User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Hey everyone -- What is your line for when you feel/felt fluent in a language?

For me, it's when you can apply for a job in the language.. If you can go through that whole process without needing your primary language then you're pretty good to go. I never really considered myself 'good' at English until my vocabulary was expanded enough that I could write a decent resume without consulting a dictionary and thesaurus every minute.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    God, just speak American already!
    Same to you, buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    I'm assuming the 3 and 7s are substitutes for similar-looking characters in Arabic? I've never seen that before-- cool!
    Thanks! Yeah, that was Arabic chatspeak -- because I'm too lazy to write in the actual characters, online. The 3 is sort of an "A" sound with your throat constricted, and the 7 is a hard "H".

I have a friend who's Arapaho, and apparently the Arapaho language is just the same, re: numbers. She has numbers in her middle name!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Same to you, buddy.

Thanks! Yeah, that was Arabic chatspeak -- because I'm too lazy to write in the actual characters, online. The 3 is sort of an "A" sound with your throat constricted, and the 7 is a hard "H".

I have a friend who's Arapaho, and apparently the Arapaho language is just the same, re: numbers. She has numbers in her middle name!
    LOL seriously, though, I only know wullah, yullah (yullah imshe!), alahu akbar, and a spattering of filthy phrases that I learned in school.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFJ

Slowly picking up German and Japanese.
    I picked these because I hear them well for some reason. They make sense to me I guess because I can easily discern their phonemes and morphemes.

I'm starting mostly with grammar which is a big hurdle, especially for Japanese since it's quite a bit different from English so it helps to 'think' in Japanese rather than trying to think in English and translate it.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Hey everyone -- What is your line for when you feel/felt fluent in a language?

For me, it's when you can apply for a job in the language.. If you can go through that whole process without needing your primary language then you're pretty good to go. I never really considered myself 'good' at English until my vocabulary was expanded enough that I could write a decent resume without consulting a dictionary and thesaurus every minute.
    My Colombian friend said that her teacher said she'd know she was fluent in English when she was dreaming in English through the night... She thought that was a pretty good marker for her.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm learning Spanish kind of... I have Rosetta stone and It's pretty easy. In Peru this summer I got by fairly well besides some humerus mistakes like saying "you sit now!" instead of "seat yourself." I'm definitely not fluent but the Latin based situation makes things pretty smooth.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    My Colombian friend said that her teacher said she'd know she was fluent in English when she was dreaming in English through the night... She thought that was a pretty good marker for her.
    Yeah, I've heard this too. Also when you start thinking in the language.

I knew I was really immersed in Arabic, during my study abroad program, when my English-speaking ability started getting worse.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    This would be pretty interesting.. I've 'dreamt' in other languages before, but they were made up languages not real ones.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I've studied a number of languages over the years, and found simple repetition the best way to learn as a beginner. I used flash cards extensively to develop quick recall of vocabulary, common phrases, and even points of grammar. One milestone in proficiency was when I could do normal writing without having to look things up in a dictionary (e.g. letter to overseas penpal). My speaking proficiency didn't really take off, though, until I had the chance (e.g. need) to speak the language daily.

I had an interesting experience when I was in Russia for the summer. An elderly gentleman was perusing the souvenirs in a display case in the hotel lobby. The labels were all in Russian. He asked me if I could translate them into German for him. My proficiency in German had been even better than in Russian, but after several weeks of speaking only Russian, I could barely remember how to answer his simple questions like how old I was, or what I was doing so far from home! His interest in my background distracted him from the souvenirs, though, so I was off the hook.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Picked up Japanese a couple of months ago. It's something I always wanted to do, and I really love the language. The trouble is to find good books though that go beyond beginner level while still affordable.

Also - if you want to count that as a foreign language (it is sort of), I'm learning Old English at the moment. It's got its very own quirky charm, and being German really helps a lot here.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-