• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which language(s) appeal(s) the most to you phonetically?

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
English in certain accents would completely bother me, I hate to say. Say if I met someone who spoke English with a very heavy French accent loudly. I wouldn't be able to cope!

English spoken with a soft British or Irish accent is wonderful. It connotes to me a certain reserve or restraint.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hebrew is amazing to me. I love the way it flows off the tongue and those awesome gutturals make things interesting. It's also pretty easy to pronounce compared with a lot of languages.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Hebrew sounds like you're summoning a demon.

Anyway, back to the OP: Norwegian. (Doesn't seem that hard to learn, either.)

Hate French, hate Spanish (maybe because the majority of people in the US speak it as a first language and I get tired of hearing it), but Italian's not bad.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
French. They speak a lot less louder and softer than germans. Its pretty relaxing.
English. You can say a damn lot there, with only a few words. The metaphorical character of the english language is Ne paradise. Plus it just sounds cool. :)

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
French. They speak a lot less louder and softer than germans. Its pretty relaxing.
English. You can say a damn lot there, with only a few words. The metaphorical character of the english language is Ne paradise. Plus it just sounds cool. :)

applies to both: Try not leaving a tip. you'll see if they're a soft spoken people then.

boondocked

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love the way Scottish Gaelic sounds, but weirdly not Irish Gaelic or Welsh. Problematic, because as far as Celtic languages go, it's much easier to find Irish Gaelic and Welsh materials (and native speakers to practice with). Ulp.

G

Glycerine

I like the sound of Italian.

Korean sounds really whiny and effeminate to me (even when guys speak it).
German sounds really masculine and harsh to me.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Portugese and Italian are beautiful to me.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I like the way English sounds. It's very strange to listen to when I actually try and hear the words rather than understand them.

I also like German and Japanese. I like the way Argentinians sound when they speak Spanish. Listening to my Somali and Korean friends speak to their families is really cool, too.

Last edited:

Phil P

MBTI Type
INTP
The problem I have with Spanish is that if you are not listening closely (I'm speaking as a person with English as a first language), all you hear is e,d,b,a,t. It sounds like rapid fire. But maybe its different if you are used to Spanish

As for English, the best accent is definitely Midwestern, specifically Minnesotan.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
honestly I am shocked by how many people said German, lol.

Its popularity comes as a pleasant surprise!

Any language where words sound mushed together/slurred is unappealing to me. It just has this gross, sloppy quality.
I hear that. It's probably why I dislike Portuguese.

[washes hands]

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hungarian
German
Dutch

iffy about French and Brazilian Portuguese

I dislike:
Spanish

these are the only languages I'm familiar enough with (not that I'm remotely fluent in any of them) to have an opinion.

my favorite English accent is that of the Southern US (Tennessee and Mississippi, specifically)

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
English because I understand it

Not understanding is actually very unappealing to me. I want to know

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am very compelled by the sound of Japanese for some reason. I think it flows better with my particular voice than English does.

And while not another language in itself, I prefer some of the phonology of Brit English.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Spanish, only because it's practical to learn here in 'merica.