User Tag List

First 345

Permabanned

Cool avatar.
    Philosophy is dead.
    Go revive it

(Should I want more or less philosophy degrees?)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Different questions, but I didn't want to start a new thread:

I keep finding myself drawn to issues of educational theory and reform, but I don't know what undergraduate majors would be most relevant to that, or what types of internships I should look for if I decide to pursue this.

Obviously a major in political science could work, especially if I went the reform route -- and maybe sociology?

Also keep coming back to the idea of urban planning. (Offered as both a major and minor at my school.) So if anyone is knowledgeable in that area and has good resources, please share! :]

MBTI
    INTP

Tbh you'd want to go down the teacher route. Become a teacher and create change from the ground up. Sociology would help, but there's no internships for pedagogical reform. And don't study politics to get into politics. That's just doing it arseways.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    Tbh you'd want to go down the teacher route. Become a teacher and create change from the ground up.
    You might be right. Now that I think about it, the only major issues I've had with the idea of teaching are that I dislike speaking in front of large groups of people, and that I would care so much about the children and perfecting the learning process that the pressure to do all I could would be overwhelming. But I guess that's how it should be. I've had so many teachers who didn't give a shit.

Sociology would help, but there's no internships for pedagogical reform.
    Yeah, I wasn't expecting for there to be internships specific to reform, but I don't know...I'm interested in standardized testing, so I was thinking of organizations like College Board.

And don't study politics to get into politics. That's just doing it arseways.
    The idea of studying politics is less appealing to me now that I think of it. But why do you say that?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by decrescendo View Post
    You might be right. Now that I think about it, the only major issues I've had with the idea of teaching are that I dislike speaking in front of large groups of people, and that I would care so much about the children and perfecting the learning process that the pressure to do all I could would be overwhelming. But I guess that's how it should be. I've had so many teachers who didn't give a shit.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting for there to be internships specific to reform, but I don't know...I'm interested in standardized testing, so I was thinking of organizations like College Board.
    Not a bad idea there

The idea of studying politics is less appealing to me now that I think of it. But why do you say that?
    Career politicians who studied politics and always knew they wanted to get into it are the worst. You should have a broad base of life experience before getting into politics. You should fully immerse yourself in life first. Learn a few languages, travel, work in a few careers, speak to everybody you can and understand as much as possible of various lifestyles. Fall madly in love and have your heart trampled all over. Open your eyes to the variety of the world and accept you will never know it all. Then, and only then, go into politics. Governments the world over are already stuffed with dusty old men who have never considered a world-view besides their own narrow one. Don't be another one.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons