User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Default College major / career advice?

I'll probably be going to a liberal arts school, so I know that being undecided for the first year or so won't be problematic. I have a history of extremely slowly-made decisions, though, and I'm interested in hearing others' ideas.

Majors I'm considering:
    Philosophy -- because it would stretch my intellect in ways that I could see as being useful to whatever career(s) I choose, because it's extremely interesting to me, and because it would keep my writing skills in check. The only downsides are a. I would feel really pretentious telling people about my major, b. I'm concerned that other Philosophy majors would also be snobs, and c. I might fail and/or end up jobless.
    Political Science -- because I know nothing about it, and I feel like I need to. I think I'd love political theory, too. might be useful to my career (?)
    Global/International Studies -- same as above.
    Religious Studies -- "
    English -- "

Career ideas: All I know is that I want to do something that's creative and idea-based, but with a fairly concrete purpose. The only other ideas I have are that

• I'd really love for it to involve a significant amount of writing and an intersection of multiple different fields.
    • I'd want to work with people some, too...not constantly, but I wouldn't be thrilled about sitting in an office by myself all day either.
    • I hate being in leadership positions. I can enjoy it for short periods of time, but after a while I start to hate myself. I'd rather be part of a more community-like atmosphere.
    • Considering doing something related to curriculum or education policy, which I'd go to grad school for. Definitely wouldn't want either as an undergraduate major.
    • Potential income range isn't a major factor, but I want to have a decent amount of financial security (lower middle class is fine)

The main reason I'm posting this is to see if any of you know of jobs that might fit what I'm looking for. And if you have any other advice (majors, college life, etc.), that'd also be hugely appreciated!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Volunteer

Normally, I'd say get accepted into Harvard then drop out after a semester, but in your case skip the degree. Find part-time work and volunteer in your spare time while studying all that crap you mentioned at a local library. You'll soon have the tools to start your own business and/or directly apply for positions you'd find enjoyable with a stacked contact database.

I feel that yours is the generation that will reclaim their 20s.

thinking of you

garbage

Academia wouldn't be a terrible thing to consider. You can reach across disciplines, work with others democratically, work as a lib arts person, and.. well, write. Whatever you do, you must keep your ear to the ground so that you don't wind up in a position that isn't for you. Get some experience in your field while you're in school.

You could also take on a career that's more likely to net you a job and that loosely ties in to one of your interests, so that you can get your feet wet but actually have a chance at Not Starving; then bend your job toward your interests later on.

Neither of these are exactly quick or clear solutions.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I always say this, and I will continue to say it: College is a business exchange.

Yes, you can DEFINITELY get SO much out of the education you get there--something absolutely priceless and that goes way beyond a career. You earn raw knowledge that allows one to expand the mind and adapt.. But keep in mind that this is worth effort in and of itself. You get neat tips and tricks that you just wouldn't find elsewhere, and a professor that is good is worth his/her weight in gold. This does not mean you will get a career out of it though.

So consider why you are going to college. If it is to get a job, then go that route. If it is to be educated, then go that route. Keep in mind there are continued education classes that are cheaper and don't take grades at all, so you CAN attend things like that on the side while pursuing a career. You'd be sacrificing personal time for education.

Liberal arts degrees will not usually show much of a profit within themselves though. You need a focus to get a job straight out of college. You need either a certification in something, or a degree that is in demand, to get a job right after school.

My advice? Whatever you do, Do not take student loans out. Go to school debt free.. that way there isn't nearly as much pressure on you and you can actually enjoy the whole experience no matter what you do. Students going into debt for their education is one of the biggest reasons why they end up slaves to the system in their late 20's and early 30's instead of doing what they love and following their hearts.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by decrescendo View Post
    I'll probably be going to a liberal arts school, so I know that being undecided for the first year or so won't be problematic. I have a history of extremely slowly-made decisions, though, and I'm interested in hearing others' ideas.

Majors I'm considering:
    Philosophy -- because it would stretch my intellect in ways that I could see as being useful to whatever career(s) I choose, because it's extremely interesting to me, and because it would keep my writing skills in check. The only downsides are a. I would feel really pretentious telling people about my major, b. I'm concerned that other Philosophy majors would also be snobs, and c. I might fail and/or end up jobless.
    Political Science -- because I know nothing about it, and I feel like I need to. I think I'd love political theory, too. might be useful to my career (?)
    Religious Studies -- "
    English -- "

Career ideas: All I know is that I want to do something that's creative and idea-based, but with a fairly concrete purpose. The only other ideas I have are that

• I'd really love for it to involve a significant amount of writing and an intersection of multiple different fields.
    • I'd want to work with people some, too...not constantly, but I wouldn't be thrilled about sitting in an office by myself all day either.
    • I hate being in leadership positions. I can enjoy it for short periods of time, but after a while I start to hate myself. I'd rather be part of a more community-like atmosphere.
    • Considering doing something related to curriculum or education policy, which I'd go to grad school for. Definitely wouldn't want either as an undergraduate major.
    • Potential income range isn't a major factor, but I want to have a decent amount of financial security (lower middle class is fine)

The main reason I'm posting this is to see if any of you know of jobs that might fit what I'm looking for. And if you have any other advice (majors, college life, etc.), that'd also be hugely appreciated!
    Grant writing comes to mind.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Majors I'm considering:
    Religious Studies -- "
    English -- "

You're gonna wind up broke as fuck with all of these majors. Why don't you do international business? It seems like it would suit you, and you wouldn't wind up with a Walmart job afterwards.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    You're gonna wind up broke as fuck with all of these majors. Why don't you do international business? It seems like it would suit you, and you wouldn't wind up with a Walmart job afterwards.
    You're the only one (out of the 100+ people I've had to talk to about this) who has told me that. Thanks for being realistic. My dad keeps telling me to consider business -- something along the lines of "corporations could have such a positive impact if people with better intentions were running them." Now that you've brought that up again, I'm beginning to see his point. It would be nice to know that there were jobs available for me, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Grant writing comes to mind.
    Also a good idea.

To the people who suggested not going to college: thanks for your input, but I know that college would be a good experience for me.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

You're the only one (out of the 100+ people I've had to talk to about this) who has told me that. Thanks for being realistic. My dad keeps telling me to consider business -- something along the lines of "corporations could have such a positive impact if people with better intentions were running them." Now that you've brought that up again, I'm beginning to see his point. It would be nice to know that there were jobs available for me, anyway.

Also a good idea.

To the people who suggested not going to college: thanks for your input, but I know that college would be a good experience for me.
    I can tell you that if you did international business, you would probably like that. You sound like you would like a job that offers a lot of international relations with a vast range of cultures and international business would give you that. You are also required to learn a foreign language with that major and to study abroad. I think you'd like it. For god's sake, don't do philosophy, unless you want to go all the way to a ph. d.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    I can tell you that if you did international business, you would probably like that. You sound like you would like a job that offers a lot of international relations with a vast range of cultures and international business would give you that. You are also required to learn a foreign language with that major and to study abroad. I think you'd like it. For god's sake, don't do philosophy, unless you want to go all the way to a ph. d.
    I think so too, and I'll definitely look into it. But I've never really enjoyed learning foreign languages, as much as I've wanted to. I know basic Spanish and Dutch, and my favorite of the two is (by far) Dutch, which has no practical value at all. Any idea how useful German would be?

Yeah, I forgot to clarify, that was only if I would go on to grad school. I would never go out into the workforce with an undergraduate degree in philosophy. That would be insane.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I think so too, and I'll definitely look into it. But I've never really enjoyed learning foreign languages, as much as I've wanted to. I know basic Spanish and Dutch, and my favorite of the two is (by far) Dutch, which has no practical value at all. Any idea how useful German would be?

Yeah, I forgot to clarify, that was only if I would go on to grad school. I would never go out into the workforce with an undergraduate degree in philosophy. That would be insane.
    Go to a site called, collegeconfidential.com. The site is a very good place for college advice. Get on the forums and see what the people on those sites say