User Tag List

123 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Default How do intuitives...deal with most work?

For me, while finding work is a challenge, most jobs, no matter how menial, are at least bare-able.

But while I can perform the same tasks day in, day out, routine and slogging along. I wonder how intuitives cope with it?

From what I understand it would appear that intuitives need a challenge, or at least something to inspire them, to appeal to their sense of quick uptake and depth of comprehension.
    If we take type statistics at face value it could be so that most jobs are created and controlled by sensing types. So most day to day jobs are of the detailed orientation that sensors have a preference for.

I could easily imagine the difficulty in looking out at a world that doesn't appear to have been influenced with you and your preferences in mind. Being on the fringe, looking for something, that key something that is often unable to be communicated effectively, yet still exists.

I have a hard time picturing some of the members here putting up with the banality of my current job, even I find it monotonous, yet I do it anyhow and over time it has grown on me and become part of my daily life; just another routine familiarity.

But do intuitives ever find themselves in similar positions? I imagine it is possible through the application of self control and willpower, to bare any job going, but it just seems to me as if it would be frustrating for intuitives to look at the rather poor collection of jobs on offer for most average people.

So, as the title poses: How do you deal with work? And how do you perceive the modern job market? Although not it in terms of stability, more just what those jobs can offer you...if anything.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Mh, as with any task I need to complete because it's a necessity of some sort - I'd space out/go into mental autopilot at my previous jobs.
    I could only stand to work in one place for about a year, maybe a bit more. This was while I was in college, etc.

Ultimately what I'm doing needs to have meaning, or I start feeling dead inside. The familiarity feels like stagnation, and slowly eats away at me, in the back of my mind.

For people with particular fields of interest or things they're passionately pursuing, I guess they're the lucky few who may be able to intertwine such drives with personal income. I'm currently working my way down the pier to hop on that boat.

I can't imagine living any other way, at this point.
    For me, anything else would be going through the motions of other people's definitions of living.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Mh, as with any task I need to complete because it's a necessity of some sort - I'd space out/go into mental autopilot at my previous jobs.
    I could only stand to work in one place for about a year, maybe a bit more. This was while I was in college, etc.

Ultimately what I'm doing needs to have meaning, or I start feeling dead inside. The familiarity feels like stagnation, and slowly eats away at me, in the back of my mind.

For people with particular fields of interest or things they're passionately pursuing, I guess they're the lucky few who may be able to intertwine such drives with personal income. I'm currently working my way down the pier to hop on that boat.

I can't imagine living any other way, at this point.
    For me, anything else would be going through the motions of other people's definitions of living.
    That's interesting.

Also, concerning the bold it's something ive heard before off others identifying as intuitive types. It seems to be a kind of individuality, but tied to the intuition itself, although it depends on the function. Something akin to leaving ones own mark of passion on the world.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    That's interesting.

Also, concerning the bold it's something ive heard before off others identifying as intuitive types. It seems to be a kind of individuality, but tied to the intuition itself, although it depends on the function. Something akin to leaving ones own mark of passion on the world.
    I don't think it's necessarily an intuitive thing, exclusively. Ultimately, we're all chasing the same thing. We want fulfilling lives. We articulate this differently, is all. Just a matter of mere semantics, I think.

Personally, I don't have a particular desire to leave a mark- or even be remembered. I just want to make the most of my time, while I have it, and hopefully leave a positive impact on those I interact with along the way, & perhaps motivate them to do the same. Again, I don't think this is necessarily narrowed down by type or function. Just a matter of personal values, expression, & manner of implementation, if that makes sense.

(I realize my last sentence sort of describes cognitive function, in a way, but like I said before, functions aside, the core drives of every human tend to be the same, in the end)
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I don't think it's necessarily an intuitive thing, exclusively. Ultimately, we're all chasing the same thing. We want fulfilling lives. We articulate this differently, is all. Just a matter of mere semantics, I think.

Personally, I don't have a particular desire to leave a mark- or even be remembered. I just want to make the most of my time, while I have it, and hopefully leave a positive impact on those I interact with along the way, & perhaps motivate them to do the same. Again, I don't think this is necessarily narrowed down by type or function. Just a matter of personal values, expression, & manner of implementation, if that makes sense.

(I realize my last sentence sort of describes cognitive function, in a way, but like I said before, functions aside, the core drives of every human tend to be the same, in the end)
    Nice insight actually and a nice motive. Mine is somewhat similar, really. All about enjoying, living and seeing what is at the end with dying.

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I have been fortunate for the majority of my working life to have had challenging jobs in my preferred field. Before that, mostly while still in school, I had a string of the kind of routine jobs you describe: housecleaning, cashiering, and the boring end of library work. Yes, some of the work I could do on autopilot, while letting my thoughts roam where they would. Often, I would try to figure out more efficient ways to accomplish the assigned work, and implement them when possible. In the library job (the only one that was full-time), my boss had me show my coworkers how I had streamlined a time-consuming record-checking and data entry process to go much faster. Of course, there we entertained ourselves with lively chatter, and perusing the books among which we worked. I found the most annoying jobs were things like cashiering where I had to deal with the public. The saving grace of my "boring" jobs was that they were mostly part-time as a student, so I had plenty of academic challenge to occupy my thoughts. It would have been a different story doing any of them full-time.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Although I'm currently in a pretty good position. Doing menial jobs that offer no challenge was indeed tough on me. I got through it by keeping me over-occupied with all kinds of mental interests in my offtime. Problems arised when I tried to overlap the two though.

But it's kinda like a "drain the battery -> power the battery" struggle.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Although I'm currently in a pretty good position. Doing menial jobs that offer no challenge was indeed tough on me. I got through it by keeping me over-occupied with all kinds of mental interests in my offtime. Problems arised when I tried to overlap the two though.

But it's kinda like a "drain the battery -> power the battery" struggle.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

It's dreadful... Unless I'm the boss.

I've known from super early on I had to work for myself. Or at the very least work for people who do things as I would do them.

I get seriously pissed off and irritable if asked to do things which I know are either not as efficient or as good as I would do it...

Ha... I've developed a slight ego when it comes to my work
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

All you have to do is tell yourself that your status as 'intuitive' will reaffirm your status as a Special Little Flower, beloved by Jung and all the gods. Thank the gods you all took an MBTI test online!
    Working is so hard when you're so special.