User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 22

  1. #1
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default How important are networks to you?

    I recently found how valuable networks are. Whether it is from friends, a common job, a person that owns a business, a professor, or in high education places like UC Berkeley/UCLA, you'd want them because those network may help you towards your endeavors faster than a degree or good work ethics can. This is especially true when both parties see that there is some mutual benefits in the process (maybe you'll be their future place to go to when you climb up.)

    The only networks that aren't beneficial are the ones that you may seemingly think will not benefit you in the long run (the person is detrimental to your job career[maybe is a bad person]) Other than that, there can be little harm done when you network correctly.

    I think, in a few years, I may be in a higher position than I'll be currently (still considering myself as a student.) The trick is to not be your introverted self.

  2. #2
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    A und O
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  3. #3
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    I think the real trick is having SO as one of your instincts. I am so clueless when it comes to these things. It just doesn't even register on my radar that this is important... and even if I brain know that it's important... I don't have any idea of how to accomplish such things as an actual goal.

  4. #4
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    I kind of hate networking, but it is very very useful. You learn that a lot in sale with getting referrals. You try to get 10 referrals per contact so you always have a flood of options available to you.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  5. #5
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    @entropie, I am assuming you mean Alpha and Omega? Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I think the real trick is having SO as one of your instincts. I am so clueless when it comes to these things. It just doesn't even register on my radar that this is important... and even if I brain know that it's important... I don't have any idea of how to accomplish such things as an actual goal.
    Simple, that would be people (or a group of contacts that has other contacts.)

    A network would be a goal within a goal.

    If you were to start a business. A network is a good way to broaden your business fairly rapidly. I think business majors (or business people) instinctively know or learn this because a business without a network won't grow beyond a small shop. I'm not a business major, but I know people who are who makes frequent contacts with people and who also start up lots of ideas in my college. I'd be sure to contact him because I'd never know if I need him in the future or not.

    However, a network does not just benefit business majors, it benefits all majors and people who don't even have a college degree, let alone a business degree.
    An art major selling his/her work will benefit quickly by making contacts with many galleries. If that same person has interned in one of those galleries, he/she may very easily be able to get his/her piece up in the gallery. Maybe not as easily as a major artist (like this guy) but you have a bigger chance than someone who hasn't made those networks. It is big if you can even get one of your artwork in a small part of the gallery.

    A doctoral degree will benefit from interning at a medical clinic, hospital, or under doctor. These future contacts make it easier for this person to get a job straight out of college. Some of these contacts may even refer you to other regions of the U.S. if you wanted to work at another place. Since they have referred you to someone they know, you are more likely to get a job than someone else from that person.

    Etc.

  6. #6
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    @entropie, I am assuming you mean Alpha and Omega? Correct?
    Yes, its derived from alpha and omega. When you say in german that something is the A and O it means "everything you need / everything that is important".
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  7. #7
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    If the world were strictly a meritocracy, it wouldn't be necessary to network. As it is, however, networks can be valuable.

    Once one has a few lucrative lines/contacts, though, it's often best to concentrate on them. Doing good work along those lines becomes a way to reinforce those lines.

    But every once in a while, the network ought to be expanded to increase the number of opportunities for reliable/lucrative contacts. I've seen many contracts fail to sustain themselves long-term, perhaps because the customer runs out of money or the program is otherwise no longer supported. When that happens, the agency's screwed and winds up having to scramble for more work. So, it's best to look ahead a bit and see when our map of nodes will have to be expanded.

    That goal has to be kept in mind, however; networking becomes a pain in the ass and is no longer value-added when we seek too much breadth, spread ourselves ourselves thin, and wind up chasing networking for its own sake.
    Last edited by garbage; 12-29-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: reorganized :|

  8. #8
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    If the world were strictly a meritocracy, it wouldn't be necessary to network.
    Hitler once said in one of his speeches that the Jews meritted their destinies... how'ld you measure merit ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  9. #9
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Hitler once said in one of his speeches that the Jews meritted their destinies... how'ld you measure merit ?
    Godwin

    I'm leaving it to be very, very open-ended here. But I'm using 'merit' only to separate 'doing work and reap benefits from it' from 'gathering opportunities to do that work.' The latter is a prerequisite to the former, and it must be recognized as part of business in general.

    That is--in reality, it is valuable to network (and otherwise gather opportunities)--and it is technically work in and of itself--because it's part of how we function.

    That is--many an inventor and researcher laments the fact that they have to 'sell' their good ideas--that they have to find a target audience. C'est la vie; it turns out that we have to adjust our skillsets and/or organize our resources accordingly.


  10. #10
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Godwin

    I'm leaving it to be very, very open-ended here. But I'm using 'merit' only to separate 'doing work and reap benefits from it' from 'gathering opportunities to do that work.' The latter is a prerequisite to the former, and it must be recognized as part of business in general.

    That is--in reality, it is valuable to network (and otherwise gather opportunities)--and it is technically work in and of itself--because it's part of how we function.

    That is--many an inventor and researcher laments the fact that they have to 'sell' their good ideas--that they have to find a target audience. C'est la vie; it turns out that we have to adjust our skillsets and/or organize our resources accordingly.

    Oh man... bulletball, dunno if I should feel sorry for that guy or laugh my ass off . But that game is never gonna win.

    I understand what you say and I hadnt too so much in mind to start a debate about merit. When you said that I was reminded of that 'elite school' kind of thing. And it remembered me of a thing I learned as a child. The big societies, clubs or gatherings of people who make up those elites are basically networks you have to be connected to. I could imagine having someone who graduated from Harvard in your family automatically raises you chance too to get an opportunity for graduation there. And thats basically what networking is, it is the rich mans game and always has been. You have a network of rich and influential people who hold their shit together and dont let anybody in. The dream of being an inventor, a rockstar or whatever is actually the poor mans dream. Those things have changed today but not so much. You see people in influential positions and wonder what they did do to get their. Wonder how many A++ they wrote in tests. Well they did noone of that, they just knew the right people.

    When the op spoke of networking I tho had something completly different in mind. Its more the kind of thing that when you for example meet a person in business or somewhere you get along with, you try to keep in touch with them. So you maybe change numbers and call them a few weeks later to go over for a beer. Its a very relational life cause much of your freetime you devote to caring for your networks. That way you gravely expand your information circle, cause you know many people who tell you a lot of intresting things. Its very valuable, strategically and can be fun if you like that lifestyle.

    I always wanted to be like that but then I suffered from strong acne for 10 years and turned into a computer geek in that time. Nowadays I have recovered a bit but I am still more comfortable in front of my PC than in public in a bar. Therefore I can understand the pros and challenges to networking.

    Bottom line is and I think that is what is important, neither as a geek nor as a networker alone you'll be completly happy in life. As with all things one should try everything out and learn a bit about the things he or she doesnt know. Thats the only way to enlightenment. Amen
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Similar Threads

  1. How important is it to you to feel important?
    By Freesia in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-16-2014, 09:52 PM
  2. [INTP] How did you find friends that are similar to you?
    By mysavior in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-23-2008, 01:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO