User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Default Job Interview and presentation tomorrow

Wish me luck!

I got through the first round of interviews last week and there are now four candidates remaining.

I've been asked to do a 15 minute presentation and then there's a 30 minute interview.

I've also produced a 30 page paper to support my presentation.

Do you think this is over the top?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

I don't get it, when are those people supposed to read the 30-page paper, whilst your presenting? Yes, it's over the top. Being short and efficient is also a quality. The only plus you get is that they're going to realise that you really want the job (my two cents).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Fair comment. I'm hoping to demonstrate depth of knowledge and also that I'm able to generate something this substantial within 4 days. I suppose it could smell of desperation though.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Best of luck!

If you haven't done it yet, ditch the paper. No one will read it and it'll probably alienate you from your interviewers. If you're going into education (which I think is the case?) then just do what they ask and do a good job. I'm speaking without any context, but if you wanted to provide a supplement, I'd say maybe three pages tops - basically, something small.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    Best of luck!

If you haven't done it yet, ditch the paper. No one will read it and it'll probably alienate you from your interviewers. If you're going into education (which I think is the case?) then just do what they ask and do a good job. I'm speaking without any context, but if you wanted to provide a supplement, I'd say maybe three pages tops - basically, something small.

Thanks I submitted the paper and it seemed to impress them.

I got the job

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Valis View Post

I got the job
    Dude, awesome! Shows what a pleb like me knows. You obviously knew what was best.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I got the job
    Yes - that would have impressed me. It shows drive, focus, thoroughness and a desire to work for them. Unless you came across as a fanatic in an interview, it is pretty impressive.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

garbage

I got the job

What motivated your paper? How much of a mix is it between presenting you in general, your industry, and the company you work for? It would've floored me, except if, y'know, it was uninsightful and laden with grammatical errors. .. which, clearly, it wasn't.

What's your area?

Having a personalized presentation, "brand," and CV/resume that can be tailored to specific audiences definitely, definitely helps. From my boss, I learned to keep a "The Book" that chronicles everything that I've ever done. It can be trimmed according to some specific job or proposal. It's been a great asset.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post

What motivated your paper? How much of a mix is it between presenting you in general, your industry, and the company you work for? It would've floored me, except if, y'know, it was uninsightful and laden with grammatical errors. .. which, clearly, it wasn't.

What's your area?

Having a personalized presentation, "brand," and CV/resume that can be tailored to specific audiences definitely, definitely helps. From my boss, I learned to keep a "The Book" that chronicles everything that I've ever done. It can be trimmed according to some specific job or proposal. It's been a great asset.
    I was motivated to do the paper in order to differentiate myself from the other candidates and to reiterate and expand the themes of the presentation. My area is education, and the presentation topic was the impact of government plans and strategy for the College. The book idea sounds good though I'd find it difficult to maintain it (I was never good at keeping a diary). I like to apply for jobs regularly (i.e. may be 1 a year) as I find it a useful exercise in updating my CV / application forms. It is surprising how much I find that I've done in the interim periods.