User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 122

  1. #21
    Starcrossed Seafarer Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The other day I was at the gym and listening to an audiobook and a girl who was there heard that it was an audiobook and when I went to get some water they went too and said to me was I learning a language, I was a bit abscent minded because I was thinking about the audiobook, I'd finished CS Lewis' The Four Loves and moved on to Erich Fromm's To Have or To Be? which has some ruminations on love too in it, and said yes and when she said which one I said "love". Then I realised what I'd said as my water bottle was like full and thought shit, that was so corny, but when I looked up this girl was like love struck or something looking at me with these big eyes and I thought "oh, shit" and "ok bye now" (bye, meow) and went back to cross trainer I'd left.
    This story is hilarious, you should have asked for her number . I adore listening to language programs at the gym, it's quite amusing to see the looks people give you when you are repeating random phrases in Irish while on the elliptical machine at a gym in St Paul. Sadly, the Irish YouTube videos I like don't work on my phone anymore for some reason, so I've not been able to do this for awhile.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  2. #22
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'd like to be able to speak other languages, including gaelic (Irish) which I was deprived off at school (hated the irish teacher, who was an ass and came back as a head master and tortured my brother and was probably a fascist, I'm not kidding about that, think Franco or Peron, not Hitler or Mussolini).

    The other day I was at the gym and listening to an audiobook and a girl who was there heard that it was an audiobook and when I went to get some water they went too and said to me was I learning a language, I was a bit abscent minded because I was thinking about the audiobook, I'd finished CS Lewis' The Four Loves and moved on to Erich Fromm's To Have or To Be? which has some ruminations on love too in it, and said yes and when she said which one I said "love". Then I realised what I'd said as my water bottle was like full and thought shit, that was so corny, but when I looked up this girl was like love struck or something looking at me with these big eyes and I thought "oh, shit" and "ok bye now" (bye, meow) and went back to cross trainer I'd left.
    You ladies man you!
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    This story is hilarious, you should have asked for her number . I adore listening to language programs at the gym, it's quite amusing to see the looks people give you when you are repeating random phrases in Irish while on the elliptical machine at a gym in St Paul. Sadly, the Irish YouTube videos I like don't work on my phone anymore for some reason, so I've not been able to do this for awhile.
    I dont really see the gym as the place for that, I think that there are some people who do use it as a place to hang out and meet people and chat but I dont do that, I dont even use the wee lounge style area anymore, not for reading a magazine even.

    There was an occasion on which someone with big head phones was singing something off key and didnt realise it right away but they were cool and laughed about it when they realised what they had done and that they had everyones attention.

  4. #24
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'd like to be able to speak other languages, including gaelic (Irish) which I was deprived off at school (hated the irish teacher, who was an ass and came back as a head master and tortured my brother and was probably a fascist, I'm not kidding about that, think Franco or Peron, not Hitler or Mussolini).

    The other day I was at the gym and listening to an audiobook and a girl who was there heard that it was an audiobook and when I went to get some water they went too and said to me was I learning a language, I was a bit abscent minded because I was thinking about the audiobook, I'd finished CS Lewis' The Four Loves and moved on to Erich Fromm's To Have or To Be? which has some ruminations on love too in it, and said yes and when she said which one I said "love". Then I realised what I'd said as my water bottle was like full and thought shit, that was so corny, but when I looked up this girl was like love struck or something looking at me with these big eyes and I thought "oh, shit" and "ok bye now" (bye, meow) and went back to cross trainer I'd left.
    Ha, I didn't know you were capable of cute stories.

    I'd love to learn gaelic. In fact, I tried when I was in high school, but I dropped it due to my lack of willpower. I think I may try again.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  5. #25
    your resident asshole
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Ha, I didn't know you were capable of cute stories.

    I'd love to learn gaelic. In fact, I tried when I was in high school, but I dropped it due to my lack of willpower. I think I may try again.
    They offered gaelic at your high school? That's pretty awesome. What country are you in?

    I've attempted to learn both Esperanto and Italian, but I have a horrible habit of starting projects and not following through with them.

    Does anyone know of any programs to help me review a language before I take a class in it? I'm signed up to take the second semester of Spanish 2 next semester at my university, but I am quite rusty and afraid I will do poorly in the class. Plus, it will be my first college-level language class. I almost want to take the first semester, but then I would have to take the second semester over the summer. Summer classes just sound so intimidating.

  6. #26
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    They offered gaelic at your high school? That's pretty awesome. What country are you in?

    I've attempted to learn both Esperanto and Italian, but I have a horrible habit of starting projects and not following through with them.

    Does anyone know of any programs to help me review a language before I take a class in it? I'm signed up to take the second semester of Spanish 2 next semester at my university, but I am quite rusty and afraid I will do poorly in the class. Plus, it will be my first college-level language class. I almost want to take the first semester, but then I would have to take the second semester over the summer. Summer classes just sound so intimidating.
    Ah, no, I'm from the U.S. I meant that I tried to learn it on my own using books and the internet. My school offered the usual French/Spanish/German, but since we live in a big middle eastern populated area we also had Arabic. That's what I want to learn now, after I fill the holes left from my incomplete German instruction from college.

    I honestly wouldn't be worried about your classes. I have taken language courses at two different universities now (and at varying levels), and they've been equally structured (that is to say, equally easy) at the lower levels. It wasn't until I got into upper level German that I got a native speaking instructor who only spoke at us in German and required lengthier/more complicated readings and essays, and that's really when it gets more difficult. Otherwise it's still going to be "Hallo, mein Name ist Sabine. Wie heisst du?" Shit like that even in the second year.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  7. #27
    your resident asshole
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Ah, no, I'm from the U.S. I meant that I tried to learn it on my own using books and the internet. My school offered the usual French/Spanish/German, but since we live in a big middle eastern populated area we also had Arabic. That's what I want to learn now, after I fill the holes left from my incomplete German instruction from college.
    Oh haha. My bad. When you said you "dropped it," I thought you were talking about a class. My high school only taught the standard three as well. It's neat that they taught, Arabic, though. I know some people whose high school taught Japanese and others whose high school taught Chinese. I would've liked to see something more "unique" at my school. I mean, come on...who doesn't want to learn Swahili??

    I honestly wouldn't be worried about your classes. I have taken language courses at two different universities now (and at varying levels), and they've been equally structured (that is to say, equally easy) at the lower levels. It wasn't until I got into upper level German that I got a native speaking instructor who only spoke at us in German and required lengthier/more complicated readings and essays, and that's really when it gets more difficult. Otherwise it's still going to be "Hallo, mein Name ist Sabine. Wie heisst du?" Shit like that even in the second year.
    Well, my instructor is going to be a native Spanish speaker, but what you say is somewhat comforting. I can only hope it will be as doable as you say.

    Do you have any tips on how I can brush up on my Spanish, though? Any websites, software, videos, etc?

  8. #28
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Do you have any tips on how I can brush up on my Spanish, though? Any websites, software, videos, etc?
    Well, like I mentioned earlier, I like the Pimsleur program. It's good, especially if you prefer a more auditory learning style. It helps me A LOT with memorization. Yeah, you have to pay for it, but there are, you know, ways and means to get it otherwise.

    I use it in conjunction with flashcard systems like Anki for vocab building and I usually buy a solid grammar reference book. I've not tried to learn Spanish, so I can't recommend any specifically, but those are usually pretty easy to find cheap.

    Or you could just buy your textbook/workbook/other books early. If you don't know what it's going to be, email the prof and ask so that you can get a head start.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  9. #29
    your resident asshole
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Well, like I mentioned earlier, I like the Pimsleur program. It's good, especially if you prefer a more auditory learning style. It helps me A LOT with memorization. Yeah, you have to pay for it, but there are, you know, ways and means to get it otherwise.

    I use it in conjunction with flashcard systems like Anki for vocab building and I usually buy a solid grammar reference book. I've not tried to learn Spanish, so I can't recommend any specifically, but those are usually pretty easy to find cheap.

    Or you could just buy your textbook/workbook/other books early. If you don't know what it's going to be, email the prof and ask so that you can get a head start.
    Thanks a ton for the tips.

  10. #30
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I'd love to learn gaelic. In fact, I tried when I was in high school, but I dropped it due to my lack of willpower. I think I may try again.
    You would have a convenient online person thinking about learning it as well *cough*@aquarelle*cough*

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Summer classes just sound so intimidating.
    I ended up liking them better.. More frequent classes, and more face-time meant, honestly, no more rapid of a pace than high school, but I found it very beneficial for things that require a lot of rehearsal like math and chemistry. I could see that being beneficial in immersing yourself into a language study. Mini-mesters and summer semesters are what I look forward to, I wish I could set up the year like them. But, different strokes, and all that.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Similar Threads

  1. What Type of Villain are you test, a new one...
    By Gentleman Jack in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-07-2017, 11:41 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-30-2015, 09:51 AM
  3. what are you eating for new years eve?
    By prplchknz in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-01-2012, 02:55 PM
  4. [INFJ] INFJ: Are you afraid to try new things in public?
    By Misty_Mountain_Rose in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-08-2010, 02:23 PM
  5. You learn something new everyday!
    By pippi in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 11:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO