User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I think I enjoy Latin, Italian, sometimes English, maybe some Scandinavian languages (don't get to hear them very often), maybe Russian. Other languages which might interest me I don't know enough. Oh yeah and of course my mother tongue German which gets little appreciation usually.

Don't really like French and Spanish I think. Oh yeah and "Denglisch" which is so common nowadays here (mixing English words randomly and for no reason into German sentences; it is fine when you use professional jargon or there is no common German equivalent, but it happens often also for no apparent reason).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhart View Post
    maybe some Scandinavian languages
    Which ones? I think Norwegian is cool, but Danish sounds really bad...

I think German sounds pretty good in a conference or speech, but not much when lots of people are speaking together (say in a Wirtshaus or w/e)
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Yeah Norwegian is probably also my favorite, but that one I have heard being spoken only very rarely. I wrote Scandinavian because sometimes when I hear it I don't really know which of the languages it really is

I have been to Denmark a few times but it somehow rarely ends up in hearing them talking. That most of the people there spoke German to us didn't help

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

German is, for whatever reason, very attractive to me. I've always meant to get around to learning it.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Banned

Latin, Icelandic, French, Farsi, Japanese, English, Hebrew and the Black Speech of course.

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

French, which, other than English, is the only language I know well. It's fun to speak too.

Persian sounds beautiful to me. I'm learning bits of it from my friends (but mostly swear words for their amusement).

Swedish

Korean & Japanese... in that order.

MBTI
    INfP

Quenya!

If we're talking actual existing languages, I second the OP with Finnish. I'm also pretty fond of most of Estonian, though there are some words that are so bizarre sounding that they lose their aesthetic appeal for me.

I've also found Arabic to be surprisingly lovely sounding, and the range of beautifully intricate meanings you can express is incredible to me. I do think it's similar to German (and maybe any language?) in that if you listen to angry people speaking loudly, it will sound harsh and ugly. Listen to women singing in Arabic, though, and it's gorgeous!

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGFnBXj0PbM

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Portuguese + French + Swedish

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhart View Post
    I think I enjoy Latin, Italian, sometimes English, maybe some Scandinavian languages (don't get to hear them very often), maybe Russian. Other languages which might interest me I don't know enough. Oh yeah and of course my mother tongue German which gets little appreciation usually.

Don't really like French and Spanish I think. Oh yeah and "Denglisch" which is so common nowadays here (mixing English words randomly and for no reason into German sentences; it is fine when you use professional jargon or there is no common German equivalent, but it happens often also for no apparent reason).
    I've perfected Denglisch:
    "My english makes me nobody after !"
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

English has a lot of ugly words, but I like the language itself. I like the way it evolved; it's a language mutt. I like the way its continuing evolution diversifies to become ever more precise and descriptive. I like long complicated words. But I'm not fluent in any other languages. Scandinavian/Germanic languages sometimes seem harsh, but there's something I like about them. They have a sense of power. I like the sound of Spanish. And Japanese is really nice. I love the way Japanese looks written. It's the prettiest. It's terrible to learn though. French can be pretty, but a lot of the time I think it just sounds silly. And the spelling doesn't make sense. Gaelic sounds nice, but I think it would be even worse to learn. The spelling doesn't make any sense at all.