User Tag List

First 210111213 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Woaden View Post
    Eine sehr gute Idee. Machen einen, bitte!
    For heaven's sake, man, I am an INTP - we brainstorm and analyze, but we don't actually DO things!!!
    However, I'll make an exception today.

Here you go: Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsmütze nstricker - the German support group

Damn it, the forum software keeps splitting that into two words but it's actually one. That ruined my thread title!!!!!!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp
    Socionics
    ILI None

I took a course in French a few semesters ago. Although I passed the class, I left not knowing much. It was a mixture of bad teaching and getting behind early on and not having the energy to catch up. I went to the bookstore last week to pick up a few 'French for beginners' textbooks, so we'll see if I'm successful this time. I've seen some beautiful French films that I loused up with English subtitles and I eventually want to travel and maybe live in France for a bit so it's important that I learn at some point.

I would also like to learn Portuguese, especially when written.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Pro tip: Don't.
    Please tell me this accent stuff will eventually make sense.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I've been trying to develop a system of exposure to French that makes it more frequent in my daily life.. I picked up this 10 minutes of french a day book and while I don't quite like the layout of it, I DO like the stickers it comes with! You can stick them right on shit and look at them constantly as you use them--kitchen, fridge, phone, etc. Get you used to the basics of general exposure of the written words and what they correspond with...

I need to start watching french tv/shows more often though those are pretty hard to find for me it seems outside of some pretentious TV on netflix and my Kaamelott DVDs I covet so much. Finding time to watch any shows is hard though, so I found this website and I'm going to download some podcasts to listen to on my way to work! 10 Awesome French Podcasts for French Learners

For writing, I'm going to try writing a couple sentences in french to my best friend everyday to try practicing that. And for speaking, I'm going to start trying to speak to my boyfriend in french more, and speak to my best friend in french more, as I gain exposure to more and more. I can read an easy book page every other day or so, that's not that bad.

I have plenty of work books as well, and I need to just pull one out and poke through it a bit.

I was swamped all last year with school, and now with my orientation.. but I'm soon coming off of that orientation and moving to just working my 3 days a week. When that happens, and I get more in a groove, I think I'll finally have some time to really breathe and be good to go on my personal time. Which means making good on my resolution, even if that is 9 months into the year.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Please tell me this accent stuff will eventually make sense.
    Ha! After I got my Ancient Greek certificate, I forgot almost all of the grammar stuff, but your post made me have a look at my grammar because it was never really explained to us during class. (By the way, do you have to translate into Greek as well, or put accents yourself? We were told that you only had to do it if you studied Ancient Greek, so it had always retained some of its mystical aura to me.)

The way I understand it from my grammar, it's like this:

Every word has an accent.
    Every phrase has a (main) accent.
    The accent of the phrase is either an acute or circumflex. Acutes other than the main accent of the phrase turn into grave (unless there is an acute on the first syllable of the phrase); circumflexes remain the same (?).

I'm not at all sure about this though, but I hope it helps. Greek is still pretty Greek to me :/
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-
    Likes senza tema liked this post

MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yeah, turkish, I use the duolingo app.
    I usually learn the alphabet first, basic phrases, and start watching movies in the own language's subtitles.
    This is the fastest/fun way so far.
    Imagine this is the best thing you've ever read.
    Likes Xann, berenj liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP

Sorta, yeah ... I let things trickle into my cranium, what is meant to stay will stay, and what is meant to go will be forgotten, mostly, until sitting on the toilet at 3am and bam 'arigato' ... that's when I wish I had that waitress at the Japanese restaurants number just so I could be like "BAM -- arigato" text message sent! Brain like a steel trap, bitches!! lmao
    "My comrades and my beloved, upon your way you shall meet men with hoofs; give them your wings. And men with horns; give them wreaths of laurel. And men with claws; give them petals for fingers. And men with forked tongues; give them honey words." --Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Ha! After I got my Ancient Greek certificate, I forgot almost all of the grammar stuff, but your post made me have a look at my grammar because it was never really explained to us during class. (By the way, do you have to translate into Greek as well, or put accents yourself? We were told that you only had to do it if you studied Ancient Greek, so it had always retained some of its mystical aura to me.)

The way I understand it from my grammar, it's like this:

Every word has an accent.
    Every phrase has a (main) accent.
    The accent of the phrase is either an acute or circumflex. Acutes other than the main accent of the phrase turn into grave (unless there is an acute on the first syllable of the phrase); circumflexes remain the same (?).

I'm not at all sure about this though, but I hope it helps. Greek is still pretty Greek to me :/
    Yeah, we're going to be doing some elementary composition + translation into Greek in a couple of weeks. Right now, our drills and quizzes involve inserting accents and breathing.

I've had all of two classes in which we've already covered two declensions. My head is spinning. Also, there's no ablative. WTF is up with that??? I don't like this language. LATIN IS SO MUCH NICER.

Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Yes, I'm learning spiritual and intuition as new languages since years ago.

Without it, life is much more boring, shallow and insignificant.

I loose less time, I win hope, humanity, and can communicate differently with so many different people.
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM
    Likes Xann liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

Si. Estoy aprenendo Espanol. Pienso sabo muchas palabras, pero tengo hambre a aprender mas. Quiero un viajo, y voy a practicar en Puerto Rico. Las personas me hablan que San Juan es caliente. Posiblmente, un viajo a Caracas o Miami. Estos lugares cerca de.
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....