User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Advice for soon-to-be undergraduate students.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Just reading your post is getting me positively crazy about getting back to classes this fall... I think your broad base is fantastic and you'll get a lot out of school.

I went to a student-population<2,000 school for my freshman year... if you can plug into the community (it's not automatic, but it's not too difficult either), you'll probably have some of the best times of your life over there. Good Luck!

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Well, at this point it just comes down to one's pedagogic philosophy... but I've found that the interconnections between and amongst various disciplines are almost as numerous as the strict differences. Psychology doesn't really count as an art, unless you're getting deep into Lacan, Jung, or Freud.

By the way... note that I NEVER said to sacrifice one's own interests... that's a red herring in your response to my post... but the fact that you took NO arts classes outside your science courses? That sounds rigidly unadventurous to me. ...
    Well, there are a limited number of time slots for courses...assuming there are an effectively unlimited number of classes available in your chosen subject (which there usually are), you are by default sacrificing that experience if you choose to take a class which interests you less, outside your discipline. You didn't say sacrifice, but I don't think I'm mistaken in inferring it.

I understand your view, since I've heard it many times before. I simply disagree. While I fully intend to follow many unrelated subjects that appeal to me, I certainly won't waste time studying ones that don't interest me at all, such as the arts...because I doubt that they'll ever interest me, so it is of little use to be educated in such areas. That's why I'm in university - high school was where you had to take all the classes that didn't interest you. This is where you PAY to learn what you actually want to...why should anyone feel obligated to learn something that doesn't interest them, doesn't have a practical use, and far worse, takes the potential time slot of a course which could do all that?

You can call me unadventurous, though I think it's unfair. I'm not afraid to take arts courses, I'm just choosing the science ones, which I predict I will enjoy far more. I prefer to think of it as following my own dreams and ambitions, rather the ones some people think I should have.

edit: to clarify, I am only explaining what I've felt was best for my own course of action; I don't think there's anything wrong with taking different kinds of subjects, in fact it's a good thing...I just think a new university student would be well-advised to consider what their own individual interests are when choosing courses.

827 sp/so
    SLE Ti

What are some things you regret doing at college?
    I regret taking my college experience so seriously my first year... I actually studied quite a bit at the expense of my social life that year, and was a member of several organizations in connection with my studies I still feel like I missed out on quite a bit of fun then after I started to have fun but still got really good grades

I also regret some unwise relationship decisions made, but that was just shit that happened WHILE in college, not necissarily a college experience

What are some things you regret not doing at college?
    Having fun my freshman year (as mentioned above)... other than that, I spent 6 years in college, I had plenty of time to do just about anything I'd wish to do

Are there any courses that you wished you had taken, but didn't? (because they would have helped you after school)
    I kinna wish I took a class on resume writing, because I feel a bit embarassed that I'm getting help from a company president with that at the moment But other than that, I think I took more than enough classes for just about anything I'd want to do.

Congrats and have fun... don't take yourself too seriously, but don't forget why you're at college at the same time. Unless it's something you'll seriously regret doing, don't turn down any opportunities... it's worse to wonder "what if" than to waste a Saturday night.
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett