User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Oh yeah, I forgot I was in the process of learning some (tentatively), thanks for reminder. Allegedly, was aiming for Polish, Hebrew, and Neapolitan (Italian if impossible).
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot I was in the process of learning some (tentatively), thanks for reminder. Allegedly, was aiming for Polish, Hebrew, and Neapolitan (Italian if impossible).
    Since when is Neapolitan a language...
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Since when is Neapolitan a language...
    Since the 15th century, it would seem
    http://www.omniglot.com/writing/neapolitan.php
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

The article uses "dialect" and "language" in an interchangeable fashion, which is...wrong, from a linguistic perspective. The only real italian "dialects" which are also a "language" on their own are Sardo and Friulano.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post

I'd love to learn gaelic. In fact, I tried when I was in high school, but I dropped it due to my lack of willpower. I think I may try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    You would have a convenient online person thinking about learning it as well *cough*@aquarelle*cough*
    Let's all learn it together! I really, really like these You Tube videos for basic Irish:

Unfortunately there is only one beginning lesson posted; after that the "filmmaker" seems to have jumped to the intermediate class.

One of the major difficulties with learning Irish is that the dialects spoken in the South, North, and West of Ireland differ drastically, and I'm convinced that no one actually speaks the (somewhat artificially) standardized dialect (Caighdeán Oifigiúil) which is taught in schools in Ireland, so one has to make sure to use learning materials from the same dialect. And to complicate things further, it's not always indicated which dialect a certain method is using (I think the video posted above uses the Western dialect, though it could be the Caighdeán).

(I did a master's program focusing on the history, politics, etc of the Irish language. )

My blog:

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    The article uses "dialect" and "language" in an interchangeable fashion, which is...wrong, from a linguistic perspective. The only real italian "dialects" which are also a "language" on their own are Sardo and Friulano.
    Well, it does state that most people would actually call it a dialect, and linguistically it's actually kind of a murky area, as officially the definition between a language and a dialect is that dialects are mutually intelligible, and languages are not. But that's a bit artificial because a lot of people would say Spanish and Italian are mutually intelligible, but they are different languages. Sometimes language is a political construct, as well. Also, some of the ancient languages that are now considered dialects are now being given language status for the sake of preservation. Evidently Neapolitan was given language status in 2008.

EDIT: Ack, why did that double post when I edited it!

My blog:

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

C#

Oh wait, you don't mean those languages.

I am learning French right now as well! I'm finding pronouncing the words is, as stereotypically is the case, difficult for me but I am enjoying it a lot. Right now I am just looking up youtube videos for free (Learning French with Vincent, he's got the most adorable voice ever), trying to watch french shows with english subtitles (Kaamelott is particularly funny, but I can only find 3 episodes so far with subtitles), and I'm reading a couple corny kids-esque books but I'm getting a lot done. (Learn French in 10 minutes a day, and a flip-book quiz.. I have no partner, so I just do both sides lol.)

My love of my life @phobik showed me livemocha.com where you can play with their software for free in exchange of helping others with their reviews for tokens to spend learning. I'm loving it so far. The iTunes audio, which are you using?

My friends are making fun of me for not trying Spanish since I live so close to Mexico.. But it's another language with a lot of pronunciation, masculine/feminine rules, etc.
    http://videoclip-online.com/video/53...The-Big-Cheese
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

One of the best episodes ever! (next to the one done by a kid) Every time the higher-ranking French soldier would try to talk to me I'd reply with this. He stopped talking to me pretty fast.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

One of the best episodes ever! (next to the one done by a kid) Every time the higher-ranking French soldier would try to talk to me I'd reply with this. He stopped talking to me pretty fast.
    Bwahaha, epic.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.