User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Did anyone here tried to learn German ? How did that go ?

I use Pimsleur quite a bit. I'm not learning a new language, but am just trying to maintain my knowledge of French and Spanish. It's a really good tool to use in the car instead of listening to radio nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by allosaurus View Post
    I use Pimsleur quite a bit. I'm not learning a new language, but am just trying to maintain my knowledge of French and Spanish. It's a really good tool to use in the car instead of listening to radio nonsense.
    These are audio lessons or something more than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    I learned German in school, but I didn’t like it so I made a great afford to not learn anything. Now I’m mad at myself...

Anyway I remember that the grammar was very logical and some words were similar to English so it was easier to learn.
    A friend who learned it for a longer period of time, says that no other language she's learned has such a logical structure.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kas View Post
    These are audio lessons or something more than that?
    Yeah, focused on carrying conversations (as opposed to memorizing words and verb conjugations). They're quite good at helping you become conversational but I've had to use books for grammar lessons.
    Likes Kas, windoverlake liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    If you're learning one right now discuss it. Techniques, and tools you're using to get started with, etc? Are you enjoying it? And why did you want to learn that particular language?
    I need as much immersion as possible. Audio CDs, language books (kids books are great), I'll watch films, search for soap operas (Spanish telenovelas were really helpful for learning Spanish), TV programs (accessible drama/comedy, not CSPAN-type stuff), and if I can find them, youtube channels of vloggers who I find watchable. If I'm really serious I'll get a language tutor so I can chat with them in the language. I prefer idiomatic and conversational styles in general (I want to blend in vs. just ordering something or asking directions), and contextual information is extremely important to me; grammar is not a first concern for me unless I'm interested in translating materials or writing serious stuff in the language, but at a certain point, once I'm past the 'first impressions' phase, I will delve into grammar structures and so forth. I think I'm kinesthetic when it comes to learning a language, so I need to be using it constantly. For me, learning a language is very much like learning to hear a different kind of music. If I can't get a firm hold of intonation, it's as though I don't learn.

If I had to pick one tool for learning a new language it would be a stack of really excellent films or a TV series. I'll watch it a bunch of times with subtitles, then later without.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

I took 4 semesters of German in high school and did extremely well. Even went to Germany with my teacher and was able to communicate in German when needed. However even after all of that learning, I was barely at a preschool level. I remember the structure of the language well enough; however I have lost nearly all of my vocabulary from lack of use.

I do not remember if I still have any of my notes, since it's been 4 years; but I will look for them, and if I manage to find anything, would you like me to share it with you?
    Last edited by yama; 09-19-2015 at 02:37 AM. Reason: typo
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

not a type description

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm learning it right now. It's quite difficult at first because the grammar is quite different when compared to English, but once you get the hang of it, it doesn't get more difficult like English does.

I still have problems with knowing the forms of the word. I can hardly know which gender the word is.
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Woaden View Post
    I'm learning it right now. It's quite difficult at first because the grammar is quite different when compared to English, but once you get the hang of it, it doesn't get more difficult like English does.

I still have problems with knowing the forms of the word. I can hardly know which gender the word is.
    In my class whenever we learned a word, we'd learn it with the gender. Like "das Buch" instead of learning "Buch" and trying to figure out what gender it is.
    Johari | Nohari

not a type description

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    In my class whenever we learned a word, we'd learn it with the gender. Like "das Buch" instead of learning "Buch" and trying to figure out what gender it is.
    I learn that way. The problem comes when applying to sentences like "Das ist mein Buch", where I don't know if it's meinem/meine/mein. Or "kein Problem" vs "keine Sorge".

I cannot remember the rules and gender of the said word, or most words for that matter.
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Woaden View Post
    I learn that way. The problem comes when applying to sentences like "Das ist mein Buch", where I don't know if it's meinem/meine/mein. I cannot remember the rules and gender of the said word, or most words for that matter.
    Oh, I see. Conjugating can be difficult; I mostly had problems here with the masculine ones. I have never been very good at the subject/direct object thing. As for knowing how, say, die and eine are both feminine, I was able to do that. If I can find my notes (assuming I didn't throw them out) I'll post anything helpful I have written down about it.
    Johari | Nohari

not a type description