• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I can't get a job

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
seriously this is ridiculous people stupider than me can get them. why can't I? I'm seriously depressed and give up, because apparently I'm not human enough to work a job. There is something wrong with me, but no one will admit it to my face. why doesn't someone take me out back and shoot me between the eyes. I don't know whats wrong with me.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=15318]Saudade[/MENTION] Hipster

seriously this is ridiculous people stupider than me can get them. why can't I? I'm seriously depressed and give up, because apparently I'm not human enough to work a job. There is something wrong with me, but no one will admit it to my face. why doesn't someone take me out back and shoot me between the eyes. I don't know whats wrong with me.

It is harder to get a job today than it was when I graduated high school. Even a minimum wage job is sort of hard to come by. So it isn't just you.

When I graduated from high school, I was immediately called by Target to set up an interview. Nowadays, it takes a few weeks, or even months to get a call (if you/I even get one.)

So I'm still in college because of it. If it is still like this when I get my degree, I still have my options.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Persistence is key. For every 8 - 10 applications, expect to get 1 - 2 callbacks/interviews (unless you're extremely qualified). Keep trying until someone hires you. Don't necessarily shoot for only full time work, either. Due to Obama's brilliant healthcare plan, many employers are not looking to hire new employees over 28 hrs/week.

Keep trying, and I'm sure you will find something.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've been trying since january for a minimum wage part time job and I can't get one, there's something wrong with me.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been trying since january for a minimum wage part time job and I can't get one, there's something wrong with me.

How have you been doing it? Online applications, in-store applications, or some other way?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
both online and in-store and following up

Hmmm... That is strange. I highly doubt that it's something about you, though. More likely the job market/economy. All I can suggest is that you keep trying.

The only experience I have is from my own job hunt(s), of course. I wish I could guess as to what could help you from the hiring perspective.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
See if you can get a referral from a friend or family member, or friends of family members, or family members of friends. Almost everyone I know, myself included, has gotten their job from an inside connection, from minimum wage to professional positions.

Also, you can ask places point-blank why you weren't hired. You don't stand anything to lose, and you might get useful information.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
See if you can get a referral from a friend or family member, or friends of family members, or family members of friends. Almost everyone I know, myself included, has gotten their job from an inside connection, from minimum wage to professional positions.

Also, you can ask places point-blank why you weren't hired. You don't stand anything to lose, and you might get useful information.

I was able to get a school job on basically that principal (albeit temporary.) I asked around people who may know someone hiring. They referred me to someone (saying that this person referred me) and I got the job.

[MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] try that out, many employers are willing to hire a friend, relative, or coworker of a previous employee over someone he/she doesn't know (as long as the employer saw the employee in a good light.)

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Keep looking and don’t overly worry about it, if you have food, a roof and clothing you’re doing better then some portions of society. Keep yourself busy learning and helping other people and you will fall into something (jobs are easier to find for some people then others), and not to sound too much like an old economics teacher, but use your experiences from today to help formulate saving strategies to protect yourself from future situations like this.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Aside from trying to get a referral try and volunteer in the mean time. Get some more experience else where. They may not pay you but it will beef up that resume and increase your chances of finding something that will compensate you financially. You can also look for internships that pay if your qualified. If you have office experience try looking at non profits.They normally have secretarial positions available as well. Don;t be so hard on yourself though there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. Jobs are just harder to come by in general. Stay positive and exhaust all your options. Make sure your updating your resume on the online applications. Most retain franchises that allow you to apply online will retire old resumes. If you've been looking this long it might be time to double back. Good Luck :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Aside from trying to get a referral try and volunteer in the mean time. Get some more experience else where. They may not pay you but it will beef up that resume and increase your chances of finding something that will compensate you financially. You can also look for internships that pay if your qualified. If you have office experience try looking at non profits.They normally have secretarial positions available as well. Don;t be so hard on yourself though there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. Jobs are just harder to come by in general. Stay positive and exhaust all your options. Make sure your updating your resume on the online applications. Most retain franchises that allow you to apply online will retire old resumes. If you've been looking this long it might be time to double back. Good Luck :D

I am volunteering, I volunteer wed-sat at a local puppet theatre, and I'm writing a puppet show, and I'm about to get a team together to make a cartoon to put on youtube.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am volunteering, I volunteer wed-sat at a local puppet theatre, and I'm writing a puppet show, and I'm about to get a team together to make a cartoon to put on youtube.

Sounds to me like you have some serious leadership skills and qualities . Make sure you highlight them on your resume. Try and beef it up. Write a cover letter if you don't have one. Really sell your strengths. I can take a look at your resume if you want me to. I'm a business major and in my program we are required to be trained to write resumes and cover letters. I wrote my boyfriends resume and he has a great job working with a Microsoft subsidiary. If you're not comfortable with that I can suggest some great resume builder resources. If you're still in school see your guidance councilor or adviser. If not check your city programs. This past year I interned with the city government helping small business owners and young professionals. We has all kinds of networking and job prep programs. Going to programs like that will not only help you gain some valuable job search tips but you also set yourself up to meet a future employer. You should really see if they offer something like that where you live. There is only so much I can do over the internet.If you really need help your best bet would be to find someone where you live.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i haven't had a real job for almost 3 years.. i've gotten really close but it never comes through. though honestly i haven't been looking that hard most of the time. and i need money hella bad right now.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Don't internalize things you have no real way of seeing into. Nothing is wrong with YOU just because you cannot get a job. I was trying for about 6 months straight with no results, then gave up and collected a different plan that would work for me.

If you know people in small jobs, ask them if they know of any openings. Networking is the quickest (and often easiest) way to get a job. If you don't know anyone that can help you, I suggest starting to correspond with your local Workforce Solutions center. I don't know about other states, but the people at the ones here get paid to do nothing but help you locate a job.

Keep filling out applications, and keep submitting them, even if you don't immediately think you are 100% qualified for a job. Take the time to tailor your resume to include some of the words that the description of each resume says they are looking for.

You're fully functioning and capable of getting a job. When people say the economy is down and the job market sucks, they REALLY do mean it. 150,000$ educations are being wasted at part-time jobs, people are being turned down for being over qualified now-a-days (which is what happened to me a lot), and there is room for people to be picky with so many applications out there.. they can outsource, and pull people from other states, or people they know. There's a hundred reasons, and HOW you are is NOT one of them. They don't know you, and so they aren't 'rejecting' you. You're just one person in a sea of applicants.

It really is a test of time and patience. It's annoying, but the more resumes you submit and the more variety of work you are willing to commit to, the better. Eventually you WILL be picked up for something. I would try networking first though.

Atomic Fiend

I used to feel the same way till I landed two jobs.

Keep trying prp and I'm sure you'll end up with more work then you'll actually get paid for.