• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychology Degree

G

Glycerine

So I finished my BA degree in psychology with a minor in philosophy (I know... I still pulled off an overall 3.7 in philosophy even though I am pretty oblivious... :shock:) and am realizing that I do not want to pursue an advanced degree in the field. Is there anything viable that one can do w/ a BA in psychology or I should pursue a second degree?

metalmommy

so ready
I got into HR with a psych degree, so if that interests you, that's viable. I still plan to get either a masters in HR or an MBA at some point, but I've got little kids who's lives I don't want to miss because of school...and the little detail of paying tuition. :dry:

G

Glycerine

I got into HR with a psych degree, so if that interests you, that's viable. I still plan to get either a masters in HR or an MBA at some point, but I've got little kids who's lives I don't want to miss because of school...and the little detail of paying tuition. :dry:

Ahh I dismissed that option for a long time but I have recently become more open to it. My concern is how detailed does one have to be to be competent in that line of work? Is there a ton of paperwork involved and such?

metalmommy

so ready
Ahh I dismissed that option for a long time but I have recently become more open to it. My concern is how detailed does one have to be to be competent in that line of work? Is there a ton of paperwork involved and such?

It really depends on what kind of HR work you get into. I'm sort of a one-woman HR department where i'm at, so there is some paperwork involved, but it's not terribly onerous. Honestly, unless someone screws up (e.g. has to be written up, fired, etc.) most of the paperwork I handle is just shuffling stuff that employees have filled out and making sure that whatever action they're trying to do gets taken care of. there is a certain level of detail needed (e.g. Make sure their address gets updated everywhere, make sure their payroll items get updated correctly, etc), but again, it's manageable.

However, good communication is essential, as is documentation. If it's not documented, it didn't happen. This is important from a CYA (yours a well as the company's) perspective. My role is to serve and advocate for the employees, but protect the company and it's interests while doing so. This is where I think the MBA could come in handy.

There is a certain amount of order I have to maintain, I have to be educated on company policies, basic employment law, what benefits the company offers, etc, buy the are a lot of resources available to help with that. I basically end up being the company mommy. I tell people what they should & shouldn't be doing, providing structured discipline when needed, cheering people along when they do a good job, etc.

I also have an interest in higher level organizational study tho. I've always found industrial/organizational psych to be fascinating as well. That's a little higher level than corporate parental figure tho. That's more dealing with people as a concept or a resource. Perhaps somewhat more impersonal, but also very interesting.

G

Glycerine

Thank you for all the information! Your description kind of reminds me of "Joanie" from Mad Men. lol

That's really cool about ind/org psych. My prof was telling us about how they analyze different aspects of the group/individual dynamics and then figure out what the organization is doing wrong and how to fix it.

I was somewhat considering HR, industrial/org psych, criminal analyst/forensic psychologist, data analyst with a psychology emphasis, possibly pursuing anthropology, career counselor, clinical psychologist for a while (but I am not good dealing with people's emotional intensity and problems... I am an emotional sponge) over the last two years.

metalmommy

so ready
[MENTION=5109]Glycerine[/MENTION] no problem. I also considered a number of those things on your list. One of my earlier bouts of college was focused on criminal justice. My fantasy for a while was to do the profiler thing (long ago, before Criminal Minds/before it was cool lol), but ultimately decided I wasn't dedicated enough to do what it takes to get to the FBI level...and that I probably couldn't stomach it. I'm too sensitive. Lol

I/O psych is still very fascinating to me. I like the idea of coming in and dissecting a business from the top down. I think it would be quite interesting.

xisnotx

Permabanned
Psychology degrees aren't very rare at all, so if I were you I'd focus on marketing myself based off of other skills. Maybe get a certificate in something or the other...

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yeah pursue your mft my friends who have done that seem quite fulfilled. they all struggled with what to do with the bachelor's for a few

G

Glycerine

Hmmm thanks, I am not sure. I decided to take more math classes to see where that leads me. If nothing else, it will probably help me with the GRE and psychology grad school courses if I change my mind.