• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jack of all trades, master of none. Trying to pay the bills.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I wrote a book
I published music
I teach gymnastics, and private lessons as well for a good amount of money
I make minimal ad revenue off of my 1100+ youtube subscribers
I run a life coaching business for a good amount of money per hour.
I run an mbti typing business.

I could become a show performer and get paid to breakdance on stage.
I could become a freelance carpenter
I could become a real estate agent

All of these things I could become.

One of them is going to yield me the best results financially, and I have no idea which one that is.

my body wants to split into 12 different parts so I can go in every direction at the same time.

I am just barely paying the bills. I can't decide which way to go because, if I do, I will dedicate a large portion of my life savings to accomplishing this endeavor, but choosing which path to invest my time and money in is very difficult.

Its said that ESTP's such as myself often times have difficulty evaluating the long term benefits of each path but no problem choosing which one yields the immediate gain. None of these yield immediate gain, they all take patience and commitment.

Ideas?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Try and put monetary gain aside & think about which you might enjoy the most, over a long period of time. You have to find a balance between what is both practical to make a living with & not a total soul-sucker to do day-in-day-out.

I went through a phase in this low economy when I was doing all kinds of stuff to make ends meet, until I found something more stable. Think about what you've learned about yourself in these endeavors. What are you really good at that you can also continue to grow in (so as not to be bored)? What is continually stimulating without being overwhelming? What kind of schedule & responsibilities are conducive to the kind of life you want to lead, including your other priorities & goals not related to money?

Okay, I'm probably asking you to use Fi :tongue:

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
What do you love to do that will still make you money?

Maybe you could do one of those things to support your habit of the others, but make sure it is something that you like, or else it will suck the soul right out of you. That's what I do [not soul suck...work, although soul-sucking might be an interesting occupation.] I have a regular day job that I do so that I can afford to do the things I love on the side and if the things I love happen to make me some money, then that's windfall.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Hmm... Well, being a real estate agent is actually what I really want to do. Big money in that but you need to be very well known for that to work out.

I am extremely ambitious, and my idea of "FUN" is being able to more or less conquer earth. But I need money in order to make money.

I want to get a few houses, rent them out so I have some passive income. Then once that is done, I'm gonna hop on my motorcycle and go on a treasure hunt for bomb houses, party, meet people, and be a nomad.

That's what I want to do. But that shit aint happening until I get some money or start a business of my own in which I don't want to kill myself every day. So this is entirely about money and not killing myself in the process of making it.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
hmmm...sounds like a plan.

Have you already taken courses for becoming liscensed? or pre-liscensed?

But that shit aint happening until I get some money or start a business of my own in which I don't want to kill myself every day. So this is entirely about money and not killing myself in the process of making it.

How do you feel about the carpenter thing as a way to lay back money toward your real goal? I'm just throwing out ideas. I'm thinking that carpenters are always in high demand. My brother, who has no education at all, started out as an assistant roofer, now he has his own business and makes pretty good. He's his own boss and gets to boss other people, too, which he loves.

You are right in saying that all the things you've listed take time and commitment. There must be a way to off-set time and commitment with immediate gain, a way to have the best of both worlds, a win-win scenario.

G

garbage

In my experience as a Jack of all trades and master of none, Jacks of all trades are excellent in support or leadership roles, but not as much in the roles that are sandwiched between them.

Life coaching sounds fun, with perhaps a workout class a few times a week to supplement?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Carpentry is an incredible way to meet real estate investors (um... 90% of your bosses?), not to mention I enjoy doing it and I'd be able to expand fairly easily. I'm just not sure where to get started. I know how saws work and screws etc, but I've never applied these skills to real life.

I'm gonna have to do some research.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Choose one and do it well. Ideally, one with a viable financial future. Save some for hobbies and realize that some may require elimination.

Or, if the above makes you shudder, realize that you might have to sacrifice traditional financial stability in the service of your identity. Idealism v. pragmatism. Being yourself might be your true calling.

Realize that either path requires sacrifice. Prosperity is balance.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I can't really ever condone any young person wanting to live off of "passive income", since that equates to living off of the labors of others. That said, investing savings into a particular endeavor isn't the be-all-end-all. Depending upon the investment, there should be some amount of money able to be recouped if you'd prefer to do something else. Or, if you're as great as you believe yourself to be, any investment you make should be able to be recouped and then some. Thus, I might suggest investing in plan A for a time, then perhaps plan B, etc. Two additional suggestions though:

1. For real estate, keeping your license current and maybe selling a property or two while doing your plans A,B,C,etc. may give you time to build those necessary connections.

2. Save the book writing for later. Maybe do some note jotting for now, and then write after you're replete with wisdom from a lifetime of plans A-Z.

Best of luck!

G

garbage

I'm just not sure where to get started.
Mayhaps Habitat for Humanity? Of course it doesn't pay the bills, but folks tend to be eager to teach, and one or two sessions could learn you a thing or two. Slap it on a resume as a thing you've gotten some experience with, and apply entry level from there.

Perhaps?

Good idea tying carpentry to real estate, too.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Is real estate going to "revamp" soon in the US? Or do you live in a particularly rich place where real estate always goes well? (as you may notice, I'm not a fan of real estate lol)

teaching gymnastics and being a freelance carpenter could somehow be complementary tho, unless you have to do either full-time.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Carpentry is an incredible way to meet real estate investors (um... 90% of your bosses?), not to mention I enjoy doing it and I'd be able to expand fairly easily. I'm just not sure where to get started. I know how saws work and screws etc, but I've never applied these skills to real life.

I'm gonna have to do some research.

I have three uncles that are carpenters [my mom's brothers] and one that buys houses, revamps them and then rents them. I'll make it a point to talk to them first chance I get. Also, if I'm not mistaken, they all started out as apprentices for an established carpenter or rather they got on and worked for him for a while then they started their own business. One of them is insane [seriously, got an IQ of like 160 but is nutty as a bag of peanuts], but he sure can design and build homes!

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Carpentry and real estate sound like the most stable, realistic options. Would you prefer to work hard with your hands or work hard with your brain, time (as in constantly working), and networking/social skills? I think real estate is probably the best option for an eventual large income.

If you're thinking seriously about carpentry, maybe try some hobby woodworking first. Once you learn how to build furniture and cabinets which look nice and are built to tight tolerances, most of the other carpentry tasks seem a bit crude and easier.

netzealot

redundant descriptor
MBTI Type
ISTP
One must weigh, in 2 separate yet overlapping instances, the value of personal desire and empiric demand. To the n-th degree, this is whether you prefer an a more absolute sense to do what you want or to enjoy the benefit of stability. I suggest starting there and working backwards... make a venn diagram, even.

Anyone who tells you to go too far in either direction is not giving you good advice. The homeless street performer and the wall street banker each have their form of emptiness.