• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is failure and what is success?

Newbyagain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Also can you tie this into attractiveness. Be delicate here please, I am dealing with a lot of failure.

S

Society

I personally go by the great philosopher- batman:
"we fall so that we will learn how to get up again"

What kind of failures are you dealing with?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
“Don't aim at success. The more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side effect of one's personal dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself. Happiness must happen, and the same holds for success: you have to let it happen by not caring about it. I want you to listen to what your conscience commands you to do and go on to carry it out to the best of your knowledge. Then you will live to see that in the long-run—in the long-run, I say!—success will follow you precisely because you had forgotten to think about it”
― Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

Newbyagain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
“Don't aim at success. The more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side effect of one's personal dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself. Happiness must happen, and the same holds for success: you have to let it happen by not caring about it. I want you to listen to what your conscience commands you to do and go on to carry it out to the best of your knowledge. Then you will live to see that in the long-run—in the long-run, I say!—success will follow you precisely because you had forgotten to think about it”
― Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

Thanks.

Newbyagain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I personally go by the great philosopher- batman:
"we fall so that we will learn how to get up again"

What kind of failures are you dealing with?

Finishing a degree. I already graduated, but switch it up, so I haven't gotten started in my professional life yet.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I wouldn't beat yourself up over that. The unemployment rate for those aged 16-24 is more than double the national average. It's tough out there right now.

S

Society

There might be a generational gap at works here, but I dont think gen y (myself.included) gets to pat ourselves on the back over a fantasy scanerio that it would all work out if we were living in better times (even if thats just a decase ago). Our personal failures are no less our responsibility.

MBTI Type
Mann
There might be a generational gap at works here, but I dont think gen y (myself.included) gets to pat ourselves on the back over a fantasy scanerio that it would all work out if we were living in better times (even if thats just a decase ago). Our personal failures are no less our responsibility.

Yes.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Failure is just a term we use to describe not getting what we wanted; success a term to describe getting it. Neither is intrinsically linked to your personal worth, the quality of your character, the quality of your life, your ultimate happiness, or your personal search for meaning.

Like cafe said, the economy is terrible right now anyway. Better to use these years setting yourself up as best as you can to enter the economy as a happy, motivated, skilled professional, as opposed to figuring out years down the line that you're not doing what makes you happiest, when the details of life make it harder to change.

Go out and do some little accomplishments if you need a boost. Paint something, write something, sing something, jog a mile, take a hike, donate to charity, clean up your place, read a book, help a friend, anything that makes you feel like you've done something worthwhile. :)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Failure is just a term we use to describe not getting what we wanted; success a term to describe getting it. Neither is intrinsically linked to your personal worth, the quality of your character, the quality of your life, your ultimate happiness, or your personal search for meaning.

Like cafe said, the economy is terrible right now anyway. Better to use these years setting yourself up as best as you can to enter the economy as a happy, motivated, skilled professional, as opposed to figuring out years down the line that you're not doing what makes you happiest, when the details of life make it harder to change.

Go out and do some little accomplishments if you need a boost. Paint something, write something, sing something, jog a mile, take a hike, donate to charity, clean up your place, read a book, help a friend, anything that makes you feel like you've done something worthwhile. :)

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm going to quote an old guy named Bob here: 'A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.'

aimy

Enneagram
My definition of failure is settling. Never ever settle for anything less than what you want. Don't allow people to tell you that your ideas or dreams are stupid or too big.

Success is whatever makes you happy. Looking back at your actions and being so proud of your choices that you will tell them to any and everyone.

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
Failure is when you don't live up to the expectations you put on yourself. Success is achieving your personal goals.

Anything beyond that is semantics.

Newbyagain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm going to quote an old guy named Bob here: 'A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.'

In that case, I guess you could say that a whole lot of people who claim to be successful aren't quite, but nobody seems to credit personal growth.

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm 31.

What is there to "get"? We don't know what exactly this is relation to, so it's hard to understand it that way.

Do you feel like you're getting too old to achieve something and be "successful"?

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Success and failure have two different meanings both intrinsically and extrinsically.

Meaning, success/failure can be personal (inward) and professional (outward). They can be both if they start intrinsically and tie in with one's work, which gives meaning to what one does.

I.e., a lawyer who wins a case he/she adamantly opposes to, yet fights for anyway because it's his/her livelihood, then, their success is extrinsic. Probably not as rewarding, nor personally fulfilling but pays the bills.

Or, people who seem to have it all, yet come home to a vacant empty home with no one to share it with but a bunch of pseudo-accomplices- like politicians.

Perhaps OP, your failure right now has nothing to do with your looks. Considering the widening gap in economic disparity and a broken education system (assuming you are from the U.S.), you're probably noticing a shift in career mobility. We're going through tough times right now. 99% of the world's wealth controlled by 1% of the world population, is a sociological fact. But, like how the avenues of psychology and sociology seem to be divided, you can still determine your personal success by how you live your life on a one-to-one personal level on a daily basis.