• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which language(s) appeal(s) the most to you phonetically?

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I think I enjoy Latin, Italian, sometimes English, maybe some Scandinavian languages (don't get to hear them very often), maybe Russian. Other languages which might interest me I don't know enough. Oh yeah and of course my mother tongue German which gets little appreciation usually.

Don't really like French and Spanish I think. Oh yeah and "Denglisch" which is so common nowadays here (mixing English words randomly and for no reason into German sentences; it is fine when you use professional jargon or there is no common German equivalent, but it happens often also for no apparent reason).

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
maybe some Scandinavian languages

Which ones? I think Norwegian is cool, but Danish sounds really bad...

I think German sounds pretty good in a conference or speech, but not much when lots of people are speaking together (say in a Wirtshaus or w/e)

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Yeah Norwegian is probably also my favorite, but that one I have heard being spoken only very rarely. I wrote Scandinavian because sometimes when I hear it I don't really know which of the languages it really is :D

I have been to Denmark a few times but it somehow rarely ends up in hearing them talking. That most of the people there spoke German to us didn't help :)

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
German is, for whatever reason, very attractive to me. I've always meant to get around to learning it.

Within

Permabanned
Latin, Icelandic, French, Farsi, Japanese, English, Hebrew and the Black Speech of course.

Ingrid in grids

French, which, other than English, is the only language I know well. It's fun to speak too.

Persian sounds beautiful to me. I'm learning bits of it from my friends (but mostly swear words for their amusement).

Swedish

Korean & Japanese... in that order.

Roheline

MBTI Type
INfP
Quenya!

If we're talking actual existing languages, I second the OP with Finnish. I'm also pretty fond of most of Estonian, though there are some words that are so bizarre sounding that they lose their aesthetic appeal for me.

I've also found Arabic to be surprisingly lovely sounding, and the range of beautifully intricate meanings you can express is incredible to me. I do think it's similar to German (and maybe any language?) in that if you listen to angry people speaking loudly, it will sound harsh and ugly. Listen to women singing in Arabic, though, and it's gorgeous!

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGFnBXj0PbM

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think I enjoy Latin, Italian, sometimes English, maybe some Scandinavian languages (don't get to hear them very often), maybe Russian. Other languages which might interest me I don't know enough. Oh yeah and of course my mother tongue German which gets little appreciation usually.

Don't really like French and Spanish I think. Oh yeah and "Denglisch" which is so common nowadays here (mixing English words randomly and for no reason into German sentences; it is fine when you use professional jargon or there is no common German equivalent, but it happens often also for no apparent reason).

I've perfected Denglisch:
"My english makes me nobody after !" :D

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
English has a lot of ugly words, but I like the language itself. I like the way it evolved; it's a language mutt. I like the way its continuing evolution diversifies to become ever more precise and descriptive. I like long complicated words. But I'm not fluent in any other languages. Scandinavian/Germanic languages sometimes seem harsh, but there's something I like about them. They have a sense of power. I like the sound of Spanish. And Japanese is really nice. I love the way Japanese looks written. It's the prettiest. It's terrible to learn though. French can be pretty, but a lot of the time I think it just sounds silly. And the spelling doesn't make sense. Gaelic sounds nice, but I think it would be even worse to learn. The spelling doesn't make any sense at all.

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
French, Lithuanian, Finnish.

I like the sound of Italian sometimes, but it really annoys me other times, for whatever reason.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Probably Russian and Brazilian Portuguese, because of their wide variety of consonant phonemes (34-36) which make them sound rich, especially compared to rather monotonous languages like English and French.

I also enjoy the way classic, "educated" Arab sounds (especially with a soft accent; in comparison, modern Hebrew is a disaster!), but unfortunately, like every semitic language its vocabulary and different meanings are quite poor and blurry despite all the religious propaganda you may hear about it -blame the triliteral roots!-.

G

Ginkgo

Spanish and Japanese. Speaking either comes out as crisp, precise, and simple in terms of syntax and grammar. German holds some of these qualities but seems a bit more muddled. Less muddled than English, at least.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
French, Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, German

Yes. My last boyfriend spoke both German (fluently) and Spanish (pretty well). It definitely added to his appeal. ;) He sometimes switched from English to German when he was angry and I just kept thinking to myself "is it wrong if I enjoy this lol"

French and Portuguese are also very nice, but I haven't heard much Dutch. :(

sorenx7

Yes. My last boyfriend spoke both German (fluently) and Spanish (pretty well). It definitely added to his appeal. ;) He sometimes switched from English to German when he was angry and I just kept thinking to myself "is it wrong if I enjoy this lol"

French and Portuguese are also very nice, but I haven't heard much Dutch. :(

I find Portuguese to be very pleasant. It's the equal of French and the nasalized sounds are different, of course, but still beautiful in both languages. Spanish has more phonetic simplicity, but also is a language of great beauty. With German it depends on which accent for me. I prefer the German spoken in central Germany. My reasons for liking Dutch are so varied and complex that it would be difficult to fully explain in a post.

W

WALMART

American English is the perfect language. I hope to be away so long that I can some day romanticize its qualities.