User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Default Transitioning out of the corporate world

I'm interested in hearing the advice of anyone who's made that transition. Eventually I intend on entering academia, but in the meantime I have (modest) bills to pay. Still, my tolerance for corporate life is reaching its end. I'd like to transition into doing something of my own efforts that can pay my bills. Hence this solicitation of advice.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Do what you want, do what you love and fuck money

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Well I'd really prefer not to be homeless if I can help it. Or starving.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I'm interested in hearing the advice of anyone who's made that transition. Eventually I intend on entering academia, but in the meantime I have (modest) bills to pay. Still, my tolerance for corporate life is reaching its end. I'd like to transition into doing something of my own efforts that can pay my bills. Hence this solicitation of advice.
    Can you give us a bit more to go on - for instance, what field you are in, what skills/education you have, what types of work you prefer, etc. (Or link if posted elsewhere.)
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I think @ygolo made this transition?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Coriolis, you're correct of course. When I analyze my emotional state, I think I just want reassurance. I know what my skill set is and what will be necessary in becoming a freelance worker, it's just frightening for me. I guess this was a pretty selfish and stupid thread, but hey, if any entrepreneurs out there have any good advice, I'm totally open to ideas and advice right now.

FDG: that's true. Unfortunately, I didn't focus on my studies nearly as much in my youth as ygolo did, so I'm starting further back down the path. I also majored in something where the money is poor, prohibiting me from setting aside a nest egg like he was able to do.

MBTI
    ISTP

If you're planning to reproduce your career sans corporate employer, you'll have to give us more information about what you already do. If you're looking into a different type of career altogether, read on.

I have my the transition myself (ex-engineer) and the greatest challenge has been setting the right level of expectations for my next job. How much I expected I should enjoy my next job swung from either too low (because by the time you quit I was burnt out and anything seemed better) or too high because of the type of effort needed to reach a point where you enjoy the work is completely different than the work output you're used to in the corporate world. That is on top of the typical challenges of finding a job that fits your skills, interests, etc.

It has been a long and rough process and even a couple years later I'm only now at the stage where I am getting the training for my next career actually started. If I were to do it all over again, I would have stayed at my corporate job longer, planned a structured attack of the problem in my free time, then quit as late as possible before starting my next job/training rather than quitting due to the uncertainty of how long it could take and the stress of continuing to work at the corporate job you don't enjoy.

My 'structured attack' would have included tech school "try it for 10 days to see if you want to do this as a career" type stuff (sometimes offered to high school students) or community college night classes in the same subject as whatever field of deeper interest I was considering (for instance, look at the BS/BA 4th year class requirements then take a lower level class of the same subject).

If you're open to hands-on careers and are stuck, consider tech school, possibly night classes, or even the military.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    FDG: that's true. Unfortunately, I didn't focus on my studies nearly as much in my youth as ygolo did, so I'm starting further back down the path. I also majored in something where the money is poor, prohibiting me from setting aside a nest egg like he was able to do.
    You mean that you would eventually have to redo your bachelor's?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

What do you look like?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

LevelZeroHero: Thank you for your advice. Yes, I'm in the same boat. My previous career has a very low ceiling, so I don't see myself using those skills for anything other than my own personal satisfaction going forward. As for going to school:

FDG: Yes, that's correct. In fact, that's what I'm doing presently. Fortunately I don't have to retake any general education requirements, but I do have to raise my GPA to a satisfactory level to apply to graduate school.

Marmotini: Uhh... a pretty textbook nerd. Why do you ask?