same thing.
    Last edited by TopherRed; 07-04-2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Adding quotation marks around a term.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Good luck, @TopherRed. I have a coworker who is in the process of creating his own congregation. He's gotten a space and has started preaching Thursday nights and Sunday late mornings, I think. I know he married another coworker and her husband, but I'm not sure what his degree or license is. He seems to be doing well so far - and funny enough, I think he's probably an ENFJ so/sx like you, though maybe a 3w2 instead of 2w3.

Enneagram
    9w8

TopherRed,

First, congratulations on getting your degree!

Secondly, it's that way with many fields. Just hang in there and perhaps make yourself known to a pastor of a church where you would like to work Often times, connections go a long, long way.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Good luck, @TopherRed. I have a coworker who is in the process of creating his own congregation. He's gotten a space and has started preaching Thursday nights and Sunday late mornings, I think. I know he married another coworker and her husband, but I'm not sure what his degree or license is. He seems to be doing well so far - and funny enough, I think he's probably an ENFJ so/sx like you, though maybe a 3w2 instead of 2w3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    TopherRed,

First, congratulations on getting your degree!

Secondly, it's that way with many fields. Just hang in there and perhaps make yourself known to a pastor of a church where you would like to work Often times, connections go a long, long way.
    Thanks to you both. This journey is coming to a close and the next is fast approaching. I pray I'm ready for the task at hand. :-)
    Love is the point.

WALMART

I've wondered (and this is an aside, irrespective of yourself) the legitimacy of someone adopting faith on grounds of spiritual healing.

Not just adopting, but leading. Hm.

Good luck in your endeavors.