User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I never really considered myself 'good' at English until my vocabulary was expanded enough that I could write a decent resume without consulting a dictionary and thesaurus every minute.
    ^ Whoa, wait. That just sunk in.

English wasn't your first language??
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I can speak 4 languages but if I have to be really honest, it feels wasted time/space in my brain. Physics is much more interesting.

The only real plus is being able to read novels in their original version, they indeed acquire much more charme.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    ^ Whoa, wait. That just sunk in.

English wasn't your first language??
    Ooops! It definitely was my first, and currently only, language I am fluent in. But I always considered myself under educated with it until I felt competent and confident in writing resumes and being able to articulate exactly what I want to say without the help of others. It amazes me how "fluent" English speakers are actually not fluent at all and often have difficulty expressing themselves in their own language.. So I made it a point to feel completely competent.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Picked up Japanese a couple of months ago. It's something I always wanted to do, and I really love the language. The trouble is to find good books though that go beyond beginner level while still affordable.

Also - if you want to count that as a foreign language (it is sort of), I'm learning Old English at the moment. It's got its very own quirky charm, and being German really helps a lot here.
    Have you tried shopping at jbox.com ? They seem to have a wide variety of textbook material, and even selling tests of the JLPT from previous years it has been held.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I always flirt with the idea of picking up Spanish. I don't think it would be that difficult, but I'm not really fluent in the other languages I've studied, so it seems silly to pick up another.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I always flirt with the idea of picking up Spanish. I don't think it would be that difficult, but I'm not really fluent in the other languages I've studied, so it seems silly to pick up another.
    I find Spanish to be slightly different in this sense because not only is the setup and accent fairly easy, but there's native Spanish speakers everywhere, so you can like eavesdrop Spanish or bounce it off your friends. Not like Chinese or Arabic or something. Or stupid French with it's dumb accent.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Swedish. I have a subscription of Finnish and Swedish semi-monthly/monthly magazines that have the exact same articles written in both of the languages. I've got basics of swedish so I think I'm able to catch on. I've also planned to read dictionarys & wiki articles of the same subjects, and glance a book on grammar once in a while.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I'm learning Arabic, and not all my reasons are good -- although some are.

1. I started taking it because, hey, what the hell, the option was there, and the summer language institute was free, so I took advantage of it.
    2. It's extremely useful, and marketable.
    3. Sticking with it made more practical sense after I transferred to my current university, from a different one, at the beginning of sophomore year.
    4. Learning how to learn a language means being able to learn others quicker, which is also marketable.
    5. It's really pretty. <3
    I know this is two years old but are you still learning it?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I'm learning a new language. I keep translating phrases directly from english, e.g "do it yourself". Stupid, very, very stupid because what's actually said is "do yourself" when the correct term in that language is "you go do it" however since I'm only learning to speak it (I'll learn to write later), these mistakes are expected. It helps having people who are fluent in that language around you.

When I finish my degree, I'm going to learn two of the three languages I had to study in high school; French and German. I've already looked into classes and I've started reading Asterix and Obelix in French, again.
    Night is another candle

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    I know this is two years old but are you still learning it?
    Been out of college for a year now, and unfortunately the job I got after graduation has absolutely nothing to do with the Middle East, so I haven't been super motivated to keep learning. HOWEVER, about 5 minutes ago(!!!), I networked my way into a halfway-decent chance at a Middle East Analyst position, so I'm going to start refreshing my writing and reading comprehension skills. Still have my old textbooks, and step 1 is going to be going through my Media Arabic book again.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I already know basic Spanish, but I want to eventually become fully fluent. I've been studying old textbooks and using busuu.com and Byki software (I don't care for Rosetta Stone), but I need to join a Spanish conversation meetup group as well.