User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Default References (not the library/academic kind)

Does anyone give a damn if you use a coworker for a reference, someone who isn't necessarily on a supervisor level?

I don't care about what is "supposed to be done" in this situation, I'm talking about what potential employers actually care about.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

It depends on the potential employer. A co-worker is an acceptable reference but in my experience most employers prefer a supervisor. A supervisor is more likely to give an impartial reference, which is what they're looking for.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

What are they hoping to find out with the references, exactly? What is the point of them?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

They want to know if the interviewee would be a good employee, and who better to ask than their former employer?

It just so happens a former co-worker recently asked me to be a reference for him. I was an 'indirect' supervisor; I was in a position such that I could delegate work to him but he didn't report to me directly unless it was something specific we were working on. I certainly didn't have the power to fire him.

I was asked many questions. "How long did you work with him?", "Were you a direct supervisor?", "What was his position?", "What was your position?", "What were his responsibilities?", "What are his strengths?", "Was he punctual?" "Did he meet deadlines?", "Would you work with him again?", "Would you recommend him to another employer?", "On a scale of one to five how would you rate his performance, 'one' being 'unsatisfactory', ..., 'four' being "above average", 'five' being 'excellent'?", etc.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    They want to know if the interviewee would be a good employee, and who better to ask than their former employer?

It just so happens a former co-worker recently asked me to be a reference for him. I was an 'indirect' supervisor; I was in a position such that I could delegate work to him but he didn't report to me directly unless it was something specific we were working on. I certainly didn't have the power to fire him.

I was asked many questions. "How long did you work with him?", "Were you a direct supervisor?", "What was his position?", "What was your position?", "What were his responsibilities?", "What are his strengths?", "Was he punctual?" "Did he meet deadlines?", "Would you work with him again?", "Would you recommend him to another employer?", "On a scale of one to five how would you rate his performance, 'one' being 'unsatisfactory', ..., 'four' being "above average", 'five' being 'excellent'?", etc.
    There's a couple people I might be able to use.

My ex offered to be a reference for me at one point, but my gut tells me that's a bad idea. Although, she is a supervisor now, which I think may have had something to do with our breakup. Still...I've found that with social situations, the best course of action is your gut feeling. But there are others that might be willing to help.

Words are wind.

I think I have more anxiety over this than over any part of the job application process.

Visit my Johari:

An ex? I would go with your gut on that one.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

An ex? I would go with your gut on that one.
    Yup. I've found that my gut is more valuable in social situations than stupid Ti. This has become especially apparent over the past year.

There are other people I know who I trust more, though.

It seems like the purpose of references is mostly to make sure that the person being considered is not full of shit, going by what you're saying.

Visit my Johari:

Pretty much. Out of curiosity how old are you?

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Pretty much. Out of curiosity how old are you?
    Old enough that I should know better, probably.

What hypothesis are you trying to test here? That no one over 21 would even contemplate something so bone-headed?

Visit my Johari:

I'm not testing any hypotheses, just wondering where you're coming from. A lot of 23-year-olds don't have many (or any) references and don't really see the point because they've never worked a job where a reference has been important to the hiring process. That's all.