• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Describe your workplace

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm oddly curious about this. What is where you work like?

So I'm in grad school, and have several different roles. Lately I've been doing more of the materials science thing, so I've been spending time in a very messy lab. There is stuff everywhere. Large heavy metal vacuum chambers and big blue furnaces are stationed in several places around the room, and there are all sorts of wires and tubes coming out of them. Each is labeled with a printed out image: one of a cowboy, one of a question mark, another with a crown. All of the trash cans are filled to capacity, and there is always a lot of glassware in the sink. If you want space in a fume hood, you've got to move someone else's stuff. Various fancy digital things are scattered around the rooms; some handheld, some too big to move except by taking them apart. The age of any of this equipment spans at least three decades. The price spans six digits.

Occasionally the mess will be punctuated with worn-out hazard signs. There are several items claiming "clean room only," despite the fact that there is no longer a clean room. Some radiation warning signs are on the wrong doors, probably because the X-ray machines were moved.

The juxtaposition of high-tech science with this chaotic environment is curious, but in my experience is a much more common scenario than a perfect lab with perfect equipment and no safety violations.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm no good at describing things, but here's some pictures:

2574327648_75541310db_m.jpg

2574331480_a2006ded33_m.jpg

2573515707_1b56b64395_m.jpg

2573519119_5d25df9aa1_m.jpg

2574345576_356759d40a_m.jpg

2573526459_a716e63af5_m.jpg

2574352754_3fb143d2d6_m.jpg

Bonus points if you can figure out which desk is mine. ;)

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i would say the first desk is yours.

I work at wal-mart. It looks like..wal-mart.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I co-manage a comedy club. It's like controlled chaos at times. The nights we don't have shows, it's like a normal bar. Guitar Hero, Open Mic, sports stuff. I rarely work at night though. I have a office behind the bar. Which is very nice because it is soundproofed and I can work and not be disturbed.

My days consist of coordinating everything from deliveries to staffing to seeing to liquor and maintaining the dispensing systems. Doing payroll, accommodation's and flights for comics, overseeing the maintenance staff. It's a lot of work but I do get to set my own hours and I can do payroll day from home and I love that. I get paid well for what I do but staying on top of things can be a bitch if I take a day or two off (I want to chuck my cell phone in a lake sometimes). I have the evenings to go to my classes and spend time with my kids and Sundays off. The other manager and I get along very well and our schedules are perfect for each ones lifestyle.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's built out of an old Proctor & Gamble manufacturing plant, redone/painted/furnished into office buildings. I work on the 2nd floor; the walls are yellow, the ceiling is white with pipes and HVAC equipment and lights hanging off the ceiling, but all the I-beams and supports are painted white.

Dull grey modular cubicles, more of an "open" environment (we're not enclosed in a cube with a small door) with long tables beside our cubicles providing an L-shaped joint. Windows that don't open, and the building looks out over the Baltimore harbor.

Outside it smells like... something weird, never quite sure how to describe it. Slightly sweet like molasses, sometimes smells like burnt transmission fluid. There's a plant next to the campus on one side, and a plant on the other. The neighborhoods around the campus are rowhouses with really shitty roads, quaint dive bars and everything stuffed into this inner-city structure so that it all blends together (funeral home, next to a bakery, next to a bank... next to a school that I never knew existed until I started jogging around those streets, it's too easy to miss). There are several parking lots all awkwardly placed around the ends of the neighborhoods, with a mix between gravel, fresh asphalt, and old worn-out asphalt, rows of parking spots awkwardly placed so they sometimes produce tight spots.

I work on the 2nd floor, which is as I described. The stairwell looks very industrial, painted dirty metal everywhere with cinderblock walls and dirty concrete floors. There are 3 elevator cars which are slow and clunky, definitely old. The 1st floor has a stunning glass lobby with a conference room off to the side with glass walls donning some kind of blur-out stripe around one's general eyesight, assumably to foster some level of privacy in the room. The first floor offices have "cubicles" but they're not really enclosed--more like fancy-schmancy white desks with white fabric walls, some rubbermaid-like stack of drawers next to each one, probably the most "open" looking work environment I've ever seen.

Conference rooms litter the first and 2nd floors, and we have a few Polycom video conferencing systems in there too. We also annexed a floor in an adjacent building, which was furnished by a different company and leased out to us. Not sure how to describe it, it just looks different. The large conference room in that building has a motorized black "curtain" that does a fantastic job eliminating all light while shut.

Lots of extroverts, or extrovert-acting introverts all over the place. Surviving there has always required the ability to pull upon a lot of energy, or at least it used to be like that. Things have slowed down ever since we've grown and many teams are no longer understaffed and such. In all honesty, it's starting to feel too "grown-up" and mature for me; I do long for the crazy fast-paced work environment of earlier years, although I wonder if it's too late for me to make such a transition. It would be a major shock for me to go from the less-fast-paced environment my workplace has become to a start-up company, for example.

Last edited:

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
My workplace is a classroom with 24 desks. There's a wide aisle in the middle of the room, and I have 12 desk facing 12 desks. One one end of the aisle is the chalk board, and on the other end is the interactive whiteboard. In the middle is my cart with laptop/projector/miscelleneous crap. In the back corner of the room is my desk, a small teacher desk buried under papers. There's a long table beside it, also buried under papers. My computer table is also papered up. At the beginning of the year, I manage to be somewhat organized, but by now, I have just given up.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I work in a cube farm, but a reasonably pleasant one at the moment. My desk is covered with papers and a bunch of intrays when I periodically try to get more organised. I have technical documents stuck up around my cubicle, some postcards of bug-eyed fish, a plastic dinosaur (gift from an ex-colleague) and a couple of my drawings, framed. I need a lot of visual clutter.

The windows are floor to ceiling glass and there are really nice views out the windows, apart from the main road next to us.

The actual office is a rabbit warren and after being here nearly a year, I still have to think how to get to a couple of the meeting rooms. There is a small kitchen (cleanliness varies from day to day). There about 30 cubicles at our end of the office. Um. I don't know how to describe it other than typical cubicles. The manager's offices are off a dark corridor, next to the photocopier and fax machine. The store room is small and hot because of the printer and photocopier, and the store cupboard is usually missing anything useful.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
It's a house. The sun is shining outside, so I'm sometimes sat on the grass.. other times I'm indoors on the sofa with the laptop and my papers, and a cat asleep by my feet. There's an aquarium in the corner... african cichlids.

Yep, I'm working at home today.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Usually I work at home, on the couch with my TV dinner table housing my laptop, usually with music blaring for background noise. Other times I go to the Open Eye Cafe in Chapel Hill:

carrboro-open-eye-cafe.jpg

However, since the kids are out of school for the summer and Thing 2's babysitter (who lives in the next town over and has a child in school in our town) is no longer doing pickup and dropoff service, I've been taking the kids to her house and staying to work in her sunroom so I don't have to drive back and forth twice. It's a very pleasant space to be in so I plan to do this as often as possible.

I sit on a green chaise lounge with my laptop and papers. Across the room is a wall of floor-to-ceiling windows with a view of the woods and pond out back. The floor is bamboo, very light and bright. There are potted plants everywhere, candles (which I don't burn), and a windchime in the corner. I think she meditates in there or something. Anyway it's a very nice space to work in and if I remember I'll take pics next week.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I work from home in our dining room
P1010059.jpg

Or I am at a wedding venue such as this one.

fearrington-1-gd.jpg

and this one.

mcculloc.jpg

Or at a hotel or Inn like this one.

image4.jpg

These are some of my clients.

24224_1182542447.jpg

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is it creepy that I know exactly where you work, and that I can be there in less than 15 minutes? It should be.

:thelook:

No, INTJs don't frighten me ;)

I can make any assassination attempt look like an awkward walk in the park with my powers of shadow-Fe.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Then again, it's not the vocal members of this board I should be worried about, it's the nonvocal members who may lurk... :thelook: (edited post)

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Usually I work at home, on the couch with my TV dinner table housing my laptop, usually with music blaring for background noise. Other times I go to the Open Eye Cafe in Chapel Hill:

carrboro-open-eye-cafe.jpg

I love Open Eye, but I find it really difficult to work there. It's so distracting! But then, I don't benefit much from background noise.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I love Open Eye, but I find it really difficult to work there. It's so distracting! But then, I don't benefit much from background noise.

I find background noise very distracting.. but oddly I can live with background tv when I'm working at home. As long as it isn't something too exciting (not usually a problem with television).

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

The ambient noise can be kind of distracting. I usually wear headphones. When I go there with my study buddy in the evenings, we try to get a table in the quiet conference room. It's just so hard for me to focus at home, I find I need to be somewhere to really get much done.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
The ambient noise can be kind of distracting. I usually wear headphones. When I go there with my study buddy in the evenings, we try to get a table in the quiet conference room. It's just so hard for me to focus at home, I find I need to be somewhere to really get much done.

Yeah, I can't get jack done at home. Really, for my work, it's best to go somewhere without internets for awhile.