First 234

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    My point is that EVERYONE is capable of dealing with details in the right context, so saying that you are in general not a "detail-oriented person" either means that you're lazy or you literally don't have the capacity to process details.
    NO. It means it is not your natural inclination to do so, even if you are capable when required. Just like saying "I am not a sporty person", "I am not a party person", "I am not a hiking person" etc.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    NO. It means it is not your natural inclination to do so, even if you are capable when required. Just like saying "I am not a sporty person", "I am not a party person", "I am not a hiking person" etc.
    Those are specific activities (or areas of activity.) Dealing with "details" is a general description of a mental capacity. The closer analogy would be, "I am not a 'moving my legs' person." No one would say that unless they were truly lazy and didn't like to move, or they were one of the minority of people without the ability to move their legs (generally known as debilitated.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Those are specific activities (or areas of activity.) Dealing with "details" is a general description of a mental capacity.
    Yes, and so what? Can't you have a preference towards one or the other mental capacity? I love and am very good at visualizing moving 3-d objects in my head, some others hate it and they need to really focus to do it. Maybe, however, they like dealing with details and they don't have to make an effort. Others love and find it easy to directly speak other languages, others may be much better at dealing with grammar. And so on.
    So the last part of your topic does not hold either, because "Moving your legs" would be akin to "using your brain" in our context: a brain can be used for many different purposes, and dealing with details is just one of very many.

Now, if someone were to say "I cannot deal with details", he would likely be saying "I am too lazy to deal with details". But preferences still exist, even when someone makes an effort to go beyond his comfort zone.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Routine, detail orientated tasks get easier, particularly if you are interested in what you are doing, or have some motivation to master it. If you are bored out of your skull forget it. Work to your strengths. In my industry, (which is fairly repetitive)I've become a jack of all trades. I'm good at it, and I'm a rarerity. Not because I'm a special little bunny, but because I have a natural inclination for the skill set required.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

garbage

Wow, what a clusterfuck.

I will freely admit that I am less mentally capable than some (but definitely not all) in noticing and working with details, that it's something that I continually aspire to fix (and that I work around in the meantime), that it does not make me a unique and special snowflake, and that it's gotten me into 'trouble' at times in my life. I wouldn't consider my flaw to be a gift, because I'm not delusional.

It's a very good thing to be able to see a project through from start to finish, from idea to realization, from general notion to nitty-gritty. @Jaguar once used the analogy of a zoom lens, which has stuck with me.

--

As others have said, inducing 'autopilot,' a trance/meditative-like state, or however we want to portray it is a way to work through the ritual stuff. It's also easier to focus on details in subject matter that you can enjoy (or can motivate yourself to enjoy).

We all need some degree of ritual and consistency in our lives, else we'd have no foundation to rest upon. That's not to say that one ought to just suck it up and deal with it, but perhaps that perspective can help one make it through.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

So, as the title poses: How do you deal with work? And how do you perceive the modern job market? Although not it in terms of stability, more just what those jobs can offer you...if anything.
    I worked at an incredibly mind-numbing job this summer. Didn't matter if you were S or N, if you didn't occupy yourself with something to do during the down periods, your brain would be fried.

It felt like such a waste of time, for me, critical thinking-wise. What good is my brain if I'm not gonna use it? So I decided to read more, mostly non-fiction stuff, that could really engage me. There was a book on the Nuremberg Trials in the library, and the subject itself is a page-turner. I used that to keep my mind thinking about the many great questions they faced, preferably ones with a lot of ethical implications.

What's most important to me is that I'm using my brain. Even if my job didn't offer that, and it was boring and routine and mundane, I had to find another outlet. And I did.

It's not an ideal job, but it was the only one I could get. With that in mind, I was a lot more willing to concede to the routine if it meant I had the cash. Under more preferable circumstances, my job would fulfill that need for intellectual stimulation. But whatever. Eet werked.