User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    So dont question the system just accept all it's bureaucracy b.s that's a good way to get far in life stay silent and stfu.
    It is just one of the many ways you can proceed after high school is how I see it. As long as you don't get into the many pitfalls of college, you'd make it out alive, with contacts, and a career that will pay you decently to live on your own (without feeling like you need to depend on someone or work double-time) as long as you don't get into something that doesn't make you much money in the first place. You don't have to go to the highest costing college for anything nor do you need to go to private colleges (looking at places like UoP.)

The other thing, you make most of what you do in college. If it is shit, chances are, you are treating your time there as shit. There are better things to do if that is the case. You are spending money there, might as well use every available resource there. What I found was that everything I've learned while there is that everything is interconnected in some way. As such, the advantage I have compared to someone who hasn't has college is that I might know of many different ways to start a business (though I am no business major) compared to one who decided to start a business right off the bat.

I known people who have gotten most of their tuition and cost-of-living paid off by doing lots and lots of scholarships and get their degree. Many of these people proceed to other things that make them out to be the one (some chose to get into the military... a few others chose to get into peace corps as part of their portfolio.)

How'd it turn out? I bet you they be making more money compared to if they didn't go to college.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    It is just one of the many ways you can proceed after high school is how I see it. As long as you don't get into the many pitfalls of college, you'd make it out alive, with contacts, and a career that will pay you decently to live on your own (without feeling like you need to depend on someone or work double-time) as long as you don't get into something that doesn't make you much money in the first place. You don't have to go to the highest costing college for anything nor do you need to go to private colleges (looking at places like UoP.)

The other thing, you make most of what you do in college. If it is shit, chances are, you are treating your time there as shit. There are better things to do if that is the case. You are spending money there, might as well use every available resource there. What I found was that everything I've learned while there is that everything is interconnected in some way. As such, the advantage I have compared to someone who hasn't has college is that I might know of many different ways to start a business (though I am no business major) compared to one who decided to start a business right off the bat.

I known people who have gotten most of their tuition and cost-of-living paid off by doing lots and lots of scholarships and get their degree. Many of these people proceed to other things that make them out to be the one (some chose to get into the military... a few others chose to get into peace corps as part of their portfolio.)

How'd it turn out? I bet you they be making more money compared to if they didn't go to college.
    Tehcnical colleges are good undergrades are b.s I bet most doctors and lawyers dont remeber a single thing while doing their undergrad. They just did it to get accepted into medical and law school. Most will tell you that job experience was the most important factor in becoming a good doctor or lawyer. Teaches are also very underpaid in the u.s it's a joke.

Tehcnical colleges are good undergrades are b.s I bet most doctors and lawyers dont remeber a single thing while doing their undergrad. They just did it to get accepted into medical and law school. Most will tell you that job experience was the most important factor in becoming a good doctor or lawyer. Teaches are also very underpaid in the u.s it's a joke.
    I bet your English teacher wasn't underpaid.

Society

Think about it, if you ever want any success in having a high pay job you need to go through countless loops and hoops to ever achieve it through schooling. To become a doctor you need like 8-9 years of schooling with god knows how much tuition you will paying at the end of it(especially in the united states). I think this system is relativity outdated I mean what the fuck is the point of undergrad degrees if you don't actually bring you to where you want to go? those are precious years of human life we will never get back it just seems unreasonable.
    this is a problem that has fascinated me:

economically speaking, the purpose of education is to put a small pile of resumes on the desk and a larger pile of resumes in the trash can. as a result:
    - your level of education is only as meaningful as it is rare relatively to demand. the higher the ratio of diplomas per job, the higher the requirement get.
    - the higher the requirement get, the more critical the investment in education becomes, so more people invest in it, the higher the demand for diploma's get.
    - the higher the demand for diplomas get, the more expensive the diplomas becomes, and the bigger the loans they need, the longer they'll stay in debt.

this inflation seems to just be getting bigger and bigger, and unless there's some huge system overhaul, it's not going away. within the current system, the only way to change the curve is to increase job growth relatively to the population growth - the more jobs you have per field, the lower you'll go to get people to fulfill those jobs. but job growth is restrained by the cost of employment - theoretically you can always get people together to provide a service for a lower price, and the economy would shift to enable people to gain those services at lower prices. but we have systems to prevent that - minimum wage laws, health coverage laws, calculated legal risks per employee, etc. in a global economy, countries with a higher ratio of certifications per minimum employment fees are going to gain most of the job growth.

i've looked into online education as a solution, but i think it will actually make things worst in a sense - more and more colleges are going to expect students to already have an online education (in addition to their own) prior to certification, while companies that recognize online education certification on it's own right are going to have an even larger pool to get from countries that have a lower employment cost.

i think right now, much of the economy might have to shift to freelancing and personal contracts that enable loopholes within the minimum employment cost. atm this is restricted to online services and sites like taskrabbit, but the problem is that many larger and more critical fields aren't as easily distributed without loosing cost-effectiveness.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I bet your English teacher wasn't underpaid.
    I'm Writing off my cheap cell phone. Thanks for caring so much.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    this is a problem that has fascinated me:

economically speaking, the purpose of education is to put a small pile of resumes on the desk and a larger pile of resumes in the trash can. as a result:
    - your level of education is only as meaningful as it is rare relatively to demand. the higher the ratio of diplomas per job, the higher the requirement get.
    - the higher the requirement get, the more critical the investment in education becomes, so more people invest in it, the higher the demand for diploma's get.
    - the higher the demand for diplomas get, the more expensive the diplomas becomes, and the bigger the loans they need, the longer they'll stay in debt.
    This is exactly what I'm trying to get at, it's all a business. I live in Ontario and the best technical colleges here are the ones that are about 2 hours away from the city. Want to get into the medical field as a technologist in Toronto? forget about it.... It's something I didn't know until recently.

Society

This is exactly what I'm trying to get at, it's all a business. I live in Ontario and the best technical colleges here are the ones that are about 2 hours away from the city. Want to get into the medical field as a technologist in Toronto? forget about it.... It's something I didn't know until recently.
    make use of it and get into RESP fund management?

the truth is as sucky as the business is, with nothing promised or guaranteed (i've seen plenty of talents ending up in mcdonalds or call centers straight after college), it is pretty much rigged to be your best chances - your education is the one way to try and delay your skills replacement. moving outside of toronto isn't that bad... not sure which colleges you are looking at, but oshowa (durham) is pretty awesome relatively to the rent, and if you are going to london (fanshawe) you pretty much have everything city-wise minus the toronto attitude & car smell, both are a lot cheaper to live in, you'll be in less debt when you come out.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    make use of it and get into RESP fund management?

the truth is as sucky as the business is, with nothing promised or guaranteed (i've seen plenty of talents ending up in mcdonalds or call centers straight after college), it is pretty much rigged to be your best chances - your education is the one way to try and delay your skills replacement. moving outside of toronto isn't that bad... not sure which colleges you are looking at, but oshowa (durham) is pretty awesome relatively to the rent, and if you are going to london (fanshawe) you pretty much have everything city-wise minus the toronto attitude & car smell, both are a lot cheaper to live in, you'll be in less debt when you come out.
    I'm looking at fanshawe and mohawk in Hamilton great schools probably the best colleges in Ontario. How do you know these schools? There also Cambrian in sud bury

Society

I'm looking at fanshawe and mohawk in Hamilton great schools probably the best colleges in Ontario. How do you know these schools? There also Cambrian in sud bury
    i lived in london, had friends in oshawa and family in toronto. both my ex and her brother (and like a quarter of the city) went to fanshawe . i think i might have a cousin in hamilton - i remember he wanted to study there but i don't remember what came out of that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I really enjoyed college. Wish I could go back.