• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

College major / career advice?

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'll probably be going to a liberal arts school, so I know that being undecided for the first year or so won't be problematic. I have a history of extremely slowly-made decisions, though, and I'm interested in hearing others' ideas.

Majors I'm considering:
Philosophy -- because it would stretch my intellect in ways that I could see as being useful to whatever career(s) I choose, because it's extremely interesting to me, and because it would keep my writing skills in check. The only downsides are a. I would feel really pretentious telling people about my major, b. I'm concerned that other Philosophy majors would also be snobs, and c. I might fail and/or end up jobless.
Political Science -- because I know nothing about it, and I feel like I need to. I think I'd love political theory, too. might be useful to my career (?)
Global/International Studies -- same as above.
Religious Studies -- "
English -- "

Career ideas: All I know is that I want to do something that's creative and idea-based, but with a fairly concrete purpose. The only other ideas I have are that

• I'd really love for it to involve a significant amount of writing and an intersection of multiple different fields.
  • I'd want to work with people some, too...not constantly, but I wouldn't be thrilled about sitting in an office by myself all day either.
  • I hate being in leadership positions. I can enjoy it for short periods of time, but after a while I start to hate myself. I'd rather be part of a more community-like atmosphere.
  • Considering doing something related to curriculum or education policy, which I'd go to grad school for. Definitely wouldn't want either as an undergraduate major.
  • Potential income range isn't a major factor, but I want to have a decent amount of financial security (lower middle class is fine)

The main reason I'm posting this is to see if any of you know of jobs that might fit what I'm looking for. And if you have any other advice (majors, college life, etc.), that'd also be hugely appreciated! :)

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Volunteer

Normally, I'd say get accepted into Harvard then drop out after a semester, but in your case skip the degree. Find part-time work and volunteer in your spare time while studying all that crap you mentioned at a local library. You'll soon have the tools to start your own business and/or directly apply for positions you'd find enjoyable with a stacked contact database.

I feel that yours is the generation that will reclaim their 20s.

G

garbage

Academia wouldn't be a terrible thing to consider. You can reach across disciplines, work with others democratically, work as a lib arts person, and.. well, write. Whatever you do, you must keep your ear to the ground so that you don't wind up in a position that isn't for you. Get some experience in your field while you're in school.

You could also take on a career that's more likely to net you a job and that loosely ties in to one of your interests, so that you can get your feet wet but actually have a chance at Not Starving; then bend your job toward your interests later on.

Neither of these are exactly quick or clear solutions.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I always say this, and I will continue to say it: College is a business exchange.

Yes, you can DEFINITELY get SO much out of the education you get there--something absolutely priceless and that goes way beyond a career. You earn raw knowledge that allows one to expand the mind and adapt.. But keep in mind that this is worth effort in and of itself. You get neat tips and tricks that you just wouldn't find elsewhere, and a professor that is good is worth his/her weight in gold. This does not mean you will get a career out of it though.

So consider why you are going to college. If it is to get a job, then go that route. If it is to be educated, then go that route. Keep in mind there are continued education classes that are cheaper and don't take grades at all, so you CAN attend things like that on the side while pursuing a career. You'd be sacrificing personal time for education.

Liberal arts degrees will not usually show much of a profit within themselves though. You need a focus to get a job straight out of college. You need either a certification in something, or a degree that is in demand, to get a job right after school.

My advice? Whatever you do, Do not take student loans out. Go to school debt free.. that way there isn't nearly as much pressure on you and you can actually enjoy the whole experience no matter what you do. Students going into debt for their education is one of the biggest reasons why they end up slaves to the system in their late 20's and early 30's instead of doing what they love and following their hearts.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'll probably be going to a liberal arts school, so I know that being undecided for the first year or so won't be problematic. I have a history of extremely slowly-made decisions, though, and I'm interested in hearing others' ideas.

Majors I'm considering:
Philosophy -- because it would stretch my intellect in ways that I could see as being useful to whatever career(s) I choose, because it's extremely interesting to me, and because it would keep my writing skills in check. The only downsides are a. I would feel really pretentious telling people about my major, b. I'm concerned that other Philosophy majors would also be snobs, and c. I might fail and/or end up jobless.
Political Science -- because I know nothing about it, and I feel like I need to. I think I'd love political theory, too. might be useful to my career (?)
Religious Studies -- "
English -- "

Career ideas: All I know is that I want to do something that's creative and idea-based, but with a fairly concrete purpose. The only other ideas I have are that

• I'd really love for it to involve a significant amount of writing and an intersection of multiple different fields.
  • I'd want to work with people some, too...not constantly, but I wouldn't be thrilled about sitting in an office by myself all day either.
  • I hate being in leadership positions. I can enjoy it for short periods of time, but after a while I start to hate myself. I'd rather be part of a more community-like atmosphere.
  • Considering doing something related to curriculum or education policy, which I'd go to grad school for. Definitely wouldn't want either as an undergraduate major.
  • Potential income range isn't a major factor, but I want to have a decent amount of financial security (lower middle class is fine)

The main reason I'm posting this is to see if any of you know of jobs that might fit what I'm looking for. And if you have any other advice (majors, college life, etc.), that'd also be hugely appreciated! :)

Grant writing comes to mind.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

Majors I'm considering:
Religious Studies -- "
English -- "

You're gonna wind up broke as fuck with all of these majors. Why don't you do international business? It seems like it would suit you, and you wouldn't wind up with a Walmart job afterwards.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
You're gonna wind up broke as fuck with all of these majors. Why don't you do international business? It seems like it would suit you, and you wouldn't wind up with a Walmart job afterwards.

You're the only one (out of the 100+ people I've had to talk to about this) who has told me that. Thanks for being realistic. My dad keeps telling me to consider business -- something along the lines of "corporations could have such a positive impact if people with better intentions were running them." Now that you've brought that up again, I'm beginning to see his point. It would be nice to know that there were jobs available for me, anyway.

Grant writing comes to mind.

Also a good idea.

To the people who suggested not going to college: thanks for your input, but I know that college would be a good experience for me.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
You're the only one (out of the 100+ people I've had to talk to about this) who has told me that. Thanks for being realistic. My dad keeps telling me to consider business -- something along the lines of "corporations could have such a positive impact if people with better intentions were running them." Now that you've brought that up again, I'm beginning to see his point. It would be nice to know that there were jobs available for me, anyway.

Also a good idea.

To the people who suggested not going to college: thanks for your input, but I know that college would be a good experience for me.

I can tell you that if you did international business, you would probably like that. You sound like you would like a job that offers a lot of international relations with a vast range of cultures and international business would give you that. You are also required to learn a foreign language with that major and to study abroad. I think you'd like it. For god's sake, don't do philosophy, unless you want to go all the way to a ph. d.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I can tell you that if you did international business, you would probably like that. You sound like you would like a job that offers a lot of international relations with a vast range of cultures and international business would give you that. You are also required to learn a foreign language with that major and to study abroad. I think you'd like it. For god's sake, don't do philosophy, unless you want to go all the way to a ph. d.

I think so too, and I'll definitely look into it. But I've never really enjoyed learning foreign languages, as much as I've wanted to. I know basic Spanish and Dutch, and my favorite of the two is (by far) Dutch, which has no practical value at all. Any idea how useful German would be?

Yeah, I forgot to clarify, that was only if I would go on to grad school. I would never go out into the workforce with an undergraduate degree in philosophy. That would be insane.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think so too, and I'll definitely look into it. But I've never really enjoyed learning foreign languages, as much as I've wanted to. I know basic Spanish and Dutch, and my favorite of the two is (by far) Dutch, which has no practical value at all. Any idea how useful German would be?

Yeah, I forgot to clarify, that was only if I would go on to grad school. I would never go out into the workforce with an undergraduate degree in philosophy. That would be insane.

Go to a site called, collegeconfidential.com. The site is a very good place for college advice. Get on the forums and see what the people on those sites say

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1

In my experience:

For what it's worth, most people are either mildly interested or scoff when I tell them I'm a philosophy major. I don't think you have to worry about being pretentious when telling others that it is your major. No one takes it seriously or knows about it enough. Also, that would be the least of your worries. Philosophy is incredibly rewarding and you're constantly challenged by the material you have to read. At least, I am. But it requires a lot of critical thinking and going around in circles to put out a clear, well thought-out paper.

These should be your biggest concerns: the intensity of the content and the amount of reading you have to do to understand a concept. It's not always necessary, but you'll want to know what you're talking about when writing papers, which often entails reading the subject material. A lot of people skate by because they're smart enough and because they have a lot of other commitments, but it's easier when you do the reading, as laborious as it is.

That being said, it can by trying, but a lot of fun.

And for my more biased opinion on colleges and their relative worth:

Despite what is said about the worth of a college degree, I think it's absolutely worth it. The biggest concern most people cite are the finances, but it's not all about money. I say this as a poor kid who's going to be paying off her loans for the good majority of the rest of her life. Yes, I'm bitter about it sometimes, and yes, I highly recommend staying in-state so it's less expensive. (Please, please stay in state if you can help it. If you're lucky, your wanderlust has not totally consumed you, as it did me.) This is very circumstantial, though, as out of state schools can offer generous scholarships and in-state schools don't always have the programs or majors you may seek.

:unsure:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Philosophy is sort of a dead-end road.. I mean, you can get a Ph.D. and then.. what? Teach philosophy? It just isn't in great demand. I'm not saying don't take course material for it.. Definitely do what you want with your electives (it is why they're there and required in most colleges) or study it in your spare time with continued education... but you need to find out the REAL reason behind you going to college.

Almost everyone I know says college was a good thing for them, debt or no. But most people have regrets about how they were in college--they spent too much money, they chose the wrong major, they dropped out, they stayed in it too long, etc. You just need to know what you want to do with your life, and pick a degree that will get you there. If what you want in life isn't something that college will get you towards, you can use college to be well educated while you bide your time making that road yourself.

For God's sake.. Do not go into debt unless you cannot help it. If you have to go on vacations every summer to get away from the troubles of not being in debt, then do whatever it takes, but don't burn yourself out and end up in a situation where you're undergrad and $60k in debt and only then did you notice that being a teacher won't pay off those loans that you used for BS like housing and food. I'd rather live in my car than be 60k in debt.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
In my experience:

For what it's worth, most people are either mildly interested or scoff when I tell them I'm a philosophy major. I don't think you have to worry about being pretentious when telling others that it is your major. No one takes it seriously or knows about it enough. Also, that would be the least of your worries. Philosophy is incredibly rewarding and you're constantly challenged by the material you have to read. At least, I am. But it requires a lot of critical thinking and going around in circles to put out a clear, well thought-out paper.

These should be your biggest concerns: the intensity of the content and the amount of reading you have to do to understand a concept. It's not always necessary, but you'll want to know what you're talking about when writing papers, which often entails reading the subject material. A lot of people skate by because they're smart enough and because they have a lot of other commitments, but it's easier when you do the reading, as laborious as it is.

That being said, it can by trying, but a lot of fun.

And for my more biased opinion on colleges and their relative worth:

Despite what is said about the worth of a college degree, I think it's absolutely worth it. The biggest concern most people cite are the finances, but it's not all about money. I say this as a poor kid who's going to be paying off her loans for the good majority of the rest of her life. Yes, I'm bitter about it sometimes, and yes, I highly recommend staying in-state so it's less expensive. (Please, please stay in state if you can help it. If you're lucky, your wanderlust has not totally consumed you, as it did me.) This is very circumstantial, though, as out of state schools can offer generous scholarships and in-state schools don't always have the programs or majors you may seek.

:unsure:

First of all, sorry to bash your major choice! It does sound really fun and rewarding, and I wish I were brave/inventive enough to feel comfortable with it. I think I might rather choose a major with a more obvious real-life application. What are you thinking about doing after school?

I'm probably going to stay in-state, and I purposefully picked schools with awesome study abroad programs.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
STEM field + Spanish or Chinese language ability = profit.

Fuck bitches. Get money.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
First of all, sorry to bash your major choice! It does sound really fun and rewarding, and I wish I were brave/inventive enough to feel comfortable with it. I think I might rather choose a major with a more obvious real-life application. What are you thinking about doing after school?

I'm probably going to stay in-state, and I purposefully picked schools with awesome study abroad programs.

Oops! Did I make it sound like I was offended or something? I think I was trying to both attend to your point about how people would react and encourage the philosophy major... and totally failed, haha. Anyways, I didn't think you were bashing my major. Maybe it's just a knee-jerk reaction to defend it, since some have no faith. :(

I plan on going to law school afterwards. But ever since I got this surprisingly high-paying gig to do some video editing, I've started to fantasize about going into editing and producing. :tongue:

I'd rather live in my car than be 60k in debt.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm getting an official education right now and it sucks pretty freaking badly! :mad:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
STEM field + Spanish or Chinese language ability = profit.

...for the company that hires you to make you run around the world on their behalf. Seems pretty bad advice given the preferences made explicit by the OP.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...for the company that hires you to make you run around the world on their behalf. Seems pretty bad advice given the preferences made explicit by the OP.

That would assume that the OPs preferences are valid. I'm sure there are six year olds who want to run around eating cake and ice cream all day. Doesn't make it good for them either. Four or so years from now when the OP is tens of thousands in debt from his nice liberal arts school and enters a job market that gives too shits about another philosophy major, the preferences of his teenage self will probably mean little to him as well.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
That would assume that the OPs preferences are valid. I'm sure there are six year olds who want to run around eating cake and ice cream all day. Doesn't make it good for them either. Four or so years from now when the OP is tens of thousands in debt from his nice liberal arts school and enters a job market that gives too shits about another philosophy major, the preferences of his teenage self will probably mean little to him as well.

That doesn't mean suggesting a heavily corporate career makes sense. You can always find a middle ground that could both be compatible with someone's attitudes and provide a human living (not being "rich", of course).

Also, lol @ preferences being "valid". Of course they are. They are subjective, and only knowable by the individual itself.