User Tag List

First 12345 Last

WALMART

Oh hey, my favorite user. Welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Oh hey, my favorite user. Welcome back.
    Probably just for a while, and then back again when I get a job. Right now figuring out and trying to get a job.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    You can't get an internship without being a 4th course college student. Or is it 3rd?
    Not necessarily. Excluding highly prestigious firms, most people arent going to put a stipulation on free help. If I were you, I'd look into firms in your area that either a) specialize in IT consulting, or b) have an IT department, then begin cold calling them to see if theyd let you intern with them. I would emphasize that I was looking at this as a learning opportunity, and would ideally try to speak to the most senior person I could get a hold of.

It'll take a lot of time, and youll hear a lot of no's, but someone, somewhere will probably take you on. Best case scenario: you get into the position, kick ass and end up getting something full time. Worst case scenario: you end up getting relevant experience and references out of the deal.

Meanwhile, knowing that youre not going to get paid, you get yourself a job flipping burgers or waiting tables so you at least have some income. Another alternative would be to hook up with a temp agency, and tell them youll do any work you can get. You'll have to work your ass off, but youll at least be moving forward. How do I know this? Because it's how I ended up working in finance despite not having any sort of previous relevant education or experience. If youre smart and persistent you can have anything you set your mind to.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Probably just for a while, and then back again when I get a job. Right now figuring out and trying to get a job.
    I think you should work in the development of video games - if you have all of these computer wiz skills you said you do, it should only be but a slight effort on your part to prove your competence; what better and more fun way to do it than video games?

How Becoming a Video Game Designer Works

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Not necessarily. Excluding highly prestigious firms, most people arent going to put a stipulation on free help. If I were you, I'd look into firms in your area that either a) specialize in IT consulting, or b) have an IT department, then begin cold calling them to see if theyd let you intern with them. I would emphasize that I was looking at this as a learning opportunity, and would ideally try to speak to the most senior person I could get a hold of.

It'll take a lot of time, and youll hear a lot of no's, but someone, somewhere will probably take you on. Best case scenario: you get into the position, kick ass and end up getting something full time. Worst case scenario: you end up getting relevant experience and references out of the deal.

Meanwhile, knowing that youre not going to get paid, you get yourself a job flipping burgers or waiting tables so you at least have some income. Another alternative would be to hook up with a temp agency, and tell them youll do any work you can get. You'll have to work your ass off, but youll at least be moving forward. How do I know this? Because it's how I ended up working in finance despite not having any sort of previous relevant education or experience. If youre smart and persistent you can have anything you set your mind to.
    If students don't have enough spots to be placed in, why would someone take some random guy who says he's got experience? While students DO have 3 years of relevant experience for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I think you should work in the development of video games - if you have all of these computer wiz skills you said you do, it should only be but a slight effort on your part to prove your competence; what better and more fun way to do it than video games?

How Becoming a Video Game Designer Works
    I will read the article in the evening and reply altogether. However just out of curiosity, as there are no game companies where I live.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

@Typoz

After reading this thread Falcarius is not really surprised Typoz is struggling with career opportunities: if one is not able to sell themselves to employers who is going to?

Like several people have said, it is not past employment or even qualification what most employers look for, but rather ones skills and what they can bring to the workplace.

For example, if one wants to be a IT support technician they have to be able to give example of having the following skills:

• An awareness of health and safety.
    • Dealing with to clients who may be in an aggravated state
    • The ability to explain problems and solutions clearly to non-technical users
    • Testing and servicing equipment
    • Interested in computers
    • Excellent problem-solving skills
    • The ability to prioritise, work under pressure and meet deadlines
    • A patient and methodical approach
    • The ability to work alone or as part of a team
    • A thorough knowledge of operating systems, networking, hardware and software
    • Recording problems and their solutions for future reference

Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

If students don't have enough spots to be placed in, why would someone take some random guy who says he's got experience? While students DO have 3 years of relevant experience for sure.
    A) Because initiative counts for a lot, especially in business.
    B) I'm not talking about a formal internship program. What I'm suggesting would most heavily rely on you impressing these people personally since you've got such a weak resume.
    C) Sitting in a classroom does not constitute formal experience.
    D) The whole point of an internship is to gain experience. Hence me suggesting that you frame it as a learning experience when you approach potential employers.

Again, what I suggested takes a fair amount of initiative, persistance and balls, but it is a direct route to get you where you wanna go. Given your background, you really don't have much of a choice but to hustle some. A good resume is helpful, but it's really a fairly small piece of the puzzle. Getting a job is a simple matter of convincing a potential employer that you will be able to execute a specific set of responsibilities with your existing skill set. That's all there to it. If you decide to pursue an internship, then the bars set even lower. It's then a matter of proving that you have a) some basic knowledge of the field, and b) you're not a complete and utter tard. If half of what you say about your existing knowledge is accurate, then you should have a). And if you can talk as little as possible, you could probably fool them about b).
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    After reading this thread Falcarius is not really surprised Typoz is struggling with career opportunities: if one is not able to sell themselves to employers who is going to?

Like several people have said, it is not past employment or even qualification what most employers look for, but rather ones skills and what they can bring to the workplace.

How can I TELL the employed that I have the skills in my CV without experience? Education would also give some clue, but nothing else that I'm aware of. Correct me

For example, if one wants to be a IT support technician they have to be able to give example of having the following skills:

• An awareness of health and safety.
      Unless you're quite stupid, this topic's intuitive.
    • Dealing with to clients who may be in an aggravated state
      Sure, unless they're really insistent - then it may get annoying, but I'd be able to deal with it.
    • The ability to explain problems and solutions clearly to non-technical users
      Done multiple times to multiple people.
    • Testing and servicing equipment
      Uhm, is this a skill?
    • Interested in computers
      Why else would I be seeking an IT career?
    • Excellent problem-solving skills
      Check.
    • The ability to prioritise, work under pressure and meet deadlines
      Of course.
    • A patient and methodical approach
      I don't do well with the "regulatory" approach. There was a few situations where I said I've done something and people said it's impossible. They linked me to some tutorial or showed it on a book, I found that approach being tedious, counter-intuitive and counter-productive. So yea, I would have a problem with this part, but I doubt that anybody would check - result's good? Good. Carry on and wait for a promotion.
    • The ability to work alone or as part of a team
      You have to be really... Inanimate? To not be able to dynamically switch between working in a team and alone. Although, team work is much better for me when I'm the one creating a plan, assuming the leader's position.
    • A thorough knowledge of operating systems, networking, hardware and software
      Check.
    • Recording problems and their solutions for future reference
      You mean remembering? If you do it more than once, you're bound to remember it, unless you've really poor memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    A) Because initiative counts for a lot, especially in business.
    B) I'm not talking about a formal internship program. What I'm suggesting would most heavily rely on you impressing these people personally since you've got such a weak resume.
    C) Sitting in a classroom does not constitute formal experience.
    D) The whole point of an internship is to gain experience. Hence me suggesting that you frame it as a learning experience when you approach potential employers.

Again, what I suggested takes a fair amount of initiative, persistance and balls, but it is a direct route to get you where you wanna go. Given your background, you really don't have much of a choice but to hustle some. A good resume is helpful, but it's really a fairly small piece of the puzzle. Getting a job is a simple matter of convincing a potential employer that you will be able to execute a specific set of responsibilities with your existing skill set. That's all there to it. If you decide to pursue an internship, then the bars set even lower. It's then a matter of proving that you have a) some basic knowledge of the field, and b) you're not a complete and utter tard. If half of what you say about your existing knowledge is accurate, then you should have a). And if you can talk as little as possible, you could probably fool them about b).
    A) However it is not everything, it just shows that you, for whatever reason, are looking for an internship. My reason would be to get employed or be able to say "I'm working there, but I wanna get a job at your place." I would not feel motivated to work as an intern for more than a couple months, as I am not getting anything out of it.
    B) No offense, but this sounds something like this in my mind: "don't take me as an intern, but I'll do what an intern would do." I assume I misunderstood you, so please explain.
    C) Exams, tests, checks, end-of-the-semester works, homework - that's "just" sitting in a classroom to you?
    D) Yea, but essentially they are hiring you for no pay with about the same expectations as from a real employee. You still work for them, you have to deal with the tasks they give you, and they don't have another guy double-checking your every step. That's why nobody wants non-students.

The problem with my resume is to actually GET an invitation to an interview. I can present myself all I want in an email, nobody cares about that after checking the resume. As far as I know, usually they get 3 best-looking candidates, they come and get interviewed. To present myself, I have to be one of the 3. As for the internship, plenty said in A/B/C/D, no need to repeat myself.

As for the "b)" you've mentioned, I'm looking for a promotion, I'm not planning to work in an entry-level position for very long. My goal now, though, is to get attention in the first place, show that I can do ___ and am proficient in ___ without a college degree.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

ITT: dude who is helpless until he battles the bad case of mansplaining* he's got.

*there's got to be an equivalent term that does the same kind of work as mansplaining, except instead of pointing to a sexism/confidence power differential, is more accurate for this situation where life experience/confidence are playing out
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    ITT: dude who is helpless until he battles the bad case of mansplaining* he's got.

*there's got to be an equivalent term that does the same kind of work as mansplaining, except instead of pointing to a sexism/confidence power differential, is more accurate for this situation where life experience/confidence are playing out
    I'm not trying to prove anything in this topic. I've created it to get advice AND related to the advice, figure out how I can improve my CV/get a job. By that said, I don't see how what you said is helpful or even makes sense.