User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Been out of college for a year now, and unfortunately the job I got after graduation has absolutely nothing to do with the Middle East, so I haven't been super motivated to keep learning. HOWEVER, about 5 minutes ago(!!!), I networked my way into a halfway-decent chance at a Middle East Analyst position, so I'm going to start refreshing my writing and reading comprehension skills. Still have my old textbooks, and step 1 is going to be going through my Media Arabic book again.
    Oh, congratulations!

Are you required to communicate in formal Arabic or a specific dialect? Did you originally learn formal Arabic? It's a difficult language however some English words originated from Arabic so you probably recognise them.
    Night is another candle

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    Oh, congratulations!
    Thanks! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    Are you required to communicate in formal Arabic or a specific dialect? Did you originally learn formal Arabic? It's a difficult language however some English words originated from Arabic so you probably recognise them.
    It was about 98% MSA, and 2% Egyptian dialect (when I studied abroad there). So I'm good to go for any job that requires watching the news and/or reading anything. But I have no idea what's going on in Arabic pop music or comedy films/TV shows unless there are English subtitles, and I sound ridiculous when I try to talk to people. "Dost thou know the whereabouts of the nearest lavatory?"
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I am learning ASL for my new job Slowly, but steadily.

Been out of college for a year now, and unfortunately the job I got after graduation has absolutely nothing to do with the Middle East, so I haven't been super motivated to keep learning. HOWEVER, about 5 minutes ago(!!!), I networked my way into a halfway-decent chance at a Middle East Analyst position, so I'm going to start refreshing my writing and reading comprehension skills. Still have my old textbooks, and step 1 is going to be going through my Media Arabic book again.
    So neat!! My fingers are crossed for you. I am really interested in Middle Eastern culture and architecture, and tried teaching myself Arabic a long time ago. I gave up, though, lol. I think it's awesome you were able to study it seriously.

Awesome. Right now I am trying to learn a bit of Japanese because of future endeavors (I've talked about this in another thread.) I've been looking at Kanji (and words), sentence structures, and such. So far it is still at an elementary level. I enjoy it because I am watching online videos in Japanese... and I got to learn quite a bit of Japanese online culture (many of them very funny.)

Some tools that I have used (I might look for something similar in a few years to learn another language.)

Anki - It's like a flashcard for smartphones (but also available for computers.) Basically, you input as many words and phrases as you want. Depending on how many words or phrases you want to learn per day, it'll remind you to learn between 10-30 words. And, depending on how familiar you are with the word, you can say that it is easy, good, hard and it'll bring that card back to the deck later in the week. Some languages already have a whole list of words and phrases already created by others. I'd assume French, Spanish, and Japanese have a lot of Anki decks. So, if one of your first French words was "Bonjour" you'll continue seeing that word until you remember that it means "Hello" in French. then after, say 1-15 days, you'll see it reappear so that you don't forget what it means.

Media - because Japan has a big media presence, at least online, I look through nicococo, anime, video games, and documentaries in Japanese. So far, this is mostly for getting accustomed to hearing words and phrases besides just looking at them. Even though I am already accustomed to hearing the language, I am not accustomed to hearing the language for words. But when I do, I can sort of guess what one means. This is actually a great way to listen to French and Spanish.

Windows Japanese IME - great tool for typing in japanese. It makes it so that you'll start remembering the Katakana and Hiragana you type, but it also allows you to change hiragana to Kanji. head to a place that you can type rudimentary Japanese, and you'll learn a lot.

JED - it's a Japanese - English translator (and vice versa) I use it to search for Kanji through radicals to find words. When looking through material I can copy and paste, this is my go to. I can search for most kanji this way.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

It was about 98% MSA, and 2% Egyptian dialect (when I studied abroad there). So I'm good to go for any job that requires watching the news and/or reading anything. But I have no idea what's going on in Arabic pop music or comedy films/TV shows unless there are English subtitles, and I sound ridiculous when I try to talk to people. "Dost thou know the whereabouts of the nearest lavatory?"
    ROFL. They have so many soap operas and they constantly producing new ones all with the same plot line (village girl can't marry village boy). Their talk shows are also amusing, the women are heavily made up and spend more time giggling than talking.
    Night is another candle

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Thanks! Keeping my fingers crossed.

I know how to read Qur'an Arabic but I don't know how to read Standard Arabic. The missing signs and symbols just throws me off.
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I think I might teach myself Italian or Portuguese. I can understand written Spanish well enough (have trouble with the spoken form... can't keep up). Italian and Portuguese look similar.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I've already studied three, but I'd like to learn French, and I'd like to dabble in Sanskrit someday.

MBTI
    INFP

(Cross-post from another thread.)

If you buy or rent DVDs for old TV series, many are dubbed and subtitled in foreign languages.

I'm playing around with French. I have the DVDs for Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm, and they are dubbed and subtitled in French. So I watch an episode in English, then I watch it again with the French turned on. I pause the DVD, practice saying the French in the subtitle, then listen to the French in the dubbing (which isn't necessarily the same). It's great practice and easily done over dinner or while exercising. My French is improving greatly.

I think Seinfeld also has Spanish dubbing and subtitles. Plenty of other series have Spanish dubbing and subtitles; it's more common than French dubbing and subtitles.

In the US, it's mostly dubbing/subtitling in French and Spanish. Though there are some surprising variations, like Portuguese. And usually foreign-language dubbing/subtitling is provided only for the more popular shows.

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I'm dabbling in French and Dutch with Duolingo 40 minutes a day. There's no way I'm going to become fluent this way, but right now I'm just trying to get the basics and prepare for more instruction later.