User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Failure is just a term we use to describe not getting what we wanted; success a term to describe getting it. Neither is intrinsically linked to your personal worth, the quality of your character, the quality of your life, your ultimate happiness, or your personal search for meaning.

Like cafe said, the economy is terrible right now anyway. Better to use these years setting yourself up as best as you can to enter the economy as a happy, motivated, skilled professional, as opposed to figuring out years down the line that you're not doing what makes you happiest, when the details of life make it harder to change.

Go out and do some little accomplishments if you need a boost. Paint something, write something, sing something, jog a mile, take a hike, donate to charity, clean up your place, read a book, help a friend, anything that makes you feel like you've done something worthwhile.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Failure is just a term we use to describe not getting what we wanted; success a term to describe getting it. Neither is intrinsically linked to your personal worth, the quality of your character, the quality of your life, your ultimate happiness, or your personal search for meaning.

Like cafe said, the economy is terrible right now anyway. Better to use these years setting yourself up as best as you can to enter the economy as a happy, motivated, skilled professional, as opposed to figuring out years down the line that you're not doing what makes you happiest, when the details of life make it harder to change.

Go out and do some little accomplishments if you need a boost. Paint something, write something, sing something, jog a mile, take a hike, donate to charity, clean up your place, read a book, help a friend, anything that makes you feel like you've done something worthwhile.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I'm going to quote an old guy named Bob here: 'A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.'
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTj

My definition of failure is settling. Never ever settle for anything less than what you want. Don't allow people to tell you that your ideas or dreams are stupid or too big.

Success is whatever makes you happy. Looking back at your actions and being so proud of your choices that you will tell them to any and everyone.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Failure is when you don't live up to the expectations you put on yourself. Success is achieving your personal goals.

Anything beyond that is semantics.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    I'm going to quote an old guy named Bob here: 'A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.'
    In that case, I guess you could say that a whole lot of people who claim to be successful aren't quite, but nobody seems to credit personal growth.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx

I don't think you all get it. I am thirty years old.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I'm 31.

What is there to "get"? We don't know what exactly this is relation to, so it's hard to understand it that way.

Do you feel like you're getting too old to achieve something and be "successful"?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Success and failure have two different meanings both intrinsically and extrinsically.

Meaning, success/failure can be personal (inward) and professional (outward). They can be both if they start intrinsically and tie in with one's work, which gives meaning to what one does.

I.e., a lawyer who wins a case he/she adamantly opposes to, yet fights for anyway because it's his/her livelihood, then, their success is extrinsic. Probably not as rewarding, nor personally fulfilling but pays the bills.

Or, people who seem to have it all, yet come home to a vacant empty home with no one to share it with but a bunch of pseudo-accomplices- like politicians.

Perhaps OP, your failure right now has nothing to do with your looks. Considering the widening gap in economic disparity and a broken education system (assuming you are from the U.S.), you're probably noticing a shift in career mobility. We're going through tough times right now. 99% of the world's wealth controlled by 1% of the world population, is a sociological fact. But, like how the avenues of psychology and sociology seem to be divided, you can still determine your personal success by how you live your life on a one-to-one personal level on a daily basis.