User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ESFP

Default Can ESFP make a good cop?

I recently became fastinated about the Myer Brigg Type Indicator, and took the test to see what I fall under. Earlier I came out to be an ESFJ, but when I took it again not too long ago, I fell into ESFP (which makes more sense for my personality).

Anyway, I am a junior majoring in Criminal Justice and I will most likely start my career as a police officer or a sheriffs deputy. Since it can be stressful, I was wondering if I have the proper personality for the job. I've tried to look around to see if my personality type matches the career, but I got no results that says its a good job or not for me. However, I've learned from other sources that people with an TJ will enjoy being a police officer better than an FP, but the fact that I am more people oriented, pratical, and rely on immediate action sounds like I could be fit for it.

Even though it doesn't look like a perfect career match for me, do you guys think I will find this job enjoyable, or at least interesting?

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm no expert on MBTI, but I am an aspiring police officer (likely to be hired here pretty soon)... I'd say not to get hung up on personality type too much and what these websites/books say is ideal/not ideal. I think your success would be more dependent on maturity level than MBTI type. Obviously this is something you want, so you're just wondering if you're cut out for it. Have you been on any ride alongs with local departments? If not, I highly recommend doing that to get a front seat view (literally) of the job... I think it could give you a good handle on whether it's a good fit or not.

As for the "will I find this job enjoyable/interesting" - if you don't mind baby sitting and paper work, you may potentially have a blast!

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

You'll approach the job differently than your fellow TJ officers, and you will both bring your strengths and weaknesses to that same job. Do not underestimate the strengths that you have. SPs are amazing at responding in a crisis-situation, they are amazing at reading bodylanguage when dealing with people and understanding the situation, and as an ESFP you are likely to be charismatic and good with people. All those skills will benefit you on the job.

The things you will likely want to work on are the theory behind the job (knowing the law, and the regulations) and the administration and organization that comes with it. If you can understand why those 3 things are so important, then it should be no problem for you to deal with them, even if they do not turn out to be your favorite part of the job
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    You'll approach the job differently than your fellow TJ officers, and you will both bring your strengths and weaknesses to that same job. Do not underestimate the strengths that you have. SPs are amazing at responding in a crisis-situation, they are amazing at reading bodylanguage when dealing with people and understanding the situation, and as an ESFP you are likely to be charismatic and good with people. All those skills will benefit you on the job.

The things you will likely want to work on are the theory behind the job (knowing the law, and the regulations) and the administration and organization that comes with it. If you can understand why those 3 things are so important, then it should be no problem for you to deal with them, even if they do not turn out to be your favorite part of the job
    Good advice/insight.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by TylerFromTexas View Post
    I recently became fastinated about the Myer Brigg Type Indicator, and took the test to see what I fall under. Earlier I came out to be an ESFJ, but when I took it again not too long ago, I fell into ESFP (which makes more sense for my personality).

Anyway, I am a junior majoring in Criminal Justice and I will most likely start my career as a police officer or a sheriffs deputy. Since it can be stressful, I was wondering if I have the proper personality for the job. I've tried to look around to see if my personality type matches the career, but I got no results that says its a good job or not for me. However, I've learned from other sources that people with an TJ will enjoy being a police officer better than an FP, but the fact that I am more people oriented, pratical, and rely on immediate action sounds like I could be fit for it.

Even though it doesn't look like a perfect career match for me, do you guys think I will find this job enjoyable, or at least interesting?
    SP's lag behind only SJ's in terms of what percentage of police officers come from what group [SJ, SP, NT, NF] and significantly outnumber any N type.

No, ESFPs aren't capable of being good cops. Become a prostitute instead.
    I really like cats and food.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

You can do it!

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Should we give you a definitive yes or no answer to such a question? If you think we should, then I'd strongly advise you not to go into law enforcement. While stereotyping and generalizations may help some aspects of human service-type jobs, in excess or done stupidly they're also not things that tend to command respect...which wouldn't bode well for a law enforcement officer.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

yea. i can see it.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I agree. Become a prostitute.

(Srsly though, you can do anything you put your mind to doing. There's already a lot of stuff that stops you from doing things you might really enjoy--this doesn't have to be one of them.)
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge