User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Philosophy -- because it would stretch my intellect in ways that I could see as being useful to whatever career(s) I choose, because it's extremely interesting to me, and because it would keep my writing skills in check. The only downsides are a. I would feel really pretentious telling people about my major, b. I'm concerned that other Philosophy majors would also be snobs, and c. I might fail and/or end up jobless.
    In my experience:

For what it's worth, most people are either mildly interested or scoff when I tell them I'm a philosophy major. I don't think you have to worry about being pretentious when telling others that it is your major. No one takes it seriously or knows about it enough. Also, that would be the least of your worries. Philosophy is incredibly rewarding and you're constantly challenged by the material you have to read. At least, I am. But it requires a lot of critical thinking and going around in circles to put out a clear, well thought-out paper.

These should be your biggest concerns: the intensity of the content and the amount of reading you have to do to understand a concept. It's not always necessary, but you'll want to know what you're talking about when writing papers, which often entails reading the subject material. A lot of people skate by because they're smart enough and because they have a lot of other commitments, but it's easier when you do the reading, as laborious as it is.

That being said, it can by trying, but a lot of fun.

And for my more biased opinion on colleges and their relative worth:

Despite what is said about the worth of a college degree, I think it's absolutely worth it. The biggest concern most people cite are the finances, but it's not all about money. I say this as a poor kid who's going to be paying off her loans for the good majority of the rest of her life. Yes, I'm bitter about it sometimes, and yes, I highly recommend staying in-state so it's less expensive. (Please, please stay in state if you can help it. If you're lucky, your wanderlust has not totally consumed you, as it did me.) This is very circumstantial, though, as out of state schools can offer generous scholarships and in-state schools don't always have the programs or majors you may seek.

Yeah, I forgot to clarify, that was only if I would go on to grad school. I would never go out into the workforce with an undergraduate degree in philosophy. That would be insane.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Philosophy is sort of a dead-end road.. I mean, you can get a Ph.D. and then.. what? Teach philosophy? It just isn't in great demand. I'm not saying don't take course material for it.. Definitely do what you want with your electives (it is why they're there and required in most colleges) or study it in your spare time with continued education... but you need to find out the REAL reason behind you going to college.

Almost everyone I know says college was a good thing for them, debt or no. But most people have regrets about how they were in college--they spent too much money, they chose the wrong major, they dropped out, they stayed in it too long, etc. You just need to know what you want to do with your life, and pick a degree that will get you there. If what you want in life isn't something that college will get you towards, you can use college to be well educated while you bide your time making that road yourself.

For God's sake.. Do not go into debt unless you cannot help it. If you have to go on vacations every summer to get away from the troubles of not being in debt, then do whatever it takes, but don't burn yourself out and end up in a situation where you're undergrad and $60k in debt and only then did you notice that being a teacher won't pay off those loans that you used for BS like housing and food. I'd rather live in my car than be 60k in debt.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    In my experience:

For what it's worth, most people are either mildly interested or scoff when I tell them I'm a philosophy major. I don't think you have to worry about being pretentious when telling others that it is your major. No one takes it seriously or knows about it enough. Also, that would be the least of your worries. Philosophy is incredibly rewarding and you're constantly challenged by the material you have to read. At least, I am. But it requires a lot of critical thinking and going around in circles to put out a clear, well thought-out paper.

These should be your biggest concerns: the intensity of the content and the amount of reading you have to do to understand a concept. It's not always necessary, but you'll want to know what you're talking about when writing papers, which often entails reading the subject material. A lot of people skate by because they're smart enough and because they have a lot of other commitments, but it's easier when you do the reading, as laborious as it is.

That being said, it can by trying, but a lot of fun.

And for my more biased opinion on colleges and their relative worth:

Despite what is said about the worth of a college degree, I think it's absolutely worth it. The biggest concern most people cite are the finances, but it's not all about money. I say this as a poor kid who's going to be paying off her loans for the good majority of the rest of her life. Yes, I'm bitter about it sometimes, and yes, I highly recommend staying in-state so it's less expensive. (Please, please stay in state if you can help it. If you're lucky, your wanderlust has not totally consumed you, as it did me.) This is very circumstantial, though, as out of state schools can offer generous scholarships and in-state schools don't always have the programs or majors you may seek.

First of all, sorry to bash your major choice! It does sound really fun and rewarding, and I wish I were brave/inventive enough to feel comfortable with it. I think I might rather choose a major with a more obvious real-life application. What are you thinking about doing after school?

I'm probably going to stay in-state, and I purposefully picked schools with awesome study abroad programs.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

STEM field + Spanish or Chinese language ability = profit.

Fuck bitches. Get money.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by decrescendo View Post
    First of all, sorry to bash your major choice! It does sound really fun and rewarding, and I wish I were brave/inventive enough to feel comfortable with it. I think I might rather choose a major with a more obvious real-life application. What are you thinking about doing after school?

I'm probably going to stay in-state, and I purposefully picked schools with awesome study abroad programs.
    Oops! Did I make it sound like I was offended or something? I think I was trying to both attend to your point about how people would react and encourage the philosophy major... and totally failed, haha. Anyways, I didn't think you were bashing my major. Maybe it's just a knee-jerk reaction to defend it, since some have no faith.

I plan on going to law school afterwards. But ever since I got this surprisingly high-paying gig to do some video editing, I've started to fantasize about going into editing and producing.

I'd rather live in my car than be 60k in debt.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I'm getting an official education right now and it sucks pretty freaking badly!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    STEM field + Spanish or Chinese language ability = profit.
    ...for the company that hires you to make you run around the world on their behalf. Seems pretty bad advice given the preferences made explicit by the OP.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Marketing
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    ...for the company that hires you to make you run around the world on their behalf. Seems pretty bad advice given the preferences made explicit by the OP.
    That would assume that the OPs preferences are valid. I'm sure there are six year olds who want to run around eating cake and ice cream all day. Doesn't make it good for them either. Four or so years from now when the OP is tens of thousands in debt from his nice liberal arts school and enters a job market that gives too shits about another philosophy major, the preferences of his teenage self will probably mean little to him as well.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    That would assume that the OPs preferences are valid. I'm sure there are six year olds who want to run around eating cake and ice cream all day. Doesn't make it good for them either. Four or so years from now when the OP is tens of thousands in debt from his nice liberal arts school and enters a job market that gives too shits about another philosophy major, the preferences of his teenage self will probably mean little to him as well.
    That doesn't mean suggesting a heavily corporate career makes sense. You can always find a middle ground that could both be compatible with someone's attitudes and provide a human living (not being "rich", of course).

Also, lol @ preferences being "valid". Of course they are. They are subjective, and only knowable by the individual itself.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp