• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Describe your workplace

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, I can't get jack done at home. Really, for my work, it's best to go somewhere without internets for awhile.

*cough* This may be why one reason why I get more done in the sitter's sunroom. The problem is I need internets for some parts of my work. For the little comprehension passages I write (several are near the bottom of my blog if anyone feels like reading them) I need to fact-check online. Oddly enough there's usually an admonition in the chapters about research skills not to rely on internet resources, but we all do it for the passages.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
*cough* This may be why one reason why I get more done in the sitter's sunroom. The problem is I need internets for some parts of my work. For the little comprehension passages I write (several are near the bottom of my blog if anyone feels like reading them) I need to fact-check online. Oddly enough there's usually an admonition in the chapters about research skills not to rely on internet resources, but we all do it for the passages.

Yep, I deliberately don't put the internet on in the room I work in, so that I am forced to walk to a new room to waste time reading email or a forum!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Here's where I've been working, and hopefully will continue through the summer:

Pond and woods view is a bit blurry, but rest assured it's lovely.
061808_09251.jpg

I can look out this window and see the boy whenever I like. He's usually in the sandbox. Note minifridge where my son's sitter has been leaving bottled waters and snacks for me:
061808_09252.jpg

My "desk":
061808_09241.jpg

Delilah

We all got it comin' kid
MBTI Type
INTP
The place where I work is just an average cubicle farm. There's little else to see but eggshell white dividers, each one containing a stopped figure in some drab shade of grey. The sound is unremarkable: just the usual grinding of teeth, the soft sounds of tinny, flavorless music, and people sounding out impactful words to add to intra-office memos.

The main aisle dividing the right side of the office from the left is just wide enough for two people to walk uncomfortably side by side, rubbing clammy shoulders and bumping bony hips. In some sort of weird trick of perspective, it appears to descend downwards endlessly, leaving anyone traveling that path with the feeling that they are standing at the top of an endless valley of slowly writhing grey.

After an indeterminately long time spent walking, a worker will find a fork in the aisle. One often makes the mistake of traveling down the right hand path, but there is little worth noting over that way.

Along the left hand path, though, things truly start to get interesting. The tone and nature of activity change. Twenty paces down, you start to notice it: hunched, gnarled office veterans scamper, scurry, and lurch across the aisle. They all make a high-pitched hum in a jarringly discordant unintentional mockery of harmony. Trails of ink-stained papers are left in their wake. They never pick them up as they hurl themselves from cube to cube. They never look back.

As one descends further down the path, closer to the executive cubes, the hum crescendos and intensifies. There's a smell down there, too: a potpourri of cheap colognes that gently lick your nose and whip themselves into your clothes, like flames made of wet cardboard.

Towards the end of the path, the smells and sounds come to a fever pitch. Some glitch in the air conditioning has the saccharine scented air swirling around you, and the hums become a cacophony of howls.

Neckties hang from the ceiling, like a sea of black daggers threatening to lacerate the top of your head if you dare to stand up straight.

I've never been further down the path than that, but somehow, I KNOW what is beyond. The vision of it burns itself into your mind as you turn and flee to your desk: clapping, capering office workers, yelping wordless cries and swirling about a jagged throne of scintillating diamonds and rubies. Bright flashes of red light paint executive faces as they fawn sycophantically for the attention of the CEO.

As I said, the journey along that path is far more entertaining than heading to the right. That trail only ends in rainbows, unicorns, and jolly elves.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The office is one of several of a manifold publishing company. My group's workspace is the only of its kind, incorporating desk places into a spacious enclosure -- whose size and decorations are redolent of a sitcom set. I love it.

grendiecat

MBTI Type
ENFJ
right--a bunch of cubicles here too--i work in one back in a corner, some view of the outdoors but i never see it because my desk is like a foxhole--busy all day, barely look up, totally focussed, pictures of fun stuff from trips, pictures of my beautiful son on my storage cabinets above me, but i never see the pictures myself, buried in two monitors at once, on phone all day long with patients. loud colleague to the south--always have to get him off his speaker phone yacking to the world

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I work in a control center so it looks pretty techy. Kinda like this:
spacex-launch-control-center.jpg

Look at all that SCADA. <3

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sort of open plan, sort of cubicles. The cubicle walls are only like five feet high, and I have a standing desk, so I can creep on everybody while I work. :devil:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Open plan. The cubicles where I am are only 3 feet tall. Lots of people have interesting trinkets on their desk, like action figures, plants, etc. The highlight of mine includes two dead crows, a black dragon I call Snoggorth and a Yoda Pez dispenser.

Snoggorth currently has a vegetable sticker for Orange Peppers (Product of Holland) on his forehead.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
wtSIIMOt6PpVA4rutby0DxADq0o19rs69KpAkuBGsD9Jy1iz2BVCcDk2zy5GEjp4gY9o=w5120-h2880-rw-no

Black and grey cabinet to the left, red box touching it, yellow box on the right are mine. Plate on the floor is where cars go. This is my battlestation.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
a loading dock... it's big and loud and there are stairs up to a mezzanine that I end up running up and down all day long and boxes and trucks everywhere... and it's dirty enough that when it's hot out I end up with a line where the dirt stops at my socks and I have to go home and take a shower to feel like a human being again. also, I'm pretty sure that if I actually described in detail I could be FIRED :unsure:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It varies. It's either my couch, the armchair in my bedroom, a treadmill at the gym, or literally anywhere else with wi-fi.

/livingthedream

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Boring. Desk, computer, papers with scribbles for notes. Usually a drink cup. I am very boring and plain when it comes to work. My tools are what surround me and that's usually it. As a programmer my tools are on the computer. My work desktop usually has a minimum of 15 things open at once and about 10-15 I'm windows open from various people I work with. Work is work for me. I come on here or chat with GF to socialize. I don't really socialize at work. Very quite, reserved, and work.

Put me in a place that is physical and I shine a whole lot more and become alot more social and active. My tools are the machines and I am usually flipping things around, spinning stuff, tossing them, seeing how fast or accurate I can do things. I really enjoy physical labor.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Lord of the Flies legitimised by external rules misappropriating concepts of 'natural selection' without consciously understanding what that actually means.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Open cubicle, mundane office work space with desktop computers and laptops, the usual rigamarole. Some people like to decorate their spaces, some don't. They have to be there 8, 10, even 12 hours a day, so they make it look like home. I don't.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Healthcare office. I have my own cubicle/space now which I like since it's separate from the others and I can play Pandora. Sometimes organized, sometimes a mess depending on my mood and workload. A few plants, pictures, cute gifts co-workers have given me. I have a window but the view it's obstructed. [MENTION=26046]Dyslexxie[/MENTION] & [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION], what professions are you guys in? I'm curious.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Messy around the sides. Various biographies, theory books and pieces of music I've half written then lost interest all mixed up hastily.

I try to leave some clear space on my desk so I can work and see out the window. I have some folders for current university work. There is also a beer fridge in the corner in case I get thirsty.