User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The printing press was invented in 1440 and with it the dream of universal literacy.

And the dream has been realised in the last 100 years in prosperous countries.

And the dream of universal literacy was realised with free, secular and compulsory education.

But in 1840 the electric telegraph was invented, followed by the telephone, the radio, the television and the computer. And now we no longer need free, secular and compulsory education.

But public education, together with literate individualism, is taking a long time to die.

You probably feel ambivalent yourself. You recognise there is something wrong with school but are reluctant to give up your individuality.
    The education system is inefficient and unrealistic it keeps people down in the dumps for a hope that one day afters years of slavery their lives will different.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    As far as undergraduate goes - well my view is just enjoy it because it's the last time you have so much freedom and so little responsibility.
    Is that just for those who are undergraduates, or for everyone?

Because I have to say i'm riding pretty high on my lack of responsibility right now.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
    you are so cute right now
    @jixmixfix has a point, though. Plus if you want to continue school, you have to really focus on achieving a high GPA and having great extracurriculars. There is no room for screw-ups.

Undergrad is not fun for me.

MBTI
    yupp

what's school/what's school/ got to do with it /baby don't hurt me/don't hurt me/no more
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Another factor is that competition for jobs is steep after college since so many people are getting degrees. This is why some men join the military or enter manual labor jobs (i.e. electrician, contractor, fireman etc).

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Think about it, if you ever want any success in having a high pay job you need to go through countless loops and hoops to ever achieve it through schooling. To become a doctor you need like 8-9 years of schooling with god knows how much tuition you will paying at the end of it(especially in the united states). I think this system is relativity outdated I mean what the fuck is the point of undergrad degrees if you don't actually bring you to where you want to go? those are precious years of human life we will never get back it just seems unreasonable.
    What seems unreasonable? We want knowledge(or as we it 'information') spoon fed to us so fast that we dont learn how to learn. We want everything so fast, but its just not authentic. I dont see anything wrong with taking time to learn something, as great things do take time. Our brains aerent wired to learn everything from the internet, this isnt really learning just collecting information. Also how is that time wasted? People in college party alot. Have orgies. etc. Beats working minimum wage your whole life, I think though if what you wanna do is flip fries all your life and you dont mind I say more power to ya, theres no silly job. But what about those people who wanna learn(note that Im not saying that school is the only place to learn not at all. But for alot of people, it is.) Also you dont need to go to school to earn alot of money, look at Pitbull or whatever his name is.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Because we'd rather have qualified people to provide us services.

Would you rely on an untrained doctor to cut your body with a scalpel?

Would you rely on an untrained lawyer to protect your freedom?

etc

/captain obvious
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post

Would you rely on an untrained doctor to cut your body with a scalpel?

Would you rely on an untrained lawyer to protect your freedom?

etc

/captain obvious
    Wouldn't want an untrained person at all I'm more or less talking about the efficiency of our education system. Does a doctor really need 8-10 years of schooling or could their work be done sooner same with layers and other professions. It seems that the education system is set up so that we have to push through countless hoops in order to achieve our goal.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Another factor is that competition for jobs is steep after college since so many people are getting degrees. This is why some men join the military or enter manual labor jobs (i.e. electrician, contractor, fireman etc).
    These are skilled trades, not manual labor. They are respectable and often lucrative career choices for both men and women. Joining the military is also an option whose merits are not limited to men.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Society increasingly values certification over qualification, though, which relates to the idea of excessive formal schooling. It doesn't count if you can actually do the job, if you don't have all the right paperwork and boxes checked. This affects well qualified people who got their training and experience in the military, overseas, or even in a different state, and feeds a racket in which they must pay for unneeded "training", new certificates, wavers, application fees, etc. It has everything to do with bureaucracy and profit, and little to do with making sure someone can do the job. The skilled trades Giggly mentioned rely on apprenticeships in most cases. More occupations would do well to follow this model.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

There are loopholes, yes, but any alternative would come up with its own loopholes, and I think we're better off dealing with the ones that we are already pretty aware of.

/Tert Si

Maybe not though.

/Aux Ne
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------