across the universe Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by lumi View Post
    I'm dabbling in French and Dutch with Duolingo 40 minutes a day. There's no way I'm going to become fluent this way, but right now I'm just trying to get the basics and prepare for more instruction later.
    For English speakers, this shows how many hours you're supposed to learn a specific language to become proficient: Language Difficulty Ranking | Effective Language Learning

Dutch and French are both in Category I (575 - 600 hours).

In case you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan of Beans View Post
    For English speakers, this shows how many hours you're supposed to learn a specific language to become proficient: Language Difficulty Ranking | Effective Language Learning

Wow, I speak Japanese. That is highest ranked. (*'-'*)
    Likes Olm the Water King, Kas liked this post

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Interesting link. I've always heard that French is one of the hardest Romance languages for native Anglophones, but it's nice to put that in perspective and see that a "difficult" Romance language is still easier than most of the world's languages.

I'm not surprised that Dutch is considered relatively easy; I've read it's the second most similar language to English, after Frisian. The grammar and syntax are very similar and there are cognates everywhere you look. The only tough part is the gutteral pronunciation which can be difficult to English-speakers who aren't used to making those sounds.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I've been attempting to learn French for a long time.

But frankly I am very lazy and find little time to engage with it. If I want to improve I really need to put more effort in.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Quoting my post from Random Thread:

Guys, could anyone recommend me spanish tv series? Interesting with not very difficult vocabulary and no dialects...
    Thanks @YUI . My aim is to learn Spanish again, well maybe review what I learned before (for now). I learned Spanish for 1,5 year, but now hardly remember anything.
    I would prefer series produced in Spain though. I like watching series/movies in the original language when I can and I like background (what they eat , listen to etc). I prefer not to use subtitles because my greatest problem with languages is listening. I just listen and try to understand as much as I can, sometimes replaying dialogues, repeating phrases. Also write down words I don’t understand (if they are often repeated)and look up in dictionary.

I watched this way El Internado (about two seasons) and the results were very good. At the beginning I needed to guess what they were saying then I understood most of that. Well… understanding children was difficult.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

French seems difficult. I once did about 3 lessons from the book, but when I saw how they read (linking the words and missing some letters) I gave up. And the numbers? It’s like they need to do everything in the other, original way.

Anyway I think French sounds beautiful...
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

Likes kyuuei liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Yeah it would be cool to brush up on spanish to the extent where I can become fluent at it, I can generally understand the basics of it alright, but recreating it with all the smaller steps of grammar is difficult. Tried duolingo for a while but that really doesn't translate well to practice.

Not right now. I'm reviewing my Latin and French so I can pass language exams for grad school this fall. I need to brush up on my German for a little longer because I only took one semester of it and just Reading German at that.

After that, I'm gonna have to see if it's worthwhile to continue with Arabic or pick up Greek instead and I want to work on Spanish at some point but I figure that'll be easier/quicker.
    Likes Dr Mobius liked this post

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I pick up languages best when I am in the native speaking country. I am one of those people who feels terrible visiting a place and asking everyone to speak English. I will always attempt it even if it means making lots of mistakes, I feel it makes others who I am trying to communicate with feel at ease and less like I am a British Empirelite attempting to colonise and wipe out the indigenous.

I seem to do quite well with accents however I have only attempted mainly languages on the cat 1 list (French, Spanish, Italian). German I found fairly easy at school... I also tried a little bit of Russian and Farsi but those are much more difficult due to the entirely different alphabet and writing etc. Farsi though has very few words and is a beautiful language, it is so called the singing language. I don't speak any of the languages above, but European countries have the latin in common and are quite easy for me to understand/decode. I speak conversational Spanish (used to speak French pretty well, as a child, but lost it-still remember some though).

I'd really love to learn some African Languages (especially some of the more tribal clicking languages) there are just so many and we see/hear virtually nothing of them in the west.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Wow, I speak Japanese. That is highest ranked. (*'-'*)
    So do I. But I learned it as a Chinese speaker. Kanji cheat ftw.

It's apparently really easy to learn Japanese as a Korean speaker and vice versa because the language structure/grammar is so similar.
    "How badly did you have to break it to make it care about people so much?"
    "That didn't break it. It's what made it work."

5w6 1w9 2w1, sp/so
    Likes wolfy liked this post