User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

So important right now. Thankfully I've got a few referrals at the moment should I need them, but it's difficult trying to get them.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I've actually used networking less than one would assume considering that I worked sales for several years (and was pretty damned good at my job according to the rankings )... I'm terrible at remembering faces and have a tendency to be rather "out of sight, out of mind" in many cases which doesn't help...

however, I'm pretty damned charming and disarming in person when I want to be... it generally takes me less than 3 minutes to make almost ANYONE laugh and smile and feel comfortable with me- this has led me to assume, whether truly or falsely, that I can do, by showing up in person, what other people do through networking- this may just be arrogance speaking, but I have a pretty good track record

I do have the luck (in most cases) that other people remember ME if they've met me before, which has led, in the past, to people calling me and asking for me to sell them things because I helped their friend out- voila... about half of my work was done without me really having to put in any effort
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

More important that I would have previously thought. I didn't actively pursue but I've had several family members to set me up with contacts on this side of the country.

@entropie @bologna

It can mean both ways. Both networking as in being able to get into those clubs or societies, or just knowing someone and befriending them. Both ways give a benefit to the person because both give you opportunity. That opportunity is knowing someone (anyone) who may be able to help you in the long run. The more they are related to the field you are getting to, the better. But you do get benefits if they aren't related to your field.

I may not have the luxury of family members graduating from Harvard or Berkeley, but that doesn't mean I can't go Greek, meet someone from my local chapter that knows someone prominent in Harvard and make a connection that way (the chances of that is slim though.)

Of course, that person that has gone to more prestigious colleges like Harvard or Berkeley definitely has advantages, but for me it all comes down to location, location, and location.

But luck does play a role.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

not at all. objectively I see how useful they can be, but kissing ass makes me feel dirty and I really don't like or feel comfortable with that kind of interaction. luckily I people close to me use their connections to help me out sometimes so I don't have to participate in it as much.

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    not at all. objectively I see how useful they can be, but kissing ass makes me feel dirty and I really don't like or feel comfortable with that kind of interaction. luckily I people close to me use their connections to help me out sometimes so I don't have to participate in it as much.
    I don't see it as kissing ass, especially if both parties get a mutual benefit of some kind.

Example?

Because I was helping a friend out, I was able to get dental work that would of cost upwards of 1.2k for only $500. Not only that, because the person decided to infer me to someone who was willing to do such work for me, I've found a good group of people that I would consider to do dental work on me. That is, once I stop becoming a poor college student, they'd more than likely become my de facto dental workers. So

I help a friend
    Friend helps me
    Dentist gives me a huge discount
    Dentist gets a new customer.

In another case, for the fact that I decided to ask a professor for any internships he knows of, I am able to get job experience (one in which he is able to contact me in the future for any help if he wants.)

Professor helps with internship
    Internee gets free work
    I get free job experience.
    Professor gets future reference.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I get it, I just still am not concerned with how someone can benefit me, I care if I like them or they're interesting to me. if they can help me out in some way it's a nice bonus, but I don't want to be used by other people in that way so I avoid doing it to others. that being said I still do it sometimes. it's not my natural state though. /so-last rant

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Ugh. I wish I were better at this, but it does not come naturally to me. Like @chana, I really just don't think in those terms... it always feels awkward and staged. Fortunately I have FJ friends and so I usually end up having others network me!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I am really not bad at networking, because I'm pretty extroverted and I see what the benefits are...but I can't really do it with boring people. They need to be interesting / engaging, otherwise I won't even try. Generally, I like networks that develop themselves naturally, not purposefully.

I may not have the luxury of family members graduating from Harvard or Berkeley, but that doesn't mean I can't go Greek, meet someone from my local chapter that knows someone prominent in Harvard and make a connection that way (the chances of that is slim though.)
    I know a number of people at Harvard, but uhm, what do you really expect the benefits to be? They're usually pretty busy and competition for their attention is extremely high, so either you are super interesting and smart and successful already, or having a connection "up there" is only marginally useful. In my experience, horizontal connections are much better (or perhaps slightly diagonal, where both of you are more "advanced" in a spefic theme/setting), since you both have clear benefits from cooperation.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

I have the distinction of not making much use of anyone I've ever met. I've tried a few times though. Just doesn't go anywhere.