User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    Oh, I see. Conjugating can be difficult; I mostly had problems here with the masculine ones. I have never been very good at the subject/direct object thing. As for knowing how, say, die and eine are both feminine, I was able to do that. If I can find my notes (assuming I didn't throw them out) I'll post anything helpful I have written down about it.
    I also don't know what's the point of putting "nach" or "sich" in sentences.
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

Quote Originally Posted by Kas View Post

I learned German in school, but I didn’t like it so I made a great afford to not learn anything. Now I’m mad at myself...

Anyway I remember that the grammar was very logical and some words were similar to English so it was easier to learn.
    A friend who learned it for a longer period of time, says that no other language she's learned has such a logical structure.
    Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    I took 4 semesters of German in high school and did extremely well. Even went to Germany with my teacher and was able to communicate in German when needed. However even after all of that learning, I was barely at a preschool level. I remember the structure of the language well enough; however I have lost nearly all of my vocabulary from lack of use.

I do not remember if I still have any of my notes, since it's been 4 years; but I will look for them, and if I manage to find anything, would you like me to share it with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Woaden View Post
    I'm learning it right now. It's quite difficult at first because the grammar is quite different when compared to English, but once you get the hang of it, it doesn't get more difficult like English does.

I still have problems with knowing the forms of the word. I can hardly know which gender the word is.

Thanks for the info.
    I think I will try to force myself to learn at least the basics of German. Since that would probably be a major benefit to my career.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Since there seem to be quite a few people here with an interest in German, how about a thread or group for that? Also, if you have any specific questions feel free to ask - it's my native language.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes senza tema liked this post

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Since there seem to be quite a few people here with an interest in German, how about a threat or group for that? Also, if you have any specific questions feel free to ask - it's my native language.
    Eine sehr gute Idee. Machen einen, bitte!
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

I'm starting Classical Greek. Lord help me.
    Likes Red Herring liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    I'm starting Classical Greek. Lord help me.
    Pro tip: Don't.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-
    Likes senza tema, N/A, Codex liked this post

Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISFp Fi

lol maybe if I had the patience and determination. my interest to learn quickly burns out after spending hours and hours researching everything about the language, and its corresponding culture and history. I try to take in as much as possible about everything and then it overwhelms me and I end up immediately changing my focus to elsewhere. As a result, I can only remember a few words from various languages which surprise me when that information pops up out of nowhere. Like "Perkele!" being the Finnish expression for "fuck!", literal meaning "devil". Or how the Swahili word for moon is Mwezi, which is actually a word included in one of my email addresses. Also I often use "Dökkálfr", the Icelandic word for Dark Elf, in many of my usernames, just because it sounds so... Nordic and sexy. Things like the Cyrillic alphabet, however, have been long lost from my memory.

edit: now I kinda wanna return to my learning of Icelandic... or Old Norse, since they are essentially the same language and I already have two books for learning Old Norse.
    And also Futhark is so magical:

Si. Un pocito. Claro.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Picking up on bits of spanish here and there.

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    297 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Took Spanish through high school and also in my undergrad, but unfortunately, I let my progress die once I gradated. I was able to practice it while studying abroad which was really cool and put the language in context for me. Nowadays, I can still understand enough in conversation or on TV to get the general idea of what's being said, and I can more or less read Spanish, but my speaking ability is basically limited to short sentences and not straying too far from the present tense

I've always had an interest in French though since I love how the language sounds. Even in high school, I had an interest in French, but went the Spanish route for its utility (grew up in the Bay Area). So these days, I'm teaching myself French here and there and watch the news in French on: Infos,' 'news' '&' 'actualités'  '-' 'L'''information' 'internationale'&# 32;'en' 'direct' '-' 'France' '24 often just to help nail down the pronunciation and get a feel for the flow of the language.

My goal is to be able to fluently speak Spanish and French some day, but I'm going to try out French for now. I'm hoping that my interest for it, rather than for utility, will help keep me motivated in learning it.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt