Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by decrescendo View Post
    Isn't learning by heart just memorization, while learning by route entails figuring something out for yourself?

edit: wait, route or rote?
    I actually think the OP meant "rote" like remembering something robotically word for word.

Like the jewelry store commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    Sometimes I really, really like you Victor
    When he was good,
    He was very, very good,
    And when he was bad, he was horrid.

Learning by rote and by heart are the same to me. Learning by route is how I know my way to work.

Quote Originally Posted by decrescendo View Post
    Isn't learning by heart just memorization, while learning by route entails figuring something out for yourself?

edit: wait, route or rote?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I actually think the OP meant "rote" like remembering something robotically word for word.

Like the jewelry store commercial.
    Lol. yes. I should stop posting from my phone with it's handy though often misfiring auto-complete.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Ginkgo

I think if you learn something by heart, you understand it well enough to apply it to other activities and use your ability creatively. Not only that, but you'll be able to predict some of the consequences of doing so. If you learn something by rote, then carrying out the procedure is mired by thoughts of how you even ought to tolerate the activity.